7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2015 9:59 PM by Silkrooster

Green screen with videos that used to open

aaronp7594123

I just updated to the new creative cloud, which also caused me to have to install quick time in order to import video layers into photoshop as I was trying to edit videos. Now some videos that used to import perfectly fine now import a single green layer and if you try to play the video in photoshop it only plays sound, with no acknowledgement it should be playing video

• 1. Re: Green screen with videos that used to open
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like a codec issue or video card driver issue. Check and make sure the video is not using a special codec that normally is not included with quicktime ex. Techsmith's Camtasia recorder codec. Then see if you can update your video card driver.

If neither of these help let us know.

• 2. Re: Green screen with videos that used to open
            aaronp7594123 Level 1

I went back and tried to open it again, to try and test the codec, having changed nothing, and it imported perfectly fine. No idea what fixed it, but I'll take it. Thanks for your help none the less silkrooster

• 3. Re: Green screen with videos that used to open
              aaronp7594123 Level 1

Never mind... I had converted one of the videos to a .mov, so apparently if I convert them to a .mov it works. I guess I can deal with that, I just have no idea what the problem would be

• 4. Re: Green screen with videos that used to open

OK, sounds like codec then. The mov format is a native quicktime format whereas avi is not and quicktime only supports a small selection of codecs out of the box. Since audio and video each have their own codec it is very possible for just one or the other play.

• 5. Re: Green screen with videos that used to open
                  aaronp7594123 Level 1

Okay, that sounds pretty plausible, how would I go about fixing it, so quicktime can use the codecs for avi?

• 6. Re: Green screen with videos that used to open
                    aaronp7594123 Level 1

Also the videos will open in quicktime fine, just not photoshop cc 2014. Also I converted them from mp4, as they were orginally, to mp4, using freemake converter, and they will import fine now. Must be some odd encoding method photoshop is struggling with

• 7. Re: Green screen with videos that used to open

I don't know how old the videos or the converter is, however a few years ago and that maybe generous both Microsoft and Apple had an mp4 format and they were not compatible with each other. Eventually Apply won because of the h.264 codec. It was better quality and compressed better.

If it plays in other programs, then the codec has to be there in one form or another. It could be that quicktime uses it internal codecs and photoshop is looking for those installed on your computer. (guessing)

There use to be a small program that would read a video file and tell you what the codec is. I don't recall the name at the moment but a quick search on download.com by cnet should provide a link if it is still available and for your current computer. (whether it has been updated or not)

On the same site, you can search for codecs. Be wary installing them, not all are up to par. There are some people who have other intentions for the codecs than what they were written for. Some require that the codecs be used for personal use only unless you pay them a fee which could be a high amount in some cases.

Use google and bing to search the author to see if there are any complaints.

However if you are able to convert them to another format, then go ahead as long as it works and you don't have to deal with con-artists and high fees.

That said, it doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen I have read complaints about it.