3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2015 7:16 PM by bighit

Wont import with layers from AI

bighit

Hi, I am a newbie at this, but I didnt think it would be this hard, I need to get all the layers to import from AI to AE, this seems simple even to me so I dont understand why I am here about to kick my computer over this,I've done some research and found out that not all my layers are top layers but instead sublayers, but the problem is that they are text layers so I cant just open a new layer and a text box on each layer since i want the letters to keep their position .Someone please help SOS. Also any tips for a newbie in both AI and AE are appreciated the only experience I have is with photoshop but AI text functions are much better. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Wont import with layers from AI
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You need to run an Object --> Release to Layers in AI. That's all there is to it. If you use specific appearances, they may require to be expanded.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Wont import with layers from AI
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As I understand your problem you have some text areas in Illustrator and you want to break up the text into layers and not disturb the position. Probably the easiest way to do this would be to convert your text layers to outlines, then release to layers, then drag the released layers to the top so they are all first tier layers, then import as a composition.

If it's not individual letters you want to put on a separate layer, but words, then you can keep the text layers, just type and position each word on a separate layer. There is no handy way to break apart individual words in Illustrator and distribute them on separate layers without converting the text to outlines.

Another option would be to move your illustrator text to Photoshop and maintain the text layers, then import the Photoshop file as a composition and then convert the text to editable layers and use text animators to break up the words.

Unfortunately, I don't have any idea what you are trying to do with these text layers or what they look like so I can't give you specifics. Show us the illustrator file and explain what you are trying to do in detail and maybe we can be of more help.

• 3. Re: Wont import with layers from AI
              bighit Level 1

Thank you guys i figured it out, the problem was that when i "released to layers" it created sublayers and thats why they wouldnt import as their own layers into AE i simply dragged them all out of under the layer 1 to make them top layers and voila sorry if im confusing i really am so new at this and suck at describing at the same time thank you for your help!