12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 7:00 AM by roundsk

Where does Lightroom display color space?

roundsk

Where does Lightroom display color space assigned to an image? It should be in the metadata panel. In Bridge it displays Color Mode: RGB/B&W and Color Space: sRGB/Gray Gamma 2.2. Or does Lightroom convert everything to Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB?

• 1. Re: Where does Lightroom display color space?
          elie-d Level 4

LR's internal working space is a variation of the ProPhoto RGB space, ProPhoto RGB's gamut but with a linear tone curve instead of the standard gamma 1.8 curve. This is because it is primarily a Raw editor and Raw sensor data is linear and because the ProPhoto gamut will more or less include all the colors most digital cameras can capture (depending on the filters in front of the lens, some cameras may capture ultra-red that is outside ProPhoto RGB). Retaining the linearity of the data makes editing calculations easier, faster, more flexible and more accurate since data has not been lost to the quantization errors involved in gamma correction. So for a Raw file the workflow is the assignation of the camera profile and conversion from that to linear ProPhoto RGB. However, the display data from the Develop module (the data sent to your monitor) undergoes a further conversion that involves the application of the sRGB tone curve, which is sort of gamma 2.2 but not exactly. This is because linear image data looks terrible - very dark and flat. Thus, the display is in a hybrid space called Melissa RGB, ProPhoto primaries and sRGB tonal response curve. At the time of export or printing a conversion is done from linear ProPhoto RGB to the output space designated by the user, which can be any RGB space - ProPhoto RGB, Adobe RGB, sRGB or any other one, provided you have an ICC profile for it in your OS's Color folder..

Previews used by the Library module are jpgs in the Adobe RGB space.

• 2. Re: Where does Lightroom display color space?
            roundsk Level 1

That explains why & how color space is changed, but really the main question was "where does Lightroom display what color space is embedded in the image file whether its a jpeg, Tif or DNG file? For instance, what if I wanted to convert all my sRGB photos to Adobe RGB, how would I know which ones to choose & how would I search for them when there is no color space field to use as a filter in the library? In Bridge I can filter by color profile.

• 3. Re: Where does Lightroom display color space?
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no way in Lightroom to show the colorspace of the source images unfortunately. There are times that it would be useful but the Lightroom folks clearly chose to not make it available.  I think the idea is that there is no point in doing that as the source space is not useful as one touch of the saturation slider can bring your images outside of the source color space of the file. Lightroom only uses this space to map the source file into its internal working space after which the color can go anywhere depending on your Develop settings. Also, raw files (the main use goal for Lightroom) do not have a color space at all even if your camera pretends it does (it only applies to the jpeg preview that every raw file has embedded).

The general philosophy behind Lightroom is that you never ever touch your source images. This way you retain the maximum quality at the end as you never get generational losses. This is true even if the originals are sRGB jpegs. If you need adobeRGB copies for a set of files in your library you simply export from Lightroom and trash the exported copies when you are done with them. No need to keep those around as you have the highest quality copies in your library from which you can always generate new first generation copies.

• 4. Re: Where does Lightroom display color space?
                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Create a smart collection with Color / contains / cmyk or whatever.

I don't think I've seen the color space displayed anywhere in the Metadata panel or elsewhere in the UI.

• 5. Re: Where does Lightroom display color space?
                  elie-d Level 4

For rendered photos (jpg, tiff or psd) it is not displayed because LR treats them as though they are Raw files (proprietary Raws or DNG) and  Raw files are not in a color space. The space of an input RGB image is considered to be irrelevant for the user although LR does use that information when converting the image data to its internal space and linearizing it. Input color space is not even one of the available metadata filters.

Lightroom is not Bridge and although there may be functions that are common to both, not all of Bridge's tools are appropriate to LR.

• 6. Re: Where does Lightroom display color space?
                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

Jao vdL wrote:

Also, raw files (the main use goal for Lightroom) do not have a color space at all even if your camera pretends it does (it only applies to the jpeg preview that every raw file has embedded).

I supect that this is the main reason...

• 7. Re: Where does Lightroom display color space?
                      roundsk Level 1

Thank you so much for your answers! I didn't expect a response so quickly & by several people. Along this same thought.....when I try to export a B&W photo there are no B&W color profiles to choose from, even by clicking "other". It only gives me sRGB, Adobe RGB & ProPhoto RGB even though the embedded profile is Gray Gamma 2.2. I'm new to this forum. Am I supposed to start a new thread?

• 8. Re: Where does Lightroom display color space?
                        roundsk Level 1

Thank you so much for your answers! I didn't expect a response so quickly & by several people. Along this same thought.....when I try to export a B&W photo there are no B&W color profiles to choose from, even by clicking "other". It only gives me sRGB, Adobe RGB & ProPhoto RGB even though the embedded profile is Gray Gamma 2.2. I'm new to this forum. Am I supposed to start a new thread?

• 9. Re: Where does Lightroom display color space?
                          roundsk Level 1

• 10. Re: Where does Lightroom display color space?
                            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom cannot export to single channel files, only to RGB based ones. So if you export a grayscale file, it will always generate a RGB file with equal intensities for all three channels.

• 11. Re: Where does Lightroom display color space?
                              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

The ExifMeta plugin (free) will display the color profile in the Metadata panel.

• 12. Re: Where does Lightroom display color space?
                                roundsk Level 1

Thanks, John! It works & now Lr will display other missing metadata as I choose!