6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2015 6:54 AM by A.T. Romano

Photos jittering up and down?

Styve100

Hi all, as a new user to elements 13, I did a quick movie as a practise from some photos and videos.

It was mainly photos with a few clips and was in total about 6 mins long.

I did notice when watching it on TV the photos were slowly moving up and down and were fairly low res, ie horizontal lines. any advice on using photos imported in elements 13?

• 1. Re: Photos jittering up and down?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Styve100

What computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 13? For now, I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

How you (manually) or the project (automatically) setups up the project has a large influence on the results as well as using export settings

that are consistent with the project setup. With that thought, in order to evaluate your situation to get to "better", here is what we need to know

1. What are the properties of your source files

a. photos - pixel dimension (width and height in pixels) and how many photos

b. videos - what format and other properties....knowing the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video can be used to infer this type of information if you have no other means of obtaining it....if interlaced video and destination is DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, knowing the Field Order: Upper Field First vs Lower Field First.

2. What did you or the project set as the project preset to match the properties of your source(s)? If you do not know, please tell us what you see under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General for

Editing Mode

Timebase

Frame Size

Pixel Aspect Ratio

3. Choice of export...export to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc (DVD or Blu-ray)? Please describe your export settings...

did you use Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset of NTSC_Dolby DVD or NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD? Your mention of TV viewing

suggests that your export was a burn to disc and that you are playing back that DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc on the TV's DVD Player.

Please review and consider. If I have assumed incorrectly on any of your details, please let me know. If there are questions that you do not

understand, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will clarify until we are in sync since the answers are important. We can go at whatever

pace in the discussion that you want.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 2. Re: Photos jittering up and down?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Styve100

After posting in your thread (post 1), I noticed another thread posted by you today.

Best workflow for premier 13 and how to produce dvd's?

Based on the information in that thread, you appear to be using Premiere Elements 13 on Mac.

I will review the contents of that other thread and comment on its contents in that other thread.

What I have written in the thread that we are in now is applicable in principle to Premiere Elements 13 Mac as well as Windows.

ATR

• 3. Re: Photos jittering up and down?
              Styve100 Level 1

Hi, thanks you are corect, sorry I didnt post the info here, yes it is a imac as detailed, the photos I included were just dragged out of iphoto which i have done previously with other software and sees fine, I assume the original lpg file really or as near as.

• 4. Re: Photos jittering up and down?
                Styve100 Level 1

Hi, as mentioned earlier, I dragged these pics from iphoto, an example is, dimensions, 3648 × 2736 and 5.7MB inn size.

• 5. Re: Photos jittering up and down?
                  Styve100 Level 1

Hi, I did use the suggest export to DVD PAL (UK) option with various settings i assumed were to get the best quality.

• 6. Re: Photos jittering up and down?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Styve100

Thanks for the replies.

For a typical photo slideshow with destination DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc, you will see the recommendation to use photos with pixel dimensions not to exceed 1000 x 750 pixels.

But, with the more recent versions, you can get away with far more than that because of computer resources and Premiere Elements as a 64 bit application. You need define your own limits before you go resizing your photo. Depending on the circumstances, photos oversized for the project settings can cause a variety of problems in the project and at export.

However, no matter how great the resolution of the originals, the end product will be forced to the resolution of the standard - in the case of PAL DVD-VIDEO Standard (4:3) 720 x 576 pixels and PAL DVD-VIDEO 720 x 576 (16:9) that will be stretched to 1056 x 576 by the 16:9 flag for display after encoding.

This is what I would suggest that you evaluate as a mini test run (here I am assuming you are going to a PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen 16:9 destination.)

1. Take a few of your 3648 x 2736 (4:3) photos and crop resize them to 1920 x 1080 16:9.

2. Import those cropped and resized 1920 x 1080 16:9 photos into a new project where the project preset is

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

3. Render the Timeline content and evaluate the quality of the Timeline playback as seen in the Edit area monitor.

4. Depending on what that looks like, then proceed to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset at PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome. If your requirements and details are not as stated, please let us know and

we will modify the above accordingly.

Thank you.

ATR