7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2015 4:27 PM by cyrax037

Copy Timeline to another project? Premiere Elements 11

cyrax037 Level 1

Does anyone know a good way to copy all the elements in a timeline, and put them in a brand new project timeline?

I'm having issues with my short.  I finally got things going like I want them to. But I need to render out the video, and bring it back in to finish up. (Using a lossless codec of course for intermediate files of course)
      but the trouble is, is when I export the video, my clip layers get totally off. They move around,  My masks get jagged and out of place, and clips even change aspect ratio half way though. Its just a total mess, even though it plays fine in the timeline preview.

I've exported a few times, with different settings still the same.  I'm thinking maybe something has degraded in the project file and that's causing it, idk.  So I was thinking maybe if I could copy the timeline and put it in a new project, it might work?    Clipmate isn't working well with Premiere Elements 11, so I was wondering if there was another way?

• 1. Re: Copy Timeline to another project? Premiere Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

cyrax037

In what way is Premiere Elements 11 and ClipMate not working well. It works just fine except the transitions are lost in the copy/paste insert between projects. Please be specific about your issue with the two, and we should be able to work through that workflow successfully. Please go into the details so that I can determine if you are missing important steps in the copy/paste insert or if it is your Timeline content load that is involved in the problems.

Have I talked about this with you before in another thread? If not, then please read my how to blog on Clipmate and Premiere Elements.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

The alternative is to export your Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard (in a format appropriate for the project settings of the second project's settings). And, then import that export into the second project. But, from what you wrote, that is not going to work since what you export is not representing what you think you have.

It sounds to me from what you wrote that you most likely do not have your project settings and export settings in sync. You might be better served going through the usual drill

of

project preset

properties of source media

export settings

drill to rule those likely factors in or out of the problem equation.

ATR

• 2. Re: Copy Timeline to another project? Premiere Elements 11
            cyrax037 Level 1

Well, the clipmate issue is exactly what you described. Not copying the transitions and such. When I copy, I get this dialog box that says unable to copy some elements.

My project relied very heavily on many transitions (most especially the cross dissolve) and without copying those, its not sufficient. It would take me days to redo the transitions and get it back right where I need them to be. Its a very complicated project,  very advanced compared to what your average Elements user would do.
            I was hoping for something that would copy the entire timeline, with the effects, motions, masks, and transitions intact.

As for as the export settings,  those are as they should be. I've never had this problem before.   Its a difficult problem to describe without actually doing a video using screen capture software to show exactly what the exported video looks like compared to the timeline playback.  If very frustrating and hard to put into words.

• 3. Re: Copy Timeline to another project? Premiere Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

cyrax037

As for as the export settings,  those are as they should be. I've never had this problem before.

If you want help, I am here for you and will stick with you until we figure out the why for before and after. We can proceed at what troubleshooting pace you want. Your above comment is an end of line troubleshooting approach. Obviously there is something different, something that should not be. I do not mean to go out of context or overboard on this, but it is written in a play "the eye sees by reflection, so let me be your mirror" I am offering to be your mirror in this instance - user to user in an Adobe Premiere Elements user to user Forum.

If the difficulty in sharing the details is worse than being stuck with the problem, then I understand. But there is always the posting of screenshots of what you are seeing. At face value this should be a simple matter of looking at the properties of the source media, what is done to them before being imported into Premiere Elements, what you are doing with the video in Premiere Elements, and what your export settings are. If all this is hard to put into words, I am offering to help you with making it easier with my questions. Made as technical or non technical as wanted.

What screen capture program? I will investigate to see how that works. If possible, download a tryout of the program to do side by side tests.

What does the Timeline playback look like?

What does the video export look like?

In short, what I said before in the prior thread

It sounds to me from what you wrote that you most likely do not have your project settings and export settings in sync. You might be better served going through the usual drill

of

project preset

properties of source media

export settings

drill to rule those likely factors in or out of the problem equation

There is a difference either in the capture program and/or Premiere Element project. Have you done the classical approach of looking at "what used to be fine" in the present project that is not fine? Do we know if this issue is now specific for this one project or whether it applies to any new project you create moving forward?

Please review and consider.

ATR

• 4. Re: Copy Timeline to another project? Premiere Elements 11
                cyrax037 Level 1

I'm exporting a second test as I type, seeing how that turns out.  If that does the same issues I'm having again,  I will attempt to use my screen capturing/recording software. (I use Open Broadcaster) to make a video of exactly what I have going on in the timeline,  my settings,  and what the finale video looks like and try to narrate it along the way.  That's the only way I know to fully convey what exactly the issue is that is going on cuz its hard to describe what the issues are with the exported video without being able to see it, and see it in comparison with the timeline playback.

I will try this out, and do that and get back to you.

• 5. Re: Copy Timeline to another project? Premiere Elements 11
                  cyrax037 Level 1

OK,  here is a video I made last night that pretty much covers in detail the issues I'm having.  Its kinda long (just under 30min)  but it might help explain whats going on and might help get this fixed.

2015 01 19 0238 00 - YouTube

Thanks for your help!

• 6. Re: Copy Timeline to another project? Premiere Elements 11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

cyrax037

Thanks.

Just wanted to acknowledge that I saw your latest post and will be viewing your video very soon today.

ATR

• 7. Re: Copy Timeline to another project? Premiere Elements 11
                      cyrax037 Level 1

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!