4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2015 7:41 AM by JimHess

import with "smart preview" and "embedded and sidecar" not providing expected result

spidersaregr8

Running paid LR5, OS/X.

1) I'm not able to reference the original image directly from the catalog.

I have about 2TB of mixed jpg, tif, and .nef files to import. They are stored on an external drive.

I would like to build the LR dbase internally, with smart preview, but be able to reference the original high-quality image (which should stay on the external drive) if I want to grab the original to work with it.

I have Imported and have selected 2TB of data to be brought in, smart preview is enabled, "build previews" is set to "embedded and sidecar".

I run the import.

The imported images in the catalog end up with a smart preview rendered, but for the life of me I cannot find how to pull up the original image on the external drive from the image in the catalog.

If I "show original in Finder" within LR-- I get shown the image stored on the internal drive, there's a .dng and a .jpg stored internally.

The original location has a .jpg and a .nef version of the file. I would have expected viewing the image in the catalog to have a link out to the original image as it lives in the location I imported from. Where do I find that link in the catalog or image preview?

Thank you-