1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 3:40 PM by brian.filipiak

How do I prevent anonymous respondents from answering more than once in a format?

jan halvorb29108859

I want to arrange a survey where it is important that the respondants only are able to submit their choice once. Anonymity is also of importance. How do I set this up?

• 1. Re: How do I prevent anonymous respondents from answering more than once in a format?
          brian.filipiak Level 2

You can't.

There is no option in FormsCentral for such a distribution of forms and collection of responses.

Not sure how you reach your audience, and it would be work on your part, but you could do something like this:

• Use an application to generate random serial numbers.
          • Create a mail-merge invitation to your audience, which pulls in one of the random serial numbers in each invitation.
          • When respondents fill out the form, they must fill in a field with the random serial number. This does not preclude them from submitting multiple times.
          • When you are done collecting responses, you filter out any duplicates.

A different approach would be one that came from a department in the state capital in the state I live in. They wanted to collect hundreds of responses, and asked respondents to essentially create their own unique identifier, using the following formula:

• First 2 letters of your Mother's Maiden Name
          • First 3 letters of the Month of your Birth
          • Last 2 letters of your first name
          • 2-digit number of the date of your birth

This method gave them some assurance of the anonymity of the responses.

Hopefully you can come up with something that works for you,

Brian