7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2015 7:44 AM by JimHess

Standalone version won't update

PhotogCda Level 1

I have the CC version of LR installed on my laptop but have maintained the standalone version on my desktop. I've done this so that if I decide, at some point, to terminate my CC subscription, I still will have access to LR for organising and working on RAW files. I attempted to update form v5.6 to v5.7 today and received a message that I needed to log out of LR and install it via the CC app to get the latest version.

Is Adobe no longer supporting the standalone version or is there something else that needs to be done to update it?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Standalone version won't update
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All you need to do is store the installer and your standalone serial number in a safe place. You don't need to maintain both versions on your machine. Then if you ever decide to terminate your creative cloud subscription you can install from the installer. Since you have had the standalone version installed on that computer the serial number will probably still be stored in the operating system. But hold onto the serial number just in case. I only have the creative cloud version installed, but the standalone version can be quickly installed if it's ever necessary.

Actually, you don't really need to store the installer because it is always available for download from Adobe.

• 2. Re: Standalone version won't update
            PhotogCda Level 1

That's a fair point, Jim.  And yeah, all past purchases are listed in my account on the Adobe site so the CD key and installer .exe are there anytime I need them.  I guess all I have to do is make sure I upgrade to the next standalone version when it comes out to maintain the latest RAW conversion capability.

• 3. Re: Standalone version won't update

You wouldn't even have to upgrade to the next version. Let's say that you go through Lightroom 6 staying on creative cloud, and then when Lightroom 7 is released you decide to go back to the standalone version. Historically, any previous version of Lightroom qualifies you to purchase an upgrade version of Lightroom. In fact, if you purchased Lightroom 6 but didn't use it, the installation of Lightroom 7 would still require the original serial number for the version you purchased which was a full version.

• 4. Re: Standalone version won't update
                PhotogCda Level 1

Yeah, as long as upgrades are permitted without skipping versions, you're right.

• 5. Re: Standalone version won't update

It's up to you, of course. Do what ever makes you feel more secure.

• 6. Re: Standalone version won't update
                    PhotogCda Level 1

Even if Adobe stopped the upgrade on any version, LR isn't that expensive to buy anyway.

• 7. Re: Standalone version won't update

Well, who knows what the future holds? Personally, I believe the creative cloud subscription plan is a good choice. I think as people become more accustomed to getting their software that way, more and more will switch to that plan.