5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2007 2:09 AM by waxsteel

Does director work in a 'thin client' setup

waxsteel
      Hi There

I'm working on a project that was supposed to be setup in a single office., with multiple pc's networked together and each running there own copy of my Director Projector . They would all pull data (via the ADO XTRA) from a master pc in the office that had an Access database on it .

Now the client is trying to change things to a "Thin Client " setup - where there are basic workstations (no hard drive - just screen and keyboard) that run off a Terminal Server (local / in the office, I guess) . A single copy of the Director Projector & Access database would need to be installed on this server .

My question is has anyone done this with Director - will it work by running multiple instances of the same projector on the Terminal server or however this kind of thin client setup works.???

I unfortunately don't have the opportunity to test this?

Using Director 8.5 for pc

Any help/ suggestions gratefully received
        • 1. Re: Does director work in a 'thin client' setup
          Level 7
          "waxsteel" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> posted in
          macromedia.director.basics:

> Hi There

Howdy

> Now the client is trying to change things to a "Thin Client " setup -
          > where there are basic workstations (no hard drive - just screen and
          > keyboard) that run off a Terminal Server (local / in the office, I
          > guess)

We used to call those "Dumb Terminals". Good lord, but I haven't seen such
          a setup in a looooong time - and it was using a mini-computer since
          micro-computers weren't up to the task in those days. Not using Windows or
          Mac either.

> My question is has anyone done this with Director - will it work by
          > running multiple instances of the same projector on the Terminal server
          > or however this kind of thin client setup works.???

I haven't done that with any Windows/Mac OS - one of which, of course, is
          required to run a projector. There have been posts in here where people
          are running a single copy of a projector from a server through "Smart
          Terminals" (actual computers), though.

The ticket in those cases was to set the projector (and any external dir
          files) to "read-only" or "locked". See if you can create a simple test
          projector you can run on your client's system that way.

--
          Mark A. Boyd
          Keep-On-Learnin' :)
          • 2. Re: Does director work in a 'thin client' setup
            waxsteel Level 1
            Thanks Mark

"read-only" or "locked" - Hmmm. Not sure why I'd have to do that., though the projector has to modify an external Access Database file to update prices & stats displayed within the Projector. I'll try & find some of these posts with the single copy of a projector being run off a server for multiple users - sounds exactly like what this is.

I've found out that the hardware is known as a "Think Client" box & basically Telnets the server window to the users screen via the box (no pc). There are up to 500 logon accounts on the main server, each with access to the programs & with their own desktops. I'm assured this will probably work with most programs but not sure if the projector falls into that category.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Does director work in a 'thin client' setup
              Level 7
              "waxsteel" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> posted in
              macromedia.director.basics:

> "read-only" or "locked" - Hmmm. Not sure why I'd have to do that.,
              > though the projector has to modify an external Access Database file to
              > update prices & stats displayed within the Projector.

It allows Director (or a projector) to open files that are already open by
              another user/process. You can even see this behavior on your development
              machine if you try to open the same .dir file in two instances of
              Director. Mark as read-only and it will open in both.

I suspect you'll only need to lock the Director files (.dir, .dxr, .cst,
              .cxt), but I don't know what/how the database is designed/accessed.

If they can give you telnet access to the server for testing purposes, it
              might speed up the dev time a little. Of course, you'll still want to test
              from their terminals at an early stage and throughout development.

> There are up to 500 logon accounts on the main server, each with access
              > to the programs & with their own desktops. I'm assured this will
              > probably work with most programs but not sure if the projector falls
              > into that category.

I would be concerned about 500 possible instances of a multimedia
              application running on a single machine, but if yours is light on the
              RAM/Processor requirements, it could work.

--
              Mark A. Boyd
              Keep-On-Learnin' :)
              • 4. Re: Does director work in a 'thin client' setup
                Level 7
                waxsteel wrote:
                > "read-only" or "locked" - Hmmm. Not sure why I'd have to do that.,

Projectors try to open files (for example their xtras and .ini file) with
                full access (read+write). If one instance of a projector gets read+write
                access, additional instances will not be able to open those files.

> though the projector has to modify an external Access Database file
                > to update prices & stats displayed within the Projector.
                <snip>
                > There are up to 500 logon accounts on the main server,

Are you sure it's safe to use an Access database with potentially that many
                people updating it at the same time? Somewhere in the region of 5-30 is
                normally regarded as the limit, certainly speed-wise but I'd also be
                concerned about data integrity. SQL Server, MySQL, or similar, would be
                safe.

Andrew

• 5. Re: Does director work in a 'thin client' setup
                  waxsteel Level 1
                  Thanks for that.

Realistically I don' think they'll be anywhere near 500 people using this application (think I just got quoted that impressive figure about their server), so the access database will probably hold up.

I'll have to try & beg a test opportunity - if the database works I've got to then check that the printomatic xtra I'm using still works - not sure if it will recognise printers that are local to the telnet box but not to the server thats running the projector - telnet is not something I've ever used so its a big grey area to me but the client seems confident with the durability of their setup.

If all else fails I'll have to press them to setup with normal pc's. At least I know that works.