3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2015 6:17 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12- Why does it not save the encoding process?

gajake15

If I encode a project to DVD and save the project before I close the program, why does premiere re-encode the same exact project if I open it up again at a later date?  Does it not save the encoded files in a default location for future use?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12- Why does it not save the encoding process?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

gajake15

You ask

Does it not save the encoded files in a default location for future use?

Short answer to your question as worded - No.

But, please read on....

A particular Premiere Elements 12 project will generated encoded files during its burn to DVD. And, these encoded files will be saved to the location

designated by you in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks/Disc Encoding. While the encoding and burning are going on, you can go to that default

location to see Encoded Files Folder full of folder and files, starting with Sequence 01 Folder and temp folder Folder.

1. After you hit Done in the burn dialog, all you have left in the Encoded Files Folder for that particular project is the ....... Sequence 01 Folder/DVD Folder/ which might look like this

Encoded Files.JPG

I have found that those components of the Encoded Files Folder remain unless you save close the project. After you save

close reopen that particular project, the Encoded Files Folder will contain just a lone empty Sequence 01 Folder.

Based on the above, I assume that that particular project is using those encoding files for that session only and that

multiple encoding burning within the same session will use those temporary files.

So, Yes, the program does save encoded files for its use during the encoding burning, but No it does not save them

for future use as you implied, not even in that same project after it has been saved closed reopened.

Those have been my observations. Any Why answers need to come from Adobe who created the program.

Please let me know if I have targeted your question. If any questions or clarification needed, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12- Why does it not save the encoding process?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

gajake15

Add On...if as presented...any thought of copying the DVD Folder of the Sequence 01 Folder in Encoded Files Folder before the save close of the original session of the project.

And, then pasting that DVD Folder into the empty Sequence 01 Folder in Encoded Files Folder that exists when you reopen the saved closed project?

I have not tried that yet. But, I will.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12- Why does it not save the encoding process?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

gajake15

Add On to posts 2 which was a follow up of post 1.

The thought in post 2 does not work. You cannot fool the project into thinking it was never saved closed to lose its Sequence 01 Folder/DVD Folder content.

From what I have observed, the bottom line is that the encoded files generated by the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc are essentially temporary

files who roles are during the encoding, compiling, burning of the currently opened session of a given project. Their benefit in expediting the whole burn to process

relates to consecutive burn tos in that section which remains open after the first burn to....compare burn to time for first burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc = 20 minutes versus burn to time for second burn to right after the first,  DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc = 7 minutes. But save close and reopen that same project, and the first burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc = 20 minutes.

Please review and consider the observations, and let me know if you have found the same. Sounds like you have. But, I cannot offer a why. Just the generic "it is what it is" at this time.

ATR