5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 9:06 AM by A.T. Romano

Why when I go to import video footage the videos show up zoomed in?

haydend58035046

Hello. I just bought the premiere elements programs so it is still relatively unfamiliar to me. I put in my SD card directly to import my videos from a JVC everio camera which are  MOV files. When the videos import into my project, they show up with the camera angle zoomed into the right of of the frame therefore things are cut out. When I playback the footage in VLC player or directly on the camera, the footage is fine. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

• 1. Re: Why when I go to import video footage the videos show up zoomed in?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

haydend

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are you certain that your video files have a .mov file extension and not .mod? If .mod, .mod widescreen? What is the frame size?

What is set for the project preset? If you do not know, please tell us what you see for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio

under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

What workspace of the program are you working in - Expert or Quick or the Timeline or Sceneline?

Under Edit Menu/Preferences/General is there a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size?

If you right click the Edit area monitor and select Magnification, is the setting for "Fit"?

If you look at the -+ slider at the top of the Timeline or Filmstrip, is the lever pushed all the way to zoom in?

We can also look at the Scale setting to make sure it is 100% in the Motion Panel.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Any questions or clarification need, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why when I go to import video footage the videos show up zoomed in?
            haydend58035046 Level 1

My mistake, they are .mod. I am working in the quick workspace. I'm working with adobe elements 13.I selected default to frame size. When I go to import the videos, all of the thumbnails show up already zoomed in. The magnification is set for fit.

Hayden

• 3. Re: Why when I go to import video footage the videos show up zoomed in?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hayden

What computer operating system and are these mod widescreen 16:9. There are considerations with either of those factors.

What do you see if you switch to the Expert workspace? Same thing?

Please go to the Expert workspace, and there open Project Assets. Find your file in there; right click the file; select Properties from the drop down menu that appears.

What is the frame size that you see there, 540 x 480 or other? What is the frame rate? What is the frame size and frame rate expected from your camera settings?

There was an acceptable (for most) way to deal with mod widescreen files in versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 13. But in the 13, there is an unresolved

problem using the old workaround to get the aspect ratio correct. If this turns out to be a mod widescreen issue, we may have to go to file conversion before import of the file into a Premiere Elements 13 project. Is the camera that recorded this video your primary source of video now and in the foreseeable future?

ATR

• 4. Re: Why when I go to import video footage the videos show up zoomed in?
                haydend58035046 Level 1

First off, thank you for taking the time to work through this with me. I'm new to windows and not very tech savvy. The expert workspace did show the same thing. I'm running windows 8. Since everything seems to be in order and this camera is my camera of the foreseeable future, I think we should talk about just converting the files.

Hayden

• 5. Re: Why when I go to import video footage the videos show up zoomed in?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hayden

Thanks for the reply.

There are several free programs to consider.

1. If you have Movie Maker 2012 installed - Bring your .mod widescreen into a 16:9 project and export/"Save Movie" using For Computer 854 x 480 Widescreen.

2. Good program is MPEG Streamclip.

http://www.squared5.com/

Detailed settings to be supplied if you want to explore this choice.

Please review the above and then let us know if you need more details on the programs mentioned.

ATR