5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 11:09 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I sync and switch between multiple camera angles?

kwixster

I shot a concert with 3 HD cameras. I though it would be relatively simple to sync and cut between them but it's turning out to be much harder than I expected. I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this. Anybody have any tips and tricks on how best to combine these into a single multi-camera video?

• 1. Re: How do I sync and switch between multiple camera angles?
          JMJarrige Level 2

Multicamera editing is not easy with Premiere Elements.

If you work in Mac environment, you can use Final Cut Pro X or Premiere Pro, they have multicamera functions which

permit simple editing by showing simultaneously video clips and you can choose by clicking the one you want to have

in the final movie.

In Windows environment, you have tools like Premiere Pro, or Sony Vegas Pro or Magix video deluxe Pro that are

natively supporting multicamera editing.

One important point is synchronizing the clips. If you are musical expert, you can do it with the sound tracks and align on the

sound curves, manually. Not easy for me, but I have a friend in my video group who makes it very well. In Mac environment,

Final Cut Pro X has an automatic function to synchronize video tracks on sound track basis. In windows, I know

there is a program : PluralEyes which does this synchro.

These different tools are not free unfortunately.

Best regards

JM

• 2. Re: How do I sync and switch between multiple camera angles?
            PanosGR Level 1

I made a video with multiple cameras (2). The sync was made by the sound and waves of speech (it was a interview video). Not to much difficult, try to zoom a lot the sound bar and make them start at the same ''wave''

• 3. Re: How do I sync and switch between multiple camera angles?
              kwixster Level 1

So Premier Pro for will do multicamera editing? If I could see the 4 views and switch between them with transitions like a live switcher it would be worth it. Can you confirm that Premier Pro for PC will do this? For only $20 per month (currently on Amazon) it's doable. Thanks much--very helpful.

• 4. Re: How do I sync and switch between multiple camera angles?
                PanosGR Level 1

Even premiere elements can do this. My opinion is to check out what do you need and what the program can give you, so if you can do your job with Premiere elements there is no need to pay for Pro. Just my opinion.

For your info, I made this video with multiple cameras in Adobe Premiere Elements 12.

Panos

• 5. Re: How do I sync and switch between multiple camera angles?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

kwixster

I would 2nd PanoGR's comments.

I and others have long written that Premiere Elements can be used effectively for multi camera editing. Opacity or cuts can be used in the process. I prefer Opacity.

Some have commented that optimal is three camera footages. Premiere Pro is not a forced choice for this type of editing, although it does have a special feature for multi camera editing. One view of the Premiere CC feature can be found

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Tutorial | Performing Multi-Camera Editing - YouTube

ATR