18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2015 12:45 PM by creative edge

    Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite

    JJ Millen

      After the latest update (no idea which one but the latest update) Premiere Pro cc just keeps freezing up constantly. There's no indication what brings it up but after different periods of time I just get the apple wheel and the entire program freezes up. I force quit and get the "sorry, a serious problem has occured", blabla. Sometimes it's in the middle of cutting a clip, sometimes it's while trimming. There isn't a single indication what causes it. At first I thought it was only because of using a multicam clip, but that's not the case anymore. I tried reducing memory to other apps, deleting preview files, deleting autosaves, turning off autosave altogether, deleting Adobe Premiere 8.0 preference file, changing permissions, basically everything in this post: Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC keeps crashing... (Which now also seems totally neglected by Adobe).

       

      Believe me, there's hardly a thing I haven't tried.


      It's getting REALLY frustrating now and it's time something is done about this. Yes I know, "don't just say it's frustrating, explain the problem", but that fase has passed now. I'm paying for this product and it needs to work like it should.

      Also I know I'm not the only one who's having these problems.

       

      My specs are:

      OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

      MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

      2,3 GHz Intel Core i7

      16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

      NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

        • 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC freezes up constantly
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

          Hi JJ,

          JJ Millen wrote:

           

          basically everything in this post: Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC keeps crashing... (Which now also seems totally neglected by Adobe).

           

          It is not neglected. I participated in that post numerous times. I locked it. It was supposed to be about crashing and freezing on Windows but it got out of control for reasons I mentioned. Because I locked it, now you've created your own post (about your Mac issue not a Windows issue), which is great.

           

          JJ Millen wrote:

           

          After the latest update (no idea which one but the latest update) Premiere Pro cc just keeps freezing up constantly.

           

          If you have the "latest version," you do not have "Premiere Pro CC," you have Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2). That is what I need to confirm. Go to Premiere Pro > About Premiere Pro and look at the bottom of the dialog box. If you have the latest version, it should be at 8.2. Is it? Please make sure you're on 8.2 and test with a brand new project, not an updated one.

           

          JJ Millen wrote:

           

          There's no indication what brings it up but after different periods of time I just get the apple wheel and the entire program freezes up. I force quit and get the "sorry, a serious problem has occured", blabla. Sometimes it's in the middle of cutting a clip, sometimes it's while trimming. There isn't a single indication what causes it.

           

          I see your system info, so thanks for that. I could use more details. FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

          I have no idea what kind of media you're using, the kind of project your'e working with, or what kind of media drives you're using, for example.

           

          JJ Millen wrote:

           

          Believe me, there's hardly a thing I haven't tried.

           

          How about contacting support directly. Have you tried that? Be sure to ask for the video queue: Contact Customer Care

           

          JJ Millen wrote:

           

          It's getting REALLY frustrating now and it's time something is done about this. Yes I know, "don't just say it's frustrating, explain the problem", but that fase has passed now. I'm paying for this product and it needs to work like it should.

          Also I know I'm not the only one who's having these problems.

           

          I'm sorry, but I do need your help to help you. Let us know if your test with a brand new 8.2 project works for you. We have found that works for other Mac users.

           

          Thanks,

          Kevin

          • 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC freezes up constantly
            JJ Millen Level 1

            Hi,

             

            Thanks for the quick reply.

             

            ---

             

            It is not about the past times you may or may not have participated, but about the latest message from rob654 and my last messages in that thread (which are clearly not about Windows).

             

            ---

             

            I checked that and it says 8.2.0. (65) build.

             

            ---

             

            Here are all the checkpoints mentioned in that thread, applicable to my project:

            - Version 8.2.0;

            - My Creative Cloud says Premiere Pro is up-to-date;

            - Operating system is IS X Yosemite version 10.10.1 (14B25);

            - My source footage has these properties:

            Type: MPEG Movie

            File Size: 4,0 GB

            Image Size: 1920 x 1080

            Frame Rate: 25,00

            Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

            Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

            Total Duration: 00:12:35:16

            Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1,0;

            - I do not get any error messages, except for the "Sorry, a serious problem has occurred"-message after I have to force quit my Premiere because of the freeze;

            - The problem mostly occurs when cutting a clip with the razor tool, regardless of the kind of clip;

            - Yes this has worked before, the problems started either after creating a submix (which I've deleted, without result) and/or after updating to a newer version of Premiere CC;

            - The only software I run actively besides Premiere is Apple's Mail program, Safari and/or Chrome, sometimes Wire, sometimes Spotify;

            - I currently have no third-part effects or codecs installed in Premiere;

            - I installed the latest CUDA Mac Driver, version 6.5.37 (release date 01/14/2015);

            - The problem just happens while working in my sequence, not in any final output. I don't know what is meant by "previews", but I have the yellow bar indicator in my sequence, if that's info you need.

             

            Screenshots: Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 22.20.42.png

            Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 22.20.34.png

            ---

             

            Okay I went through that menu (which I'm not eager to do, I prefer direct contact) and came across the CUDA setting inside the project settings. I've now enabled the "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)", which might help.

             

            ---

             

            Testing with a brand new project is not an option. I have a deadline for my current project and it's impossible to start from scratch. What I did try is start a new project and importing the existing one, which didn't help so far.

             

            ---

             

            I hope I have provided you with enough information, if you need additional info let me know.

             

            Thanks,

            JJ

            • 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

              Hi JJ,

              JJ Millen wrote:

               

              It is not about the past times you may or may not have participated, but about the latest message from rob654 and my last messages in that thread (which are clearly not about Windows).

               

               

              One great reason to get a Mac only version of the post. It is never a good idea to post on a Windows post with Mac problems. And when threads get so long and unruly, the team can't focus on the actual issue so it doesn't get the attention it needs.

               

              Now that we have that sorted out...

               

              JJ Millen wrote:

               

               

              I checked that and it says 8.2.0. (65) build.

               

              Thanks for the verification. You are running Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2). It helps to have that absolutely clear.

               

              JJ Millen wrote:

               

              Here are all the checkpoints mentioned in that thread, applicable to my project:

              - Version 8.2.0;

              - My Creative Cloud says Premiere Pro is up-to-date;

              - Operating system is OS X Yosemite version 10.10.1 (14B25);

               

              Very well, did things operate any differently on Mac OS X 10.9.x? Or did you have the same problem?

               

              JJ Millen wrote:


              Type: MPEG Movie

              File Size: 4,0 GB

              Image Size: 1920 x 1080

              Frame Rate: 25,00

              Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

              Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

              Total Duration: 00:12:35:16

              Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1,0;

               

              So is this H.264? What is the camera that you are working with? DSLR?

               

              JJ Millen wrote:

               

              - I do not get any error messages, except for the "Sorry, a serious problem has occurred"-message after I have to force quit my Premiere because of the freeze;

               

              What kind of drives are the media files stored on?

              Are the permissions set correctly (as Read/Write) for the Mac HD and your media drives?

              Are the permissions set correctly for all the Adobe folders as I outlined in my blog?


              JJ Millen wrote:

               

              - The problem mostly occurs when cutting a clip with the razor tool, regardless of the kind of clip;

               

              When you import clips, are you using File > Import, or are you importing via the Media Browser?

               

              JJ Millen wrote:

               

              - Yes this has worked before, the problems started either after creating a submix (which I've deleted, without result) and/or after updating to a newer version of Premiere CC;

               

              Definitely do not update Premiere Pro or OS X when in the middle of a project. Wait until it's complete. If you did either or both of these things, you can cause your project to become corrupt. After your current project is wrapped, test with a brand new project.

               

              JJ Millen wrote:

               

              - The only software I run actively besides Premiere is Apple's Mail program, Safari and/or Chrome, sometimes Wire, sometimes Spotify;

              - I currently have no third-part effects or codecs installed in Premiere;

              - I installed the latest CUDA Mac Driver, version 6.5.37 (release date 01/14/2015);

              - The problem just happens while working in my sequence, not in any final output. I don't know what is meant by "previews", but I have the yellow bar indicator in my sequence, if that's info you need.

               

              I have heard of others having issues with OS X 10.10 and NVIDIA GPUs. My advice is to consider downgrading your OS if you continue to have issues. I believe I have avoided a lot of trouble by sticking to OS X 10.8.5.

               

              Previews AKA the Media Cache are your "render files." They can become corrupt, so it's a good idea to trash them when troubleshooting. You can locate them via your Preferences > Media. Click the Browse button.

               

              JJ Millen wrote:

               

              Okay I went through that menu (which I'm not eager to do, I prefer direct contact) and came across the CUDA setting inside the project settings. I've now enabled the "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)", which might help.

               

              So were you set to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" or "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL)" prior to changing it to "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)?

               

              JJ Millen wrote:

               

              Testing with a brand new project is not an option. I have a deadline for my current project and it's impossible to start from scratch. What I did try is start a new project and importing the existing one, which didn't help so far.

               

              I was just wondering if you experienced the same issues in a new project. Any project you update to a new version is suspect, in my opinion. In the future, try to avoid doing that. If your current project is corrupt, I could see why you are having certain issues.

               

              For what it's worth, we had another user that exhibited similar issues until they started with a brand new Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) file.

               

              Since importing your 8.1 file to a new 8.2 project isn't working, make sure to triple check permissions on all the Adobe folders I laid out in my blog post: Premiere Pro CC, CC 2014, or 2014.1 freezing on startup or crashing while working (Mac OS X 10.9, and later)


              It's the #1 reason Mac users experience freezing and crashing. The other one I'd look at is that NVIDIA drivers are not working well with Yosemite. Finally, if you update a project across versions, it can become corrupt. Not much you can do about that except start a new project ASAP.


              Thanks,

              Kevin


              • 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC freezes up constantly
                JJ Millen Level 1

                Things did operate differently yes, I had no problems whatsoever.

                 

                ---

                 

                I'm purely editor on this project so I didn't shoot the footage myself but indeed, 1920x1080 H264 shot with DSLR.

                 

                ---

                 

                I checked my Mac HD and found a folder called "SameAsProject", containing Preview File folders of my project. That was kinds strange. I deleted the folder to see if that will help.

                Also, I've checked all there is to check regarding permissions (my Mac HD, external hard drive and all the folders mentioned in your blog) and everything is (and was already) set to read & write.

                 

                ---

                 

                I almost always import via drag & drop in the media browser, I rarely use cmd+I for that.

                 

                ---

                 

                Yes I learned that the hard way. Found several people saying it's unwise to update mid-project.

                 

                ---

                 

                Downgrading might be an option, but I think these problems are mainly stuck to this particular project. I'm gonna have to try that out, see if problems will persist in other project too. Although, I am having some artefacts lately, which also might be caused by the NVIDIA GPUs.

                 

                Ah yes, render files, thought so. Well I've trashed them continuously while trying different fixes by deleting the preview files-folder, not via the Preferences > Media yet. Done that now.

                 

                ---

                 

                I believe I was set on the OpenCL. What do you think is the best option in this case?

                 

                ---

                 

                Yes I agree, I think it's because of the update mid-way. I will try making a new project and importing the previous one again if the problem reoccurs.

                 

                if it really is caused by the NVIDIA drivers, would downgrading to 20.8.5. be the only good solution?

                 

                Greets,

                JJ

                • 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

                  Hi JJ,

                  JJ Millen wrote:

                   

                  Things did operate differently yes, I had no problems whatsoever.

                   

                   

                  Thanks for your info. You might consider downgrading to OS X 10.9.5 then. Typically, I don't update OS X until at least a couple of dot updates occur.

                   

                  JJ Millen wrote:

                   

                  I'm purely editor on this project so I didn't shoot the footage myself but indeed, 1920x1080 H264 shot with DSLR.

                   

                  OK, great. Thanks.

                   

                  JJ Millen wrote:

                   

                  I checked my Mac HD and found a folder called "SameAsProject", containing Preview File folders of my project. That was kinds strange. I deleted the folder to see if that will help.

                   

                  OK, for future reference you can usually locate the folder pretty easily via Media Preferences.

                   

                  JJ Millen wrote:

                   

                  Also, I've checked all there is to check regarding permissions (my Mac HD, external hard drive and all the folders mentioned in your blog) and everything is (and was already) set to read & write.

                   

                  Thanks for checking on that.

                   

                  JJ Millen wrote:

                   

                  I almost always import via drag & drop in the media browser, I rarely use cmd+I for that.

                   

                   

                  Thanks for doing that properly.

                   

                  JJ Millen wrote:

                   

                  Yes I learned that the hard way. Found several people saying it's unwise to update mid-project.

                   

                  It's one of those universal "rule of thumb" kind of things. I learned it back in trade school in the 90s when they hammered it into my head. Now, I'm very conscience of project versioning and religiously back up my files daily.

                   

                  JJ Millen wrote:

                   

                  Downgrading might be an option, but I think these problems are mainly stuck to this particular project. I'm gonna have to try that out, see if problems will persist in other project too.

                   

                  I think you're probably right in that it's project specific problems that you're having, likely caused from simply updating the project file.

                   

                  JJ Millen wrote:

                   

                  Ah yes, render files, thought so. Well I've trashed them continuously while trying different fixes by deleting the preview files-folder, not via the Preferences > Media yet. Done that now.

                   

                  You are correct about trashing the preview files. However, there are Media Cache files you should delete too when troubleshooting. They are the ones I was talking about in Preferences.

                   

                  JJ Millen wrote:

                   

                  I believe I was set on the OpenCL. What do you think is the best option in this case?

                   

                  CUDA is the best choice and I have heard of people having issues when the card is switched to OpenCL. See if you have better performance and stability. I sure hope so!

                   

                  JJ Millen wrote:

                   

                  if it really is caused by the NVIDIA drivers, would downgrading to 20.8.5. be the only good solution?

                   

                  From what I've read lately, none of the NVIDIA drivers are working very well with OS X 10.10. I hope they have a new set of drivers soon.

                   

                  Thanks,

                  Kevin

                  • 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                    JJ Millen Level 1

                    I think I might just downgrade, feel like I'm running out of other options. Just tried creating a new project again. Imported the previous version, started editing and right after the first cut it freezes. Very frustrating.

                     

                    I also checked the scratch disks, which are now all on "same as project". Might that be the cause? Really starting to grab straws now.

                     

                    Don't know if I want to downgrade while still working on this project though. Wouldn't it be more of a hassle than a fix?

                     

                    Greets,

                    JJ

                    • 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                      Nuggs

                      Has anyone solved this issue, as i just downloaded cs8.2 and i'm having the same issues.

                      yosemite upgrade

                      • 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                        JJ Millen Level 1

                        I've now switched back from Mercury Playback GPU Acceleration (CUDA) to Mercury Playback GPU Acceleration (OpenCL) and I've deleted my CUDA driver (in my Mac's system preferences panel).

                         

                        As good as clear from any problems now. Let's hope it stays this way.

                        • 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                          jonny9091 Level 1

                          What difference does it make how you import the footage?

                          • 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                            JJ Millen Level 1

                            No clue. It shouldn't even matter. We shouldn't have to change the way we handle a project just to make the software run properly.


                            Still experiencing several freezes (+ forced quits) a day, even with a new project in which I imported my previous version. So versioning is something we can rule out as well.

                            Also, switching back from CUDA to OpenCL doesn't seem to have done the job. Beginning to get very curious to see what Premiere will do to a brand new project.

                             

                            Basically, when you have a project that started during an older version of Premiere cc and has to last for several months (which I also have), you're pretty much screwed.

                            Ain't that great.

                            • 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                              JJ Millen Level 1

                              Still experiencing frequent freezes + forced quits.

                               

                              And what bothers me is that there's still NO reassurance about this whatsoever on Adobe's part.

                              I know these forums aren't here to vent, but to be honest it's getting harder to avoid that.

                               

                              Maybe it's time to make the switch back to Final Cut Pro 7.

                              • 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                                sixsixty

                                I would just like to add my +1 vote that multicam is still a huge issue with Premiere Pro CC 8.2.0 (35). I have no issues or crashes when editing single cam (or multicam in singlecam view). However once I start editing multicam in multi-camera view, I get crashes and forced quits constantly. I have worked on at least 5 different movies (either started a fresh project, or updated a project) and I get consistent crashes. I have already tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling again. I had none of these issues prior to Premiere switching over to the blue border look.

                                 

                                I however am not on Yosemite. OSX 10.9.5 here.

                                • 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                                  JJ Millen Level 1

                                  Yep, real pain in the ***. It's really starting to piss me off now. I'm actually glad my current project (in which I use multicam clips and I am actually forced to flatten them) is almost over. Even flattening your video and still using multicam audio still messes it up. But I refuse to flatten my multicam audio, that will give me even more work than it takes away.

                                   

                                  Thank you for confirming that the OSX version has no particular influence.

                                  • 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

                                    Hi JJ,

                                     

                                    JJ Millen wrote:

                                     

                                    Still experiencing frequent freezes + forced quits.

                                     

                                    Have you checked the NVIDIA site lately? They have recently released new drivers for OS X 10.10. You may want to update those drivers and see if your situation improves. There have been a lot of cases lately with NVIDA and Macs running Yosemite.

                                     

                                    JJ Millen wrote:

                                     

                                    And what bothers me is that there's still NO reassurance about this whatsoever on Adobe's part.

                                     

                                    Sorry, I'm trying my best. Just know that it is difficult to make any assurances when a customer is having issues like these, especially those that I can't replicate on my own system.

                                     

                                    I hope the new drivers help, though.

                                     

                                    Thanks,
                                    Kevin

                                    • 15. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                                      Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

                                      Hi Sixsixty,

                                      sixsixty wrote:

                                       

                                      I would just like to add my +1 vote that multicam is still a huge issue with Premiere Pro CC 8.2.0 (35). I have no issues or crashes when editing single cam (or multicam in singlecam view). However once I start editing multicam in multi-camera view, I get crashes and forced quits constantly. I have worked on at least 5 different movies (either started a fresh project, or updated a project) and I get consistent crashes. I have already tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling again. I had none of these issues prior to Premiere switching over to the blue border look.

                                       

                                      I however am not on Yosemite. OSX 10.9.5 here.

                                       

                                      Sorry you're having issues. Feel free to create your own post or contact support here: Contact Customer Care

                                       

                                      Thanks,

                                      Kevin

                                      • 16. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                                        JJ Millen Level 1

                                        Hi,

                                         

                                        I believe so, yes. I deleted my CUDA Drivers again, then installed them again, which was about two days ago. Today I deleted them again, 'cause I was beginning to experience graphical glitches. Last time that happened Premiere messed up  my whole system and I had to restore a Time Machine backup. Deleting it temporarily helped, but of course the freezes came back again. I'll try updating my drivers again tomorrow.

                                         

                                        Haven't experienced any problems in a different project I recently started though, Hope the disease doesn't spread to that one as well.

                                         

                                        Thanks for letting me know you're doing your best. It was quiet for a while, which I think is strange for a problem of this magnitude.

                                         

                                        Thanks,

                                        II'll let you know how it goes.

                                        • 17. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                                          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

                                          Hi JJ,

                                          Sorry you're still having so many problems. It's great that the new project is not exhibiting any issues yet, though.

                                           

                                          If you have time, you may want to troubleshoot with agents in our video queue: Contact Customer Care. Once you get on the phone, ask for the "video queue." They will help go through your system and try to diagnose the issue. They are available M-F 7AM-7PM PST.

                                           

                                          PM me if they can't assist you.

                                           

                                          Thanks,

                                          Kevin

                                          • 18. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) freezes up constantly on Mac OS X Yosemite
                                            creative edge Level 1

                                            A solution that seems to have worked for me - I decided to render audio on a sequence (something I don't normally do) and - voila - haven't had freezes since. A fluke? I don't know.

                                             

                                            Mark