6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 5:51 PM by Crellin Sound

Confusing Specs for Master Collection

Crellin Sound Level 1

Hi Folks,

I have CS6 Master Collection from a download.  Now I need to buy a computer.  I'd prefer to get a laptop that's running Windows.  I know.  That's not the thing these days.  But the only support I can get where I live is for Windows and I need a smaller computer.  It's hard to run for the border with a desktop under your arm.  And I travel a lot, too.  The areas where I work don't have cloud access, generally.

I'm at the beginning of this process and I'm learning.  Forgive me ahead of time if I make blunders.  It's OK to send me in the right direction.

The minimum specs for CS6 are a bit confusing.  I'll get more than the minimums, once I figure out the direction.  Here's what I see as the big points.  They're straight from Adobe's system requirements for CS6.

• Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor with 64-bit support; Intel Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor required for Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Encore; Intel Core i7 processor required for SpeedGrade
      • Optional (I'll get this if I can): 7200 RPM or faster hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended) for v
      • RAM (I'll get more than this) 2GB of RAM (4GB recommended) for 32 bit; 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended) for 64 bit

I definitely want to use Premier and After Effects.  SpeedGrade would be great to use, too.  But, are the specs on the first bullet point saying that SpeedGrade won't work or won't work well with the processor that will run Premier?  I'm confounded, if that's the case.

Any ideas you can send my way would be much appreciated.

Thanks

CS

• 1. Re: Confusing Specs for Master Collection
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't go by Adobe's minimum requirements -- you will be unhappy with the performance.  See here:

Tweakers Page

• 2. Re: Confusing Specs for Master Collection
            Crellin Sound Level 1

Very good!  This will put me on the right road.

I'll get back to you when I run across hiccups.  I'm sure there will be some.

Thanks,

CS

• 3. Re: Confusing Specs for Master Collection
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am editing Premiere very nicely on a laptop.  I really do not know After Effects.  But what you need is the gaming variety of laptop with something like an i7-4700HQ quad core CPU (or better) with hyperthreading and lots of RAM, 24-32 GB, an nVidia GPU and potentially two SSD drives.  This generally means a custom built PC unless you can do-it-yourself like I did.

• 4. Re: Confusing Specs for Master Collection
                Crellin Sound Level 1

Now we're talking.  We're heading in the right direction.

What laptop did you start with?  I'm up for any and all information.  If you can send me specs, that would be great.  You can always do it via PM.  I've never done that before, but I bet even I can figure it out.

Thanks,

CS

• 5. Re: Confusing Specs for Master Collection
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What I bought around January 2014 was a factory refurbished ASUS G750JW that was originally at BestBuy for about $1250 I found for $900.  I got the 8GB unit and immediately upgraded it to 24 GB of RAM and then cloned the OS on the lousy 1 TB 5400 rpm drive to a 128 GB Samsung 840.  And then installed a 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro in the second drive bay.  This then made it a wonderful editing machine.  In the process of many edits on this machine I found the some USB3 Flash memory drives worked absolutely great as read-only devices for holding the Project Files and the media.  Unfortunately the PNY USB3 Flash Drives that I originally used which had great read speeds which originally had 180 MB/second read speeds were changed and now are lousy   I am still looking for a replacement that will test as well or better than my original three PNY turbo, later versions were lousy

Both Asus with their newer G751, MSI with their GT 70 and 80 series and Lenovo  with the Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop - 59421859  offer great possibilities.

• 6. Re: Confusing Specs for Master Collection
                    Crellin Sound Level 1

Hi There,

Sorry for not answering quickly.  I'm often away for periods of time.

The Asus units look good.  MSI looks good, but very expensive.  Lenovo looks OK, too, but looks like the Y70 has only one drive and no i7.  But I'll chat with them and see what's up.

Good going on beefing up your computer.  It's been a long time since I bought a new one.  I had no idea an HD could be replaced with an SSD.

I think I'll start making myself a chart so I can do good comparisons.  Keep the ideas coming, if you have any more.

Thanks,

CS