6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 2:59 PM by dedwardc

Part of Image Disappears

dedwardc Level 1

I have an Illustrator CS6 (version 16.0.3 64-bit) file that I have placed in InDesign CS6 (version 8.0.2) and exported to PDF. The PDF file appears fine in Acrobat X Pro (version 10.1.13). It prints fine from Reader XI (version 11.0.10). But when viewing it on screen through Reader, an element of one of the two images (not the entire image) on the page is always missing. The part that doesn't show up is a rectangle filled with 1% Cyan and 24% yellow. The red stroke around it does appear, but the fill appears white (not transparent). Other items in the image do appear. I have also converted the file from InDesign to PDF through the print dialog and the fill doesn't appear. I have also exported to PDF (both ways) directly from Illustrator and it does the same thing. I have tried CMYK and RGB. It still did the same thing. I tried creating a new separate Illustrator file of only a rectangle filled with that color and exporting to PDF. It still did the same thing with other colors. I tried doing it with a black fill. Sometimes black doesn't show up. Sometimes it does. I tried red. Sometimes red doesn't show up. Sometimes it does. That proves that it is not the settings, as it was all done in the same file without changing any settings. I have attempted to update Reader. No updates were available. I repaired the original Reader installation and restarted my computer. That part of the image is still not showing in Reader. Please help.

• 1. Re: Part of Image Disappears
          Migintosh Level 4

With 24% Yellow, you should be able to see it in Reader. Are you sure it's the same file you are viewing in Reader and Acrobat Pro? If you go to Advanced>Print Production>Output Preview in Acrobat Pro and if you mouse over the area, does it show the correct values? Is it on the same layer as other visible objects? What happens when you zoom in?

• 2. Re: Part of Image Disappears
            dedwardc Level 1

Absolutely, positively sure. It does show the correct values in Output Preview. It is on the same layer as other visible objects. Still doesn't show when zoom in.

• 3. Re: Part of Image Disappears
              Migintosh Level 4

There are some people on the forum who know way more than I do on issues of color, so maybe what would help is if you could save 3 files (an Illustrator file, an InDesign file that you have placed the Illustrator file into and a PDF exported from that InDesign file), send it to a file-sharing site and place a link on the forum so that some of the experts can give their opinions.

• 4. Re: Part of Image Disappears
                dedwardc Level 1

I think I figured it out. It was my Reader settings. Preferences > Accessibility Settings > Document Colors Options > Replace Document Colors was checked. I had the background color set to white and that would change the fill color of the shape. I would think it is not supposed to change the fill color of enclosed shapes, as they are not the actual page background. Plus, it randomly showed other color fills that I created for testing purposes. And, strokes and outlined text that was converted to shapes weren't affected at all.

• 5. Re: Part of Image Disappears
                  dedwardc Level 1

I should note that at it didn't do it when I tried to re-create the issue by exporting from Photoshop. Everything looked fine.

• 6. Re: Part of Image Disappears
                    dedwardc Level 1

Scratch that last post. It started doing it in some Photoshop files.