9 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2006 10:37 AM by Newsgroup_User

    Web advertising pros...

    BullocksTroy Level 1
      I am just starting to research online advertising rates, and I am confused about the meaning of an "impression" and "CPM"/cost per thousand.
      It is my understanding that an impression is each time an ad is viewed. What is the difference between this and a page hit?
      and is the cost affected if there are other ads on the same page?

      say the site charges $10/cpm, the page my ad appears on is viewed 10,000 times in a month. how much will i pay?
      what if there are 2 other ads on that page?
        • 1. Re: Web advertising pros...
          Level 7
          >I am just starting to research online advertising rates, and I am confused
          > about the meaning of an "impression" and "CPM"/cost per thousand.
          > It is my understanding that an impression is each time an ad is viewed.
          > What
          > is the difference between this and a page hit?
          > and is the cost affected if there are other ads on the same page?

          Impression = each time an add shows up on a web page that a person loads
          Clicks = each time a person actuall clicks the link in the ad.

          Some sites charge per impression. Some per click.

          -Darrel


          • 2. Re: Web advertising pros...
            Level 7
            And CPM is exactly what it sounds like: How does it COST PER THOUSAND
            impressions. Or in the old days, per thousand copies of the newspaper or
            magazine printed.

            MD


            BullocksTroy wrote:
            > I am just starting to research online advertising rates, and I am
            > confused about the meaning of an "impression" and "CPM"/cost per
            > thousand.
            > It is my understanding that an impression is each time an ad is
            > viewed. What is the difference between this and a page hit?
            > and is the cost affected if there are other ads on the same page?
            >
            > say the site charges $10/cpm, the page my ad appears on is viewed
            > 10,000 times in a month. how much will i pay?
            > what if there are 2 other ads on that page?


            • 3. Re: Web advertising pros...
              BullocksTroy Level 1
              quote:

              Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
              >I am just starting to research online advertising rates, and I am confused
              > about the meaning of an "impression" and "CPM"/cost per thousand.
              > It is my understanding that an impression is each time an ad is viewed.
              > What
              > is the difference between this and a page hit?
              > and is the cost affected if there are other ads on the same page?

              Impression = each time an add shows up on a web page that a person loads
              Clicks = each time a person actuall clicks the link in the ad.

              Some sites charge per impression. Some per click.

              -Darrel




              So is an impression the same thing as a page hit then? It sounds like it, but I read a definition that said they are different and that the number of impressions may vary depending if there are other ads on the same page. so that's what's confusing me. any help?

              • 4. Re: Web advertising pros...
                Level 7
                > So is an impression the same thing as a page hit then?

                A 'page hit' is a rather vague term.

                Impression simple means that the ad was loaded on a page that someone loaded
                in a browser. As Mad Dog said, it's akin to the number of issues of a
                magazine the ad appears in.

                > I read a definition that said they are different and that the number of
                > impressions may vary depending if there are other ads on the same page. so
                > that's what's confusing me.

                That'd confuse me, too, as that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You only
                pay for the impressions of your own ad. How many other ads are on the page,
                while maybe a concern to you, shouldn't change the fact that one impression
                of yoru ad is still one impression of your ad.

                -Darrel


                • 5. Re: Web advertising pros...
                  Level 7
                  BullocksTroy wrote:
                  > So is an impression the same thing as a page hit then? It sounds like
                  > it, but I read a definition that said they are different and that the
                  > number of impressions may vary depending if there are other ads on
                  > the same page. so that's what's confusing me. any help?

                  An impression is if your ad LOADS on the page. If a page starts to load,
                  it's considered a page hit. If the whole page loads and your ad is on it,
                  it's an impression. If someone bails out before the whole page loads and
                  your ad didn't load yet, that's not an impression....but it was a page hit.

                  MD


                  • 6. Re: Web advertising pros...
                    BullocksTroy Level 1
                    quote:

                    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                    BullocksTroy wrote:
                    > So is an impression the same thing as a page hit then? It sounds like
                    > it, but I read a definition that said they are different and that the
                    > number of impressions may vary depending if there are other ads on
                    > the same page. so that's what's confusing me. any help?

                    An impression is if your ad LOADS on the page. If a page starts to load,
                    it's considered a page hit. If the whole page loads and your ad is on it,
                    it's an impression. If someone bails out before the whole page loads and
                    your ad didn't load yet, that's not an impression....but it was a page hit.

                    MD




                    I see, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
                    • 7. Re: Web advertising pros...
                      Level 7
                      BullocksTroy wrote:
                      > Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                      > BullocksTroy wrote:
                      >> So is an impression the same thing as a page hit then? It sounds like
                      >> it, but I read a definition that said they are different and that the
                      >> number of impressions may vary depending if there are other ads on
                      >> the same page. so that's what's confusing me. any help?
                      >
                      > An impression is if your ad LOADS on the page. If a page starts to
                      > load, it's considered a page hit. If the whole page loads and your ad
                      > is on it, it's an impression. If someone bails out before the whole
                      > page loads and your ad didn't load yet, that's not an
                      > impression....but it was a page hit.
                      >
                      > MD
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > I see, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

                      You're welcome.


                      • 8. Re: Web advertising pros...
                        BullocksTroy Level 1
                        Another question - it would make sense to have the larger ads cost more. but I was looking on readersdigest.com, for instance, and they charge a higher CPM rate for smaller ads:

                        Horizontal banner (top) - $10/CPM
                        Vertical 120 or 160 x 600 px - $12/CPM
                        Horizontal box 300 x 250 px - $15/CPM

                        am i missing something? i'm confused...
                        • 9. Re: Web advertising pros...
                          Level 7
                          Let's see....the vertical goes down the side and it's long, so many people
                          won't see the whole ad at once. And people are used to ignoring top banners
                          (it doesn't say what the size is). A horizontal box may just have better
                          page placement and be seen better.

                          MD


                          BullocksTroy wrote:
                          > Another question - it would make sense to have the larger ads cost
                          > more. but I was looking on readersdigest.com, for instance, and they
                          > charge a higher CPM rate for smaller ads:
                          >
                          > Horizontal banner (top) - $10/CPM
                          > Vertical 120 or 160 x 600 px - $12/CPM
                          > Horizontal box 300 x 250 px - $15/CPM
                          >
                          > am i missing something? i'm confused...