18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2015 10:55 AM by r8r

Photoshop wont "Save for Web"

r8r

Ever since I installed CC on my vanilla MacMini (Late 2014) running OS X 10.10.1, I haven't been able to use the "Save for Web" feature in Photoshop (2014.2.2 Release, 20141204.r.310 x64) anymore. I keep getting an error message saying "The operation could not be completed. The file or directory could not be found."

Google and the forums have unfortunately only come up with people having similar problems, but not with any solutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"
          gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like some sort of permissions problem. Did you use an Administrator account or install as a user?

Let's try something easy:

Open Disk Utility, Verify your Disk and Repair Permissions and please do this under an Administrator Account.

If that didn't solve the problem, Hold down cmd-opt-shift, and start Photoshop. When the Delete Settings dialog comes up, click "Yes" and let Photoshop continue to load.

Hopefully this will solve the SFW problem

Gene

• 2. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"
            r8r Level 1

Gene,

thanks for the quick response. The Disk Permission checks are running as I am typing.

And yep, it's all been installed as admin.

Deleting the preference files I've already tried, but I'll report back, if repairing file permissions made any difference!

• 3. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"
              r8r Level 1

Still the same problem … unfortunately.

Support is watching my machine right now … let's see what that results in.

• 4. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"

Ok, if they find out, please post the answer here and mark it as "correct".

Gene

• 5. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"
                  r8r Level 1

Nope, nothing. They have poked around my machine, giving full permissions to all groups on quite a few system folders (which I am not all that happy about), at no avail. I suggested re-installing Photoshop, which I will do now.

• 6. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"

Ok, l'll wait. Use the CS Cleaner to be sure: Use the CC Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems | CC, CS3-CS6

That's before you reinstall.

• 7. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"
                      r8r Level 1

Thanks gener7!

So, I uninstalled all of CC, ran CS Cleaner and reinstalled just Photoshop. No luck. Still the same error. This is starting to get annoying.

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 10.29.59.png

See for yourself in this screencast: Photoshop CC issue | Won't "Save for Web" - YouTube

• 8. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"
                        r8r Level 1

… and the Mac-specs are:

• Mac Mini late 2014
                        • OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
                        • 3 GHz Intel Core i7
                        • 16 GB RAM
                        • Intel Iris 1536 MB
                        • 9. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"

Thanks for bearing with me. I've been busy looking for the Save for Web prefs file that would be the one holding the SFW configuration.

So here are some more ideas:

One thing I could ask is that you open SFW with a file loaded. Hold down your Option key and the Cancel button should change to "Reset". Click on Reset  That may fix it, but if not

One troubleshooting idea is to try SFW from another account and see if it acts normally, that way we can narrow the problem down.

Another idea for the sake of getting your work finished is to install Photoshop CC, the predecessor to CC 2014 and also see if the problem still exists.

So this is the SFW directory:  ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Plugins/    Each contains the version specific SFW prefs files.

Since these directories are hidden, use Go > Go to Folder and copy paste the above path. It should open a Finder window.

The "tilde" represents your home directory. So these SFW settings are account specific.

CC is the latest SFW plugin I could find. The idea is to move the corrupt SFW prefs out of that folder and let a fresh one be rebuilt.

So have a look at the above options.

Gene

• 10. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"

I'm going for a second opinion before I make anymore suggestions. There are two posts on this subject and if folder permissions have to be set, I definitely need to know exactly which ones.

Gene

• 11. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"
                              r8r Level 1

Hey Gene,

thanks again for all the suggestions … My responses are below:

gener7 wrote:

One troubleshooting idea is to try SFW from another account and see if it acts normally, that way we can narrow the problem down.

I tried it from the Guest account – SFW worked there as expected. Although this account has undoubdetly much fewer permissions than my admin-level account.

gener7 wrote:

One thing I could ask is that you open SFW with a file loaded. Hold down your Option key and the Cancel button should change to "Reset". Click on Reset

This I could only perform in the Guest account, as I don't even get to the SFW-dialog in my other account. Did that, but since the Prefs are stored at the user-level (or so it seems, according to all I've seen so far), I doubt that this has much effect on the issue with the problematic account.

gener7 wrote:

Another idea for the sake of getting your work finished is to install Photoshop CC, the predecessor to CC 2014 and also see if the problem still exists.

Photoshop CC shows the same problem.

gener7 wrote:

So this is the SFW directory:  ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Plugins/    Each contains the version specific SFW prefs files.

Since these directories are hidden, use Go > Go to Folder and copy paste the above path. It should open a Finder window.

The "tilde" represents your home directory. So these SFW settings are account specific.

CC is the latest SFW plugin I could find. The idea is to move the corrupt SFW prefs out of that folder and let a fresh one be rebuilt.

Are you sure that "~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Plugins/" is the correct directory? I don't have that on my system. Here are the full contents of my ~/Library/Preferences Folder: http://smdm.at/5v

Here the same for /Library/Preferences: http://smdm.at/5w

I hope this helps! Thank you!

• 12. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"

Thanks, it does and I found the directory for the CC 2014 SFW prefs, not where I expected them.

First you might want to know OSX 10.10.2 has been released and I upgraded without any problems. Upgrade that first.

From the Finder menu: Go > Go to Folder:

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings  

This folder contains Save for Web Prefs.psp    You can drag that file out of the folder on to the desktop, and a new one will be made when you launch CC 2014  (Cmd i (Get Info) on the SFW prefs file. Permissions should be read and write for you)

Let's try that and see if the rebuilt prefs fixes it.

Gene

• 13. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"

Yes, ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Plugins/ is the correct folder, but it is invisible. Paste the path in the Finder menu Go > Go to Folder box.

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 5.24.27 AM.png

CC 2014 directory

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 5.28.04 AM.png

Preferences Directory

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 5.30.04 AM.png

• 14. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"
                                    r8r Level 1

gener7 i can positively confirm, that there is no ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Plugins/ directory on my system.

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 13.51.10.png

• 15. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"
                                      r8r Level 1

I also created a brand new admin user and confirmed that SFW works there as desired – which it did. However – also in this User's Library-directory, there is no Plugins-folder to be found. (I figured I would just grab it from there and transfer it to the other account.)

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 14.02.47.png

• 16. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"
                                        r8r Level 1

I seem to have skipped your earlier response.

I've been on OS X 10.10.2 for a couple of days now. Pretty much since it was released.

Here's the contents of my ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings directory:

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 14.09.51.png

Seems like the file is missing and PS can't write in there for one reason or another. These are the permission settings on the folder:

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 14.12.33.png

Turns out, my initial idea wasn't the worst: I now transferred the entire ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings directory from my tmp-admin user to my actual user. Lo and behold – tataaa – sure enough, there was a Save For Web Prefs.psp file in there. And after starting PS, I can now SFW again.

This issue is worked around, but I am still puzzled and a bit annoyed by the fact, that there doesn't seem to be any real explanation, why on earth that problem happened in the first place and what might still be running differently than it should.

For reference …

The contents of the imported settings-directory (permissions: drwxr-xr-x   20 r8r  staff) look as follows:

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 14.17.54.png

The contents of the original directory (permissions: drwxrwxr-x  17 r8r  staff) like this:

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 14.17.30.png

Beats me.

Anyways – thanks a lot for the assistance, and if you have any further ideas on how to get to the root of the problem, I'd be happy to hear about it!

• 17. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"

Thanks for the great news, r8r. Namely that you managed to get it working by transferring the missing directories. Why those were not written in by the installer sure does confuse me. This is the first time I have ever heard of this.

I remember one time a CC Desktop app update somehow damaged my App Support folder permissions. That meant I got an "error 16" and Photoshop CC would not launch except in the root account. Support tried a  screen takeover, but no luck. Someone in the forums figured it out with this Terminal fix:  sudo chmod -R 777 /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe

I'm not much up on OSX internals, so at this point I can't safely say anything. If you have the time, maybe the Apple support forums or

macrumors.com can say something. I'm thinking you should create a new user account, fresh install CC and slowly move your other software over there when you have time. That way you won't keep having to deal with this every Adobe CC update.

It's enough work creating content for paying clients without having to chase these things down. Glad I could contribute somewhat.

Anyway, again thanks for the great news.

Gene

• 18. Re: Photoshop wont "Save for Web"
                                            r8r Level 1

True words, Gene.

Time being the tightest of all resources is what makes issues like this as annoying as they are. I'll take that advice, checking with some in-depth Apple folks, whether they can come up with a reasonable explanation.

You sure helped a lot getting me on the right track; sadly, I have to say, much more than Adobe support ever helped.
                                            We'll see, if I can find the motivation, to move a brand new fully configured system over to another account now.

Mario