11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2015 4:24 AM by Sebastian Hellborne

PC or MAC?

Sebastian Hellborne

Okay, I need some opinions to settle this dispute. We have a small graphics design team here at our company and they insist they want MACs for their work. They work with Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator, all CS6. The head of IT won't approve that because we run a Windows domain here (that's not important right now).

What I'm asking is, if you take 2 computers of identical spec, one a Mac one a PC, is the Mac better for the above mentioned applications? I've never worked with one before.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: PC or MAC?
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's no discernible difference. It boils down to personal preference.

Historically, designers and creatives have preferred Macs.

System techs and network administrators have preferred Windows.

I'll be very surprised if you manage to settle this decades old argument in these forums.

• 2. Re: PC or MAC?
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

The programs are the same, but the handling is different. For InDesign I would strongly recommend to use a Mac, as when typing correct glyphs it is easier to use the alt key. A mac keyboard has 4 layouts contrary to windows, where you get these extended glyphs only via holding down the alt key by typing 4 numbers in the numeric part of the keyboard.

With PS and IL I see equality, with Acrobat I prefer to work on windows.

• 3. Re: PC or MAC?
              Sebastian Hellborne Level 1

Thank you. I just wanted to hear some opinions from people who had used both. I'm a system admin and I keep being pestered by requests from our graphics design team to get them Macs.

• 4. Re: PC or MAC?
                PeterK.. Level 3

In general, with the PC being more open than the Mac, you may get more benefit from things like cheaper expandable memory and graphics cards updates. With Macs you're stuck with the graphics card and drivers Apple gives you. Hence, why PC users are able to take advantage of new improvements like GPU accelerated drawing in Illustrator (a new experimental feature in CC that is not yet available on Mac).

How NVIDIA GPUs Accelerate Adobe Illustrator CC - YouTube

• 5. Re: PC or MAC?

The variety to more different hardware leads often to more incompatibility as more different items have to be tested. So it is not an advantage.

When you claim that GPU acceleration did not come yet, on the other hand high resolution display support was first on the Mac. So it is only true that improvements are not rolled out simultaneously. It happens that Win is first, but also in other cases the Mac is first. I think here is equality.

• 6. Re: PC or MAC?
                    jdanek Level 4

I have worked with both PC and Mac computers.  I found that the Mac is far faster and has less cumbersome instructions as the PC.  That said, here's the most important reason the Mac is a better choice.  PC's can't read Mac files, but Macs can read PC files.  This is important when working with native Illustrator files and / or Word documents.  The Mac had no problems working within a PC network.  The Mac was a issue for the IT department only because it wasn't a PC.

• 7. Re: PC or MAC?

That said, here's the most important reason the Mac is a better choice.  PC's can't read Mac files, but Macs can read PC files.  This is important when working with native Illustrator files and / or Word documents.

Files are cross-platform.

There should be no issue opening AI files in Windows which were created on a Mac. There may be issues with fonts between the platforms but these can be overcome.

• 8. Re: PC or MAC?
                        jdanek Level 4

That may be the case for Photoshop files and Word docs, but it depends on the workflow and type of files.  For instance, the workspace I was referring to was where I had to work with EPS files.  Unless they were saved with a .tiff preview, they were unreadable using a PC.  Probably doesn't apply to Photoshop work environments.  PC's had no problems opening Mac .tiff files and vice versa.

• 9. Re: PC or MAC?

jdanek schrieb:

That may be the case for Photoshop files and Word docs, but it depends on the workflow and type of files.  For instance, the workspace I was referring to was where I had to work with EPS files.  Unless they were saved with a .tiff preview, they were unreadable using a PC.  Probably doesn't apply to Photoshop work environments.  PC's had no problems opening Mac .tiff files and vice versa.

You should not work with EPS anyway anymore as it is an old and outdated file type.

And if you use Bridge this is not a problem neither.

• 10. Re: PC or MAC?

Fair points. You've obviously had issues with specific scenarios in the past.

However, I would not extrapolate that to a general statement of PCs can't read Mac files. They can and do.

Many studios and individuals successfully run mixed Mac/PC workflow environments. Me included.

In my view, the choice of Mac or PC still boils down to personal preference. There are rarely any technical issues affecting that decision.

• 11. Re: PC or MAC?
                              Sebastian Hellborne Level 1

Okay, okay, I didn't mean to spark debate. Just wanted your personal experiences. The only reason I've encountered for PCs not to read Mac files is the difference in file system, which can be solved by using exFAT. For adobe files, the formats it uses should be compatible no matter what machine you try to open them on.

Thank you for your answers.