2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 7:49 AM by cc_merchant

premiere only uses a part of the hardwear

lionns

I have an issue with premiere, when it renders or exports in only uses 30/40% of the cpu power, and 20/30% of the available memory , I have set everything like I found on this forum regarding the premiere settings itself, but it still has the same issue , photoshop and lightroom run great, but premiere just does not.

I have a AMD FX 8350 (4.2GHz) , 24Gb of RAM and MSI R9 280x graphics card (3Gb DDR5) so it should not lack anything

Here is a picture from task manager, any ideas how to make it use everything it has to run faster would really help

premiere.jpg

• 1. Re: premiere only uses a part of the hardwear
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maybe the process is more cpu then gpu intensive, all depends what is done on the timeline.

On a side note you should turn off Frame Blending that is only usefull when changing framerate.

If you have MPE hardware on no need to check Render at Max.

Your export is also going from progressive to upper, is that correct?

• 2. Re: premiere only uses a part of the hardwear
            cc_merchant Level 4

As a general rule of thumb, AMD CPU's are not worth considering at all, since they suffer severely from the very limited and badly implemented support of SSE 4.x instructions, which are widely used in PR. That makes these processors very slow, even in the 8-core versions. You get what you pay for, and with AMD that holds very much. Even though Adobe claims AMD processors can be used, that is intended more to make PR look attractive, but it really means you can install the program on an AMD machine, however you can't edit effectively with such a CPU. Even the latest octo-core AMD's are significantly slower than middle-of-the-road Intel quad cores. If you have an AMD processor, do not expect to edit comfortably any codec more demanding than DV. All phone or action camera formats are way beyond what an AMD can handle.

from Tweakers Page - What kind of PC to use?

Add to that the R9 280 video card, which is about 2 times slower than an equally priced nVidia card, and it does not come as a surprise.

How many processes do you have running?