10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2015 11:32 AM by RjL190365

GTX 980 upgrade - followup on CPU etc.required. How far is CPU speed relevant to CUDA speed?

M_Schloegl

Hey there! Thanks for reading.

I got a GTX 980 now for my birthday and need to upgrade some other parts to make it work properly.
      i7 etc is out of the question, I have to keep rolling with AMD for now.

Upgrading to an SSE 4.2. capable CPU: The watercooled FX models - FX 9590 - can make up to 5Ghz @8 cores. Does it pay off to get one of those or will a an FX 9370 @8x 4,4GHz or even an FX 8370 @ 8x4 GHz do the job, so the card isn't slowed down too much?

Regarding the HDDs, I'm having a hard time to figure out if I should build an SSD RAID, a spinning disk RAID, or no RAID at all (as stated in Adobe's "To RAID or not to RAID"- guide). Please advise. Many guides are outdated, so I'm really insecure. Right now, I'm just using a Samsung EVO 840 for previews. So this looks pretty bad, but I have to adjust to slim financial possibilities.

I also only have 16GB of RAM, which I will have to upgrade to 32 as well.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 is the MoBo, Enermax Platimax 850 PSU & 16GB Corsair Dominator RAM, 2x GTX 285 (non-SLI) and Phenom II 1100T CPU. Premiere CC 2014.

I'm mainly editing music clips/shorts in Full HD, or 4k scaled down to Full HD, DSLR type material - MOV, MP4, AVCHD. Maybe someone can point me to affordable hardware that will get the job done, even if it's not high end. I managed to get things done so far, but with lots of preview rendering... I'm willing to invest, but not very capable.

Cheers!