12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 5:45 AM by ehsanz.k

InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up

Jcooper

Hi,

We've had an ongoing problem with one of our users InDesign CS6, I feel like we have tried everything possible. I'll list them for reference:

• Uninstalling InDesign CS6 through the standard "uninstall a program".
      • Uninstalling InDesign CS6 and using the "AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool".
      • Tried installing using different disks.
      • Tried updating the program (some times it showed there being no updates).
      • Tried deleting startup scripts and deleting preferences.
      • Tried with a fresh profile on the users PC.
      • Used multiple PCs to test this with different accounts from different users.
      • In the end we just wiped the Harddrive clean, a completely fresh install of windows 7, still no joy.

The only way we can get this to work and not crash just after start up is by giving the user administrative rights, which for obvious reasons, isn't an option for us.

Here is the problem signature from window that notifies me of the crashing, with all the info inside.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: InDesign.exe

Application Version: 8.0.0.370

Application Timestamp: 4f72c3ee

Fault Module Name: MSVCR100.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.40219.1

Fault Module Timestamp: 4d5f0c22

Exception Code: 40000015

Exception Offset: 0008d6fd

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 7f56

Additional Information 2: 7f56d5316922f11d9c19960fa530c768

Additional Information 3: 1720

Additional Information 4: 1720f133ce639c9412106776314a8c8e

I would provide msinfo and dxdiag files but I feel they are irrelevant due to the fact that it happens on multiple machines.

Could anyone please advise?

Thanks,

Jacob

• 1. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

A couple of things to check...

Do both the user and system have full rights on the prefs folders?

Does reinstalling MSVCR100.dll from Microsoft help?

If it works in an admin account, does it work if you copy the prefs folders from an admin account and replace the folders in the regular account? (Note, you must rename or delete the original folders in the non-admin account before pasting to actually replace the folders, not just the content).

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up
            Jcooper Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your quick response.

Yes the user and system have full rights on the prefs folders.

I can't say I have tried reinstalling MSVCR100.dll from Microsoft, I will  try that.

Also have not tried your last suggestion, although I have installed it as Admin to the D drive, then tried running it from there as a non-admin account which produced the same crash error unfortunately.

I'm going to try the MSVCR100.dll fix and see how it goes, I'll keep you posted.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up
              Jcooper Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your suggestion but unfortunately re-installing MSVCR100.dll didn't work which is a shame.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up

I think the folder replacement is more likely to work, but it also occurs to me that this could be either an issue with the default printer (set it initially to something local, Microsoft Fax or some other virtual printer if there is no real local printer available, and be sure it is online the first time you try to launch ID), or it might be some other software running in the background. You could run MSconfig and turn off anything, including virus and malware scanners, that is non-essential to test.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up
                  Jcooper Level 1

When we completely re-installed the users machine the first thing we tested was to install InDesign and test it with nothing installed / running and it produced the same error unfortunately. Interesting Theory about the printers, I'll give it a go and see what I can come back with. Thanks!

• 6. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up
                    Jcooper Level 1

Doesn't seem to have worked unfortunately :/ Same error.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up

Is the recovery folder empty? I'm running out of ideas here.

But it does sound like a conflict with something else at this point. Any third party plugins? Free fonts?

Humor me and do the diagnostic startup, or maybe even start in Safe Mode and see what happens.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up
                        Jcooper Level 1

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay, I appreciate your help on this.

I'm running out of ideas myself! The recovery folder is empty.

I'll try it in safe mode see what happens, I think it's purely down to permissions if it works with admin but not without (I may be completely wrong). There's no free fonts - I even tried removing a few fonts as suggested in the Adobe support tool they have before you open a thread. I'll let you know what happens.

• 9. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up
                          Jcooper Level 1

Tried in safe mode, with bare minimum opened and still get the same error.

I feel like I've actually ran out of ideas now.. What else is there to try?

• 10. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up

I know it's not what you want to do, but can you set the properties for ID to run as administrator? For what it's worth, I don't think you are unique in having this problem, and I suspect it may be related to networking.

• 11. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up
                              Jcooper Level 1

Hi Peter,

It seems I've finally found a fix! One of my colleagues sent me this so I thought I would share it incase others have the same issue.

These are the steps I followed to get it to work.

1.Create a folder on the C-root, like C:\UserTemp

2.Give the users Modify rights on the folder you created,

3.Run the following commandlines for each user to change their %temp% and %tmp% paths (need to be logged in as the user):

A. setx.exe TEMP C:\UserTemp

B. setx.exe TMP C:\UserTemp

Basically what this does is creates a new TEMP folder where the user can gain full access too, without actually having administrative rights. I've been told this works for all CS6 applications not just InDesign.

Hope this can help someone else in the future and thanks for all your help on this Peter, with the troubleshooting.

Cheers,

Jacob

• 12. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing just after start up
                                ehsanz.k Level 1

I've my temp folder restated in D: Drive, hence was facing this acute problem !!
                                But

thanks to this forum thread,

this saved my hrs...

just a simple solution for a complex startup error !!

wow !!

But I'd also like to know if there is any patch or updates from official Adobe to solve that ??

[as I still don't want to change my TEMP folder yet ;-)]