17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2017 10:29 AM by DerekOmni

Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13

72hundred Level 1

Hi,

Looking for some help in terms of how to troubleshoot an issue I'm having with files that are captured on a Playstation 4. These are captured with the PS4's inbuilt "Share" functionality. Videos are approx 15 mins in duration in total. The problem occurs when the audio will cut out after approx 75% of total playback, the video will continue to playback. It has occurred with several videos from the PS4. Playback on VLC is without issue with full video and audio.

How would I go about starting to figure out why the audio suddenly cuts out?

Many thanks

Adobe Audio Issue.PNG

• 1. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
            A.T. Romano Level 7

72hundred

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running?

MediaInfo gives a very comprehensive view of the video and audio properties of the problem file, but often we can gain all we need for the troubleshooting by

knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the problem video. In your case, you are saying that your video was recorded with Play Station 4 with

Share settings. What were those share settings? What is the file extension of the video? Better yet, does that Play Station 4 share setting mention the video compression

which accompanies the file extension?

Your issue may go to a mismatch between project settings and properties of the source video. So, that makes knowing the properties ever so much more important to

know. The other area to look at is how you are previewing the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor. With that orange line over the Timeline content, that suggests that

you are looking a the playback of an unrendered Timeline which may be the consequence of the mismatch project settings or something else.

What happens to your playback (audio and video)  when you press the Render button above the Timeline, let the Timeline rendering go to completion (orange line turns green), and then

playback your video in the Edit area monitor?

Also, if Play Station 4 is recording the video with a variable frame rate instead of a constant one, that could be a factor in audio out sync.

We will await further details to help us help you. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
              72hundred Level 1

Thanks for the reply;

Info on the file from MediaInfo:

Format                           : MPEG-4

Format_Profile                   : Sony PSP

CodecID                          : MSNV

FileSize/String                  : 770 MiB

Duration/String                  : 14mn 51s

OverallBitRate/String            : 7245 Kbps

Encoded_Date                     : UTC 2015-01-20 19:57:26

Tagged_Date                      : UTC 2015-01-20 19:57:27

Video

ID/String                        : 1

Format                           : AVC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec

Format_Profile                   : Main@L3.1

Format_Settings_CABAC/String     : Yes

Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 1 frame1

Format_Settings_GOP              : M=1, N=30

CodecID                          : avc1

CodecID/Info                     : Advanced Video Coding

BitRate/String                   : 7112 Kbps

Width/String                     : 1280 pixel3

Height/String                    : 720 pixel3

DisplayAspectRatio/String        : 16:9

FrameRate_Mode/String            : CFR

FrameRate/String                 : 29.970 fps3

ColorSpace                       : YUV

ChromaSubsampling                : 4:2:0

BitDepth/String                  : 8 bit3

ScanType/String                  : Progressive

Bits-(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.257

StreamSize/String                : 755 MiB (98%)

Language/String                  : en

Tagged_Date                      : UTC 2015-01-20 19:57:26

colour_primaries                 : BT.709

transfer_characteristics         : BT.709

matrix_coefficients              : BT.709

colour_range                     : Limited

Audio

ID/String                        : 2

Format                           : AAC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec

Format_Profile                   : LC

CodecID                          : 40

BitRate_Mode/String              : CBR

BitRate/String                   : 128 Kbps

Channel(s)/String                : 2 channel2

ChannelPositions                 : Front: L R

SamplingRate/String              : 48.0 KHz

Compression_Mode/String          : Lossy

StreamSize/String                : 13.6 MiB (2%)

Language/String                  : en

Tagged_Date                      : UTC 2015-01-20 19:57:26

• 4. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                72hundred Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

To address your questions:

Its Windows 8.1

The information regarding file type and compression should be above. I don't believe these can be changed at the PS4's end. If there's more info needed please let me know.

As for the settings of Elements I don't change anything and just open a new project. Drag and drop the file into it. I get a prompt to ask if I want to "Fix quality problems in clips?" I clicked yes.

I just tried with rendering it - the same issue occurs. It might be significant that the orange bar of "Audio 1" still remains orange while the video stream now has a green bar above it.

EDIT: I meant to say the top orange bar is now green and the orange bars are still there over the video and audio. Image attached of what I mean. (you can also see as in the previous image the audio time line is completely flat beyond a point - corresponding to when the audio cuts out)

Capture.PNG

• 5. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

72hundred

Thanks for the reply.

Your information suggests that the project may not be automatically setting the correct project preset when the video is dragged to the Expert workspace Timeline for the first time.

Consequently, please double check under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to determine if the set is for

Editing Mode = HD1080i

Timebase = 29.97 frames/second

or

Editing Mode = AVCHD 720p square pixels

Timebase = 29.97 frames/second

If you see, the HD1080i, then open a new project and set the project preset manually to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p30.

Then import your 720p files and determine if the problem is gone. With a matching project preset and source properties, you should observe

no colored line over that content when it is first dragged to the Expert workspace Timeline.

To manually set the project preset

Open the project to the Expert workspace

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, set the project preset to the 720p project setting cited above. OK out of there.

In the new project dialog that appears, make sure to have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Settings on This Project. OK out of there.

Then back in the Expert workspace, import your source video and drag it to the Timeline. No colored line expected over its contents there at that moment.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....Orange line over content as related to Timeline rendering indicator

no colored line or green line - best possible preview exists, no Timeline rendering possible

orange line, Timeline content needs Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview of what is playing back in the Edit area monitor.

Render11.JPG

• 6. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                    72hundred Level 1

Thanks for your reply again.

I tried the above solutions. Trying to get to the 720p via the first method and via the second forced method. The second method did as you mentioned - imported without a orange or infact green line above the video, and clicking "Render" in this mode ended up with the video just playing in the preview window. But unfortunately the issue remains to audio cuts out about 80% through the video, while the video continues to play on.

It seems very unusual as I say as VLC plays the file without issue.

Out of curiosity I just opened Windows Movie Maker (probably a dirty word around here!) and it too has an issue at the time in the file. But what happens there is that the video frame pauses at the same time the audio stops, but the time link keeps changing as if the file was being played. I would at this point think the PS4 and the file itself was at fault but given VLC can play it I'm less inclined to think this way.

• 7. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

72hundred

Thanks for the reply with details.

Movie Maker 2012 and its generations have been very useful to the Premiere Elements users over the years as a video converter for those videos that have problems

in Premiere Elements. So, I would expect it to work for your video.

Given you have 15 minutes of video with linked audio clips and that the audio is cutting out about 25% from the end. Where is that cut out location - within one particular video audio clip, between a pair of clips or other? If we assume that the audio issue occurs with one of the clips, what happens if you rearrange the clips so that the problem clip is the first clip on the Timeline? Does the problem track the 25% from the end or that video clip new location? Is the problem at a particular video or audio transition placement?

Please review and consider and supply more details to help us pin point the cause of this - the verdict is still open.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                        72hundred Level 1

Hey, thanks,

To be precise about the timeline of when the error occurs its that's 14:51 long, the audio cuts out at 13:18. Re-arranging the clip makes no difference, in terms of putting a clip before it or after it. And the issue seems to happen with this clip alone, although I did have a different capture from the PS4 a week or two ago that had similar problem. That time I just ignored it as it was only that one time.

Is there a program (freeware) that I could use to examine the quality of the file, to check for discontinuations of the video or audio stream that might be triggering this issue?

• 9. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

72hundred

Thanks for the follow up.

I would need to do some searching for the type of program that you seek.

I noticed from a prior post of yours in this thread that you are using MediaInfo. Are you seeing any differences in the MediaInfo video and audio properties readings of the good versus the bad?

I need to think about alternative ways to get to the core of the issue.

ATR

• 10. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                            72hundred Level 1

Bump!

Anyone have new info on this in the mean time? Thanks.

• 11. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

72hundred

Has the issue stayed the same since last posting or have any of the details changed?

Did looking at the MediaInfo properties readout for the problem files versus "good" files produce any insights into the cause of the audio cut outs?

Have you checked the audio driver version and assured that it is up to date and compatible with your computer environment?

Have you gone to the Control Panel Sound and explored Playback and the possibility of disabling speaker Enhancements?

I was moving around the Internet and came across the last two ideas at Microsoft.

ATR

• 12. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                                elctr0 Level 1

Same problem with me when I transcode PS4 videos to GoPro CineForm YUV 10bit I get videos with missing sound. the only fix I found is to open it by QuickTime player then doing a save as mov file (Self-Contained movie) & AME will converted without any issues! the pain is when you have to do it every time with files up to 20-30 files!! while the AME is a one click method!

It's 2016 & adobe "Pro products" can't handle this! while open source media players can play it smoothly without problems!I'm having this problem since old versions I think it was the CS5

I hope they fix this for AME at least because AME is the beginning for every pro project!

• 13. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                                  FelixHaeuser Level 1

Are there any news regarding this topic? I observed the very same issue with my PS4 videos. I´m trying to edit them with Premiere Pro CC 2017 but, no matter what I try, the sound of the input video is not properly recognized. When playing it with VLC or the Quick View option on my macOS system, the sound seems to be ok. I did an intensive Google search, but to no avail. Many people experience the same issue and nobody has posted a solution for it. Quite annoying actually.

• 14. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                                    bsnyder175 Level 1

Exact same issue here.  When importing clips into Premiere that were captured from the PS4, the audio suddenly drops out at random points in the timeline.

• 15. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                                      Roodbaerd Level 1

I'm having the same problem but I have found a (counter-intuitive) way around it. I ran one of my clips through Handbrake with the Super HQ 720 setting and after Premiere Pro confirmed the clip the audio plays all the way through.

This seems stupid because it encapsulates the video again but it works...

Edit:

Didn't see this is a topic for Premiere Elements and I'm using Pro but my guess is it will work none the less.

• 16. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                                        MARXLC Level 1

hi there, everyone!

I was having the same issue with my PS4 files. I found a workaround: import the clip, go to audio gain and add +1 db (just to make sure the video is processed). That worked for me and I'm able to work with the videos without any other problems. I use Premiere Pro CC 7.2.1 btw.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Nvm, I captured some new files and had the problem again, even using the method above. I really hope someone finds out how to fix this, right now I'm using the format factory software (freeware) to convert the files and then use them (the audio works fine after conversion to any format) but it's a time consuming process... would be awesome to just use the files directly.

• 17. Re: Video files captured from PS4 have audio that breaks/stops during playback inside Premier Elements 13
                                          DerekOmni Level 1

I just wanted to add that I've also been having this issue for a year now, and never really found a solution to it.  Extremely annoying! 

I've found that it's only videos longer than 2ish minutes that this happens on.  For instance, when I save a video from my PS4, I will usually use the trim option in the Capture Gallery to shorten it down to a minute or so.  It's for the ones that I don't trim (my default SHARE button time is 3 minutes), are usually the videos that have audio drop out in Premiere.

My workaround has been re-encoding through COMPRESSOR, not Media Encoder.  Because Media Encoder doesn't fix anything when I output to the same codec, although transcoding to a different codec might help...