10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2015 4:14 AM by Limbu Keshar

Exporting to PDF issue

Limbu Keshar

My document contains pages in following sequence:

1. cover page (no page number)

2. content pages (page numbers in lowercase roman numbers. eg i, ii, iii, iv, ..)

3. main (page numbers in arabic numbers. eg. 1, 2, 3 ,4, 5, 6, ..)

4. appendices (page numbers in uppercase roman - arabic numbers. eg. I-1, I-2, II-1, II-2, III-1, III-2, IV-1, IV-2, IV-3)

Everything is fine in indesign but when I export to PDF I have the following issue:

I cannot print the first page of "main" by enter the page number in range as 1 because the cover page is treated as page 1. All other pages are affected in the same manner.

I would be very grateful if any one could help me.

Sincerely yours,

Limbu

• 1. Re: Exporting to PDF issue
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Enter page numbers with the + sign before to indicate absolute numbers.

If there are 70 pages in your document, print pages +1-+70.

• 2. Re: Exporting to PDF issue
            Limbu Keshar Level 1

Thank you Steve.

I tried by does not work. In acrobat reader the page number is displayed as 1(8/540)  for the page in position  and 1(1/540) for page in position 1 in the page number toolbar because position 8 is the 1st Page of main and position 1 is the 1st page of cover. So now this two pages in acrobat reader seems to have the same page number so when I put 1 in print range then the output is always the page 1 of cover page and never the page 1 of main.

• 3. Re: Exporting to PDF issue
              Migintosh Level 4

Limbu Keshar wrote:

I cannot print the first page of "main" by enter the page number in range as 1 because the cover page is treated as page 1. All other pages are affected in the same manner.

I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you, but you should be able to print any page by entering the number as it appears in the document into the Range field in the Print window. I just tried and was able to print page iv, page 4 and page IV from a doc set up the same way yours is. Does this fail for you in just this one document, or can you reproduce it in a new document?

• 4. Re: Exporting to PDF issue
                Limbu Keshar Level 1

This fails for all the documents. I can export the PDF correctly and the PDF is fine. I open the PDF in acrobat reader and everything is fine. All the page numbers in the documents are fine. But when I print the PDF from the acrobat reader I get this problem.

• 5. Re: Exporting to PDF issue
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try changing the numbering style on the cover page to A,B, C.... I don't know for sure if this will work, but I think it should prevent the duplication of numbers.

• 6. Re: Exporting to PDF issue
                    Limbu Keshar Level 1

I tried but still the same problem.

• 7. Re: Exporting to PDF issue

Hmmm. Suppose you change the page number for the cover to something larger than the total page count, 1001, for example. Does that make a difference?

I've found this numbering thing in Acrobat to be a problem for years, by the way.

• 8. Re: Exporting to PDF issue
                        Limbu Keshar Level 1

Page numbers should remain in the format requested by the Client. Hence, changing the page number format is not an option for me.

I made a pdf from a word document with the same page numbers and there is no problem with the PDF, hence I can print exact range to the printer if the pdf is generated from word document.

I am facing this problem when I try to export pdf from indesign.

• 9. Re: Exporting to PDF issue

Since the cover page doesn't carry a number for the reader, only for the computer logic, I don't see an issue with playing with it.

And I don't deny this is a problem related to ID.

• 10. Re: Exporting to PDF issue
                            Limbu Keshar Level 1

In the PDF if I have a cover without page number, contents with 4 pages, main with 50 pages, appendix I with 38 pages and appendix II with 52 pages.

Now if I want to whole appendix I, or whole appendix II or a range of pages in the main then it is very difficult because I will have to provide a range of pages in this case and the range of appendix I will have 1-50, appendix II will also have 1-38, cover will have only one page, contents will have 1-4 pages. In this situation the pdf will take the cover as 1 content page 2 as 2 content page as 3 content page 4 as 4 and main page 5 as 5.No how can I print the range from main page 1 to 4 or page range from appendix 1 to 30 and so no...?

Right now the only option for me is to print one page at a time selecting the current page in the print dialog box.