4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 10:51 PM by MrJustinSilva

APE 12.1 Playback lag but more so when fast forwarding

MrJustinSilva

I have been recording soccer games and importing files from canon vixia hfm50 at AVCHD(.MTS) MXP(though unsure what specific resolution and frames are). Then loading these into APE, I should note that I have never encountered a skipping/lag issue in my playback screen until today when using the same exact settings and methods I have before.

-Preset is 1080p 60fps, though tried 1080i 30fps and still encountered same lagging issue

-skipping occurred consistently on the same 2 gb clip around the same time which was the 3rd same size clip I imported in to edit.

-Interl Core i7-2600k CPU 3.4Ghz, 16.0 GB RAM, 64-bit OS, Windows 7 HP, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Hitachi HDS721010DLE630

First time here, so if any more information is needed please let me know. Thank you for the time.

• 1. Re: APE 12.1 Playback lag but more so when fast forwarding
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MrJustinSilva

I am fairly sure that you are recording 1920 x 1080, but it would be very helpful if you could double check your camera settings to verify the frame rate 29.97/30/60 or 25/50? Adding whether interlaced or progressive frame rate would be a big help. I suspect that your have 1080p60. If that is the case, then go and stay with

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

and look for no colored line over that import when it is first dragged to the Timeline. That tells you that you are getting the best possible preview.

The setting of the project preset by you (manually) or the project (automatically) to match the properties of the source files is very important to a successful outcome.

Have all your other source videos had a .mts file extension. Any possibilities that the previous ones might have had a .mp4 file extension. Both would use the AVCHD video compression, but would have different file extensions.

When you playback the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor is there an orange line over the Timeline content? If so, are you rendering that Timeline by pressing the Render button in order to get the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor?

Does the problem present if you opened a new project?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: APE 12.1 Playback lag but more so when fast forwarding
            MrJustinSilva Level 1

*Answers in bold

I am fairly sure that you are recording 1920 x 1080, but it would be very helpful if you could double check your camera settings to verify the frame rate 29.97/30/60 or 25/50? Adding whether interlaced or progressive frame rate would be a big help. I suspect that your have 1080p60.

60i is the setting, though options for pf30/24

If that is the case, then go and stay with

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

and look for no colored line over that import when it is first dragged to the Timeline. That tells you that you are getting the best possible preview.

Are you referring to this black bordered line around it? http://prntscr.com/5v3ua0

The setting of the project preset by you (manually) or the project (automatically) to match the properties of the source files is very important to a successful outcome.

Have all your other source videos had a .mts file extension. Any possibilities that the previous ones might have had a .mp4 file extension. Both would use the AVCHD video compression, but would have different file extensions.

No I just checked and all previous one's have been .MTS

When you playback the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor is there an orange line over the Timeline content? If so, are you rendering that Timeline by pressing the Render button in order to get the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor?

No there is no orange line that I see now nor do I remember seeing in previous post work http://prntscr.com/5v3uxi

Does the problem present if you opened a new project?

That's the thing I've tried opening the project straight from "existing projects" and "new projects", have tried importing them in one by one, importing them all in and editing. The skipping only starts on the 3rd file though consistently, but I have worked on games just as long and files just as big before so not sure why it's happening all of a sudden.

Thank you for your time.

• 3. Re: APE 12.1 Playback lag but more so when fast forwarding
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MrJustinSilva

It is very late where I am but I just saw your thread and wanted to reply before calling it a day.

If you are recording 60i, then you want the project preset

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

The render indicator line to which I was referring can be seen in the following screenshot

Render.JPG

There is another user of the program who has been having problems with the AVCHD.mts in version 13

and is going to be recording the AVCHD.mp4 from the camera instead. But in your case you are dealing with an it worked before

but not now which is challenging.

When you say that the file skipping sets in about the 3rd file, do you find that no matter what the 3rd file is you get the skip or is the skip

associated with a particular file?

Do you still have any of the older footage that did not present with this issue? If so, it would be a good idea to determine if the old that was good is

still good in the present Premiere Elements computer environment.

I will revisit your thread later in the morning and think about this some more.

ATR

• 4. Re: APE 12.1 Playback lag but more so when fast forwarding
                MrJustinSilva Level 1

If you are recording 60i, then you want the project preset

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

I had my preset on that for one of the tests and it still lagged, skipping, froze for short amount of times while the timer kept going.

The render indicator line to which I was referring can be seen in the following screenshot

Render.JPG

I am familiar with the orange line though have yet to see it on any of my sessions

There is another user of the program who has been having problems with the AVCHD.mts in version 13

and is going to be recording the AVCHD.mp4 from the camera instead. But in your case you are dealing with an it worked before

but not now which is challenging.

I'd love to know how to switch from .mts to .mp4 from my AVCHD setting as I'm sure I saw an option for it or if so then I'm just unaware or have missed it.

When you say that the file skipping sets in about the 3rd file, do you find that no matter what the 3rd file is you get the skip or is the skip

associated with a particular file?

The file either lags, skips, freezes then continues seconds later, I'll test the 3rd file part out tomorrow as I'm not sure if a file was corrupted, if that could even be a reason for the lag/skipping.

Do you still have any of the older footage that did not present with this issue? If so, it would be a good idea to determine if the old that was good is

still good in the present Premiere Elements computer environment.

I will test some of the older files as well to see if it's possibly a camera setting I messed with or maybe the file is corrupt as I mentioned above.

I will revisit your thread later in the morning and think about this some more.

Thank you so much for your help and hopefully I'll have a better idea tomorrow.