4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 3:56 PM by Slow Clap Productions

    Green artifacts in render using OpenCL

    heyitsvo1 Level 1

      I'm running into an issue where I have green artifacts flashing over the final output when OpenCL is used.  I've notice this is only happening with sequences longer than 15minutes (regardless of codec).  My current work around is to use the Software only renderer, but when it comes to exporting a 5k Red sequence to 1080p, OpenCL takes 40 minutes to render my 18 minute sequence without an issue whereas the Software Only option takes 4 HOURS (according to AME's log) and isn't presentable.  Is there anything on the Adobe end that can mitigate this or am I at Apple's mercy?

       

       

      2013 Mac Pro (10.10.1 Yosemite)

      Processor: 3.5Ghz 6-Core

      Memory: 64GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC

      Graphics: AMD FirePro D700 6144MB

      Adobe CC apps are running latest versions

       

      Screen Shot 2015-01-20 at 11.58.36 PM.png

        • 1. Re: Green artifacts in render using OpenCL
          heyitsvo1 Level 1

          Bueller............Bueller..........

          • 2. Re: Green artifacts in render using OpenCL
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

            Hi Heyitsvo,

            If you get clean exports in Software Only mode, but lines in exports with dual AMD GPUs, you might try having your computer hardware (GPUs, MoBo, etc) tested by an Apple Service Center. It's possible you may have faulty hardware.

             

            Thanks,

            Kevin

            • 3. Re: Green artifacts in render using OpenCL
              heyitsvo1 Level 1

              Hi Kevin,

               

              Since this issue only happens with Premiere and Media Encoder, Apple basically told me it wasn't their problem since their tests claim everything is working as it should and they won't look at 3rd Party software.

               

              Here's my terminal log when I launch Premiere (I don't get theses on my rMBP w. Nvidia GPU):

              2/6/15 12:27:03.314 AM GPUSniffer[1382]: [CL_INVALID_OPERATION] : OpenCL Error : Failed to retrieve device information! Invalid enumerated value!

              2/6/15 12:27:05.689 AM Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014[1379]: [CL_INVALID_OPERATION] : OpenCL Error : Failed to retrieve device information! Invalid enumerated value!

               

              Know of any possible work around? Assuming it's a software issue? (Playing devil's advocate).

              • 4. Re: Green artifacts in render using OpenCL
                Slow Clap Productions Level 1

                Hi Kevin/Adobe,

                 

                I am having similar render artifacting issues. Mine look very similar, although they vary in color. I've attached some screenshots.Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 3.39.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-04-17 at 3.39.25 PM.png

                 

                I have three MacPro editing systems.

                 

                Two have these specs (they were not purchased at the same time):

                Mac Pro (Late 2013)

                2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5

                64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC

                AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

                OSX Yosemite 10.10.3

                 

                One has these specs:

                Mac Pro (Late 2013)

                3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

                64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC

                AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

                OSX Yosemite 10.9.5

                 

                The data and project files live on an external RAID. So I've taken the projects to each system independently. The artifacting ONLY happens on the 12-Core systems running Yosemite 10.10.3.

                 

                The artifacting has occurred both with Sony's XAVC (from an FS7) and with Apple's ProRes 422 (LT, 422, and HQ).

                 

                If I disable Mercury Playback in either of those systems, the artifacting disappears.

                 

                I am running Premiere Pro 2014.2.

                 

                These are the things I've tried but so far nothing has been a permanent solution:

                 

                - Reinstalling. Helps the problem, but the problem appears again after a few hours or days.

                - Trashing preferences. Helps the problem, but the problem appears again after a few hours or days.

                - Unplugging all monitors except one. Seemed to help the problem at first, but can't come to a conclusion on whether it actually helped.

                - Adding a 3rd part i/o device (Blackmagic Intensity). Didn't help.

                 

                Please advise on a potential solution. This is crippling our workflow. Disabling GPU acceleration is a workaround in some cases, but not all, since many of our projects are dealing with 5-10 layers of 4K footage at once, and we need playback that's relatively seamless for client sessions. Without GPU acceleration, this isn't possible.

                 

                Thanks so much.

                 

                Daniel Lichtenberg

                dan@theslowclap.com