9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2015 10:01 AM by cfloratos

Greek Hyphenation and Dictionary

cfloratos

I am planning on buying a subsription for Indesign CC 2014. I want to create a book and I was wondering which are my options for Greek Language dictionary and Hyphenation?

After searching online I found out that my only option is with opensource Hunspell dictionaries and the Hunspell plugin.

Is this the only way or there is another more native way to have IDCC spellcheck and hyphenate my greek language text?

• 1. Re: Greek Hyphenation and Dictionary
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I believe the Hunspell Greek dictionary is installed and enabled automatically. Nothing special you need to do.

• 2. Re: Greek Hyphenation and Dictionary
            cfloratos Level 1

Do you have personal experience with that?

• 3. Re: Greek Hyphenation and Dictionary

Not beyond taking a look at CC 2014 and seeing that the dictionary is there and ready, and I didn't install it myself as I don't work in Greek.

• 4. Re: Greek Hyphenation and Dictionary

If you're worried, why not download the trial and give it a whirl?

• 5. Re: Greek Hyphenation and Dictionary
                  cfloratos Level 1

I have done it allready and now my trial is expired!!!.....

Could you please check it for me on your set up?

Here is a sample text:

Την άποψη ότι η έξοδος της Ελλάδας από τη ζώνη του ευρώ θα ήταν καταστροφική για τη χώρα, εξέφρασε η επικεφαλής του Διεθνούς Νομισματικού Ταμείου, Κριστίν Λαγκάρντ, χθες Τρίτη μιλώντας στον ιρλανδικό κρατικό ραδιοφωνικό σταθμό RTE.

Σύμφωνα με το Reuters, η επικεφαλής του ΔΝΤ ρωτήθηκε για το εάν μια πιθανή έξοδος της Ελλάδας θα ήταν καταστροφική για την ευρωζώνη, διευκρίνισε ωστόσο πως αυτό δεν είναι ούτε νομοθετικά εφικτό , ούτε προς το συμφέρον της χώρας.

«Καταρχήν κάτι τέτοιο δεν επιτρέπεται βάσει των κανόνων της ζώνης του ευρώ και στη συνέχεια, πιστεύω ότι θα ήταν καταστροφικό για την Ελλάδα», απάντησε χαρακτηριστικά.

Υπενθυμίζεται πως μιλώντας προ ημερών στο Council on Foreign Relations στην Ουάσιγκτον η επικεφαλής του ΔΝΤ είχε αναφέρει πως δεν υπάρχουν ενδείξεις εξόδου της Ελλάδας από την ευρωζώνη, όποιος και αν είναι ο νικητής των εκλογών.

Όπως είχε τονίσει, το ΔΝΤ αναμένει τις εκλογές της 25ης Ιανουαρίου για να ξαναρχίσει τις συζητήσεις με την όποια κυβέρνηση προκύψει στην Ελλάδα, ενώ είχε ξεκαθαρίσει ότι οι διαρθρωτικές μεταρρυθμίσεις θα πρέπει να συνεχιστούν, ώστε η ελληνική οικονομία να αναπτυχθεί με βιώσιμο και συνεκτικό τρόπο.

Thanks!!!

• 7. Re: Greek Hyphenation and Dictionary
                    cfloratos Level 1

Oh, that's so nice!!! Thank you so much Peter!!! You solved my problem!!!
                    Tell me now, what did you do? You just added from IDCC menu the dictionary for greek? No downloads for Hunspell no nothing?

• 8. Re: Greek Hyphenation and Dictionary

I opened ID CC 2014, created a doc, copied the text from the forum, made a text frame, changed the language to Greek in the language dropdown in the Character panel (you can do it from the Control panel in text mode, too), and pasted the text, then adjusted the column width and justified the text to make it hyphenate for you.

If you set your default language to Greek (by choosing it with nothing open, and I'd edit the [Basic Paragraph] style, too) you wouldn't even need to set the language attribute except for non-Greek text.

• 9. Re: Greek Hyphenation and Dictionary
                        cfloratos Level 1

Thank you so much Peter!!!