19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2016 12:04 PM by Szalam

User Interface Max Lightness

Bruno Quintin Level 1

Hi,

I'm an After Effects teacher. For the video projection, my students prefer an interface with more brightness.

In the preference setting Appearance, maximum Brightness is too low.

I try to change the preference file. I found this lines :

"User Interface Max Darkness Percent" = "70"

"User Interface Max Lightness Percent" = "50"

(in Adobe After Effects 13.2 Prefs.txt)

and

"User Interface Brightness (4) [0.0..1.0]" = "0.000000"

(in Adobe After Effects 13.2 Prefs-indep-general.txt)

I made many tests but it doesn't work.

Is it impossible to change the maximum brightness by editing the preference file?

Thanks

• 1. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

This is an adjustment that varies from version to version.  Thus, we need to know the version you're using.

• 2. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
            Eleni K

I'm having this problem too.

My biz partner/husband just upgraded my AE (without my permission) to v13.2 and the display brightness (or lack of it) is driving me apeshit.  It's taking twice as long to do or find anything.  I thought I was doing something wrong but I looked at the latest features list and indeed it's described as a new feature that the Appearance preference is limited and lower in brightness overall. Why would that possibly be a beneficial change, to have a small range of brightness?  Is there any way to fix this?

• 4. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, you're stuck.  That version of AE doesn't have controls for modifying user interface brightness or text/feyframe colors.  Sorry.

While it won't help your situation right now, it's a common gripe among AE users, and Adobe says there's a fix  coming.  Some people say it can't come soon enough.

• 5. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
                Eleni K Level 1

Thanks for the fast reply.  Hopefully it will be fixed fast; until then I guess I'll join the legions of squeaky wheels and not promise any projects will come in "real time."

• 6. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Bruno, we intend to add more customizability to brightness of UI elements in a release slated for this spring.

• 7. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
                    eric10001 Level 1

Can't happen soon enough.

How could this ever be considered a "new feature" or "improvement"?  Seems more likely this was done for Adobe software's marketing brand standard than as a benefit to its customers.  Those dark interfaces look so cool and high tech... until you need to use them for hours at a time.

• 8. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6
                      eric10001 wrote:

Seems more likely this was done for Adobe software's marketing brand standard than as a benefit to its customers. Those dark interfaces look so cool and high tech... until you need to use them for hours at a time.

Well, just look at this very web site... and a great majority of other web sites for that matter.  You don't see much cool, high-tech dark gray.  You see good ol' white.  Everybody can see text, icons, colors... the list goes on.

Is there some sort of rule that compels graphic designers of user interfaces to re-invent the wheel, often resulting in annoying and downright unreadable consequences?  Do they lose their license to be cool or something?

• 9. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
                        eric10001 Level 1

Web sites in white with romper room colors/icons and A/V software interfaces in dark gray.  FCPX, MC, Resolve and the CC products all default to the dark gray look.  Hell, even Apple is doing it in their OS... as an option.  Premiere, as well as the Apple Pro Apps and Resolve, work okay in the default dark gray for me, but AE is HORRIBLE.  At least with MC you can still get the 90's milk gray look if you desire it (in addition to all the other 90's era features that come standard!) 

The reinvention of the wheel is purely for marketing the look of the product.

• 10. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Tell me about it -- I used to cut in FCP 7, but now forced into Avid MC 6.

But it's not the 90's-looking UI that bothers me -- I found the "lighten up the UI backgrounds" controls, incidentally -- it's the 90's approach to the way Avid still works.  Really annoying.

• 11. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
                            Bruno Quintin Level 1

I read the other conversations on the subject, but my question and my surprise, was that we can not act in preferences files to resolve this issue pending the update.

change this value in Adobe After Effects 13.2 Prefs.txt has no effect

"User Interface Max Darkness Percent" = "70"

"User Interface Max Lightness Percent" = "50"

and here, above 0.5 there is no more brightness

"User Interface Brightness (4) [0.0..1.0]" = "0.000000"

(in Adobe After Effects 13.2 Prefs-indep-general.txt)

thank you for all your answers

• 12. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
                              martoons1 Level 1

Hi. It's October 2016. Has the brightness issue been fixed yet?

I still can't get the interface as bright as it used to get.

M

• 13. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
                                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

martoons1 wrote:

Hi. It's October 2016. Has the brightness issue been fixed yet?

I still can't get the interface as bright as it used to get.

The CC 2015.3 release (version 13.8.1) does give more options for customization, but it does not get as light as it used to get. However, many people who had issues in the past have been able to work better once they've tweaked some of the newer options. Please try out all of the customization options and then, if you can't get it to a comfortable state, file a feature request and be specific about what you want and why you want it. "As bright as before" isn't quite enough; explain why you want it to be that bright.

• 14. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
                                  martoons1 Level 1

thanks for the response Szalam.

but what customization options? the ones listed in this thread are all said to be unhelpful.

and if it can't get as bright as previous version, can't they just say so.

i may be an old guy, i don't like that developers keep changing elements that have been tried and tested over the years.

• 15. Re: User Interface Max Lightness

Just because the new customization options don't work for some people, doesn't mean they won't work for you. everyone is different, so give it a try and see what works for you.

I understand them wanting to change things. Just because the interior of a room looked great back in the 1990's, doesn't guarantee it'll still look great now in 2016. They just need our help to keep it accessible. 

• 16. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
                                      WShawn Level 1

So we're nearly two years out from this original post.  I just downloaded AE 2017, launched it and checked the Appearance preference only to find, once again, that there's no way to generate a dark on light interface.

And so I'll continue to do the bulk of my AE work in After Effects CC for one reason and one reason only:  It's the last version of this software that allows me to work in a light background with dark text and icons.  I've found none of the features or "improvements" in subsequent versions of AE compelling enough to compensate for the DECREASED productivity I experience when having to work in this now mandatory light on dark interface.

It's not a matter of simply "getting used to it."  On various occasions I've spent days working in this light on dark interface, and even after several days I find myself tentatively navigating through my timeline window because it's demonstrably busier than the dark on light version, making it more difficult to select and manipulate the various elements.

To be clear, I'm not insisting that everyone one HAS to work with such an interface, I just want to know WHY that option was removed in CC 2014.  WHY put the energy into REMOVING a feature?   Obviously I'm in the minority of users pining for a return to this functionality, but that doesn't make me wrong.

Once again I'll write up a feature request, though at this point I'm probably just banging my head against the wall.  It would be swell if someone from Adobe would just come on this forum and state, unequivocally, that they will NEVER return that option of working dark on light.  That will save from this now annual exercise of writing up a feature request for this.

Shawn Marshall

Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

• 17. Re: User Interface Max Lightness

WShawn wrote:

I just want to know WHY that option was removed in CC 2014. WHY put the energy into REMOVING a feature? Obviously I'm in the minority of users pining for a return to this functionality, but that doesn't make me wrong.

If I were a betting man, I would venture that the feature wasn't removed, per se. My guess is that they just haven't put it in yet. The new UI in AE, Premiere, etc. seems like it's a whole new thing - nothing to remove if it's all new! The good news is that they seem to be building on it version to version. Hopefully, for people like you (and I know there are quite a number), they'll get to putting the new version of dark on light options back into the mix sooner rather than later.

But, yes, it would be nice to hear one way or the other from somebody at Adobe rather than just speculating amongst ourselves. And don't feel too disheartened about feature requests. Sometimes it can take a while, but persistence can pay off there!

• 18. Re: User Interface Max Lightness
                                          WShawn Level 1

The semantics of how the software was altered in regards to the functionality of adjusting the appearance of the AE interface is immaterial to me.  It doesn't matter to me whether some lines of existing code were excised or a whole new block of interface code was written from scratch that eliminates the dark on light option.  It's the end result for the user that upsets me.  I've been an After Effects user since around 1997.  Back then you HAD to work in a dark on light interface.  Around the time of AE 8 they added the OPTION of working in a light on dark interface.  With that release the user now had the OPTION of working in whatever environment they preferred.  Everyone was happy.  And then in CC 2014 they remove the OPTION of working dark on light.  Were users clamoring to have that option REMOVED?  Of course not.  I'm guessing someone higher up the organizational chain, who never had to actually work with the software to make a living, mandated that all Adobe video media products had to have a consistent, light on dark interface.  It's of the same mentality that led Apple to create the "new" trashcan MacPro.  Form over function.

Shawn Marshall

Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

• 19. Re: User Interface Max Lightness

I understand that semantics may seem irrelevant, but you asked "why take the energy to remove it?" I was just trying to explain that I don't think energy was spent to remove it, but it would take energy to put it back in.

Now, why there was a need to redesign the UI at all is another question. It certainly does seem like somebody higher up in Adobe has decided the UI must all have a certain look. While I, personally, prefer working with the dark version (much less eye strain for me), I can understand that many people prefer the other way around - and I would like more customization too! If you know others who prefer dark on light, have them file feature requests/bug reports too. I know a lot of folks like the dark, but don't like the blue highlight color - they prefer the old orange/amber - and I tell them the same thing: file the requests and let Adobe know. The more people knocking on Adobe's door about these UI changes, the more chance the UI team will deliver what we want/need