5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 2:22 AM by Willi Adelberger

Help with tables please

jilld62822305

Does anyone know how to create a numbers column at the be@ginning of a table?

• 1. Re: Help with tables please
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Can you elaborate what you want to do?

Do you want to have only a numbered list with hanging intent, or is your intention

• 2. Re: Help with tables please
            jilld62822305 Level 1

Hi Willi,

Thanks for replying.

I wish to make a left hand column in a table that lists numbers 1-500 for companies to be listed in the next column

• 3. Re: Help with tables please

Wouldn't it be easier to make a numbered list and after the number a tabulator and then the company? That would be done without a table.

Otherwise, a table and in the first column put the numbers, you can do it automatically with numbers in a paragraph style like the other solution, but you have to set at least one letter after the number or a fixed space, otherwise no number would appear.

• 4. Re: Help with tables please
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Willi Adelberger wrote:

[..] you can do it automatically with numbers in a paragraph style like the other solution, but you have to set at least one letter after the number or a fixed space, otherwise no number would appear.

Fortunately this can be done very quickly.

1. Type a single space in the first cell where you want to add the numbers.
                2. Add a number to it using Bullets & Numbering, list type "Numbers". A number "1." will appear in the cell.
                3. Select the cell -- not the text in the cell, not the column or table. Just the single cell.
                4. Copy.
                5. Select the entire column.
                6. Paste!

This auto-repeat is one of the more surprising 'hidden' functions in tables that I know; I don't see it mentioned in the online Help.

• 5. Re: Help with tables please

I suppose this should be done better with a cell style which inludes a Paragraph style for numbeed lists.

But for me it is not obvious if a table would be the best solution.