6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2015 9:33 AM by bradross2610

Reverting to original filename issue

bradross2610

Still pretty new to Lightroom and I made a workflow error that I cannot seem to fix. Wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

When I import I put original files on my working drive and my backup drive. I then work off the working drive editing. When done I rename my files 0001, 0002 etc. for export.

Once the work is done and delivered I simply delete the originals from the working drive and then point lightroom to the backup copy in case I need to re-edit anything in the future.

This process worked with Aperture because Aperture does not actually rename the original files. (It creates a version name.)

Lightroom unfortunately does not like this method since it is looking for the renamed versions and not the original names that are on the backup drive. I tried to rename back to original but it will only allow this if it can find the original.

I am stuck with individually having to re-link 800 images per wedding.

Am I missing a simple fix?

(I know in the future i must copy the renamed versions to the backup drive before deleting from the working drive. )

• 1. Re: Reverting to original filename issue
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you need to reevaluate your workflow. The second copy that you use as a backup should be considered precisely for that purpose, as a backup if needed. If you delete the files you have been working on then all of your editing work is completely gone. You have no way of recovering it. If the client wants to order additional copies of any image you will have to start your editing all over for those images. If you don't want to keep the images you have worked on, it would at least be prudent to export JPEG copies to your backup drive. Those will be named properly, and will have all of the adjustments made using Lightroom. If the images are renamed then there is no way to link things up as you are wanting to do.

• 2. Re: Reverting to original filename issue
            bradross2610 Level 1

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply. Technically the work is not lost since I can go relink the files individually back to the original raw name as Lightroom does store the original filename in the metadata. The edits are preserved.

In the future my last step will be to copy over the renamed RAW files to the backup drive and remove the original filenamed raws.

• 3. Re: Reverting to original filename issue
              dj_paige Level 9

The idea of deleting the originals from the working drive is contrary to the way Lightroom was designed and will cause problems for you and extra unnecessary work re-linking to your backup drive.

Furthermore, if you delete the originals from the working drive, you no longer have true backups. A backup is a 2nd identical copy of a photo (or any computer file). By deleting the original, you can call the files on the backup drive "backups", but they really are not backups in any meaningful sense. If that so-called "backup drive" fails, you now have ZERO copies of your photo, and this is not a good situation to be in.

As Jim said, your workflow needs to be re-evaluated based on how Lightroom is supposed to operate.

• 4. Re: Reverting to original filename issue
                bradross2610 Level 1

Fully understand backup. On import I not only copy the files to my in office backup drive but to a 2nd location off site and a cloud location. So after import I have 4 copies (working #1, on site #2, off site #3, cloud #4. When the job is finished and I remove the working copy I have 3 left in 3 locations.

This workflow failed because of my move to Lightroom. Apple Aperture does not actually rename the RAW files. It uses a version system so you can easily relink to the original raw files even after renaming.

Lesson learned. Understand the software more before committing fully.

• 5. Re: Reverting to original filename issue
                  dj_paige Level 9

Fully understand backup. On import I not only copy the files to my in office backup drive but to a 2nd location off site and a cloud location. So after import I have 4 copies (working #1, on site #2, off site #3, cloud #4. When the job is finished and I remove the working copy I have 3 left in 3 locations.

Ok, that's good news. You have no idea how many people in this forum don't have true backups. Good for you.

• 6. Re: Reverting to original filename issue
                    bradross2610 Level 1

Going to post how I fixed this in case it ever comes up for someone.

This method does require knowledge of MYSQLite so it is probably not a very accessible fix but can be done.

Probably a bunch of gibberish to most but here goes.

This is for Lightroom 5.7..1 - database structure might change in the future and this would no longer work.

1. You need to download SQLitebrowser

2. Duplicate your LR Library in case you mess up.

3. Open your LR Catalog in SQLitebrowser

4. Go to the AGLibraryFile

5. Execute the following sql scripts:

To move Original Filename to idx_filename field 

- update AgLibraryFile set idx_filename = originalFilename

To move Original Filename to lc_idx_filename field 

- update AgLibraryFile set lc_idx_filename = originalFilename

To move Original Filename to baseName field 

- update AgLibraryFile set baseName = originalFilename

To remove the file extension from the baseName

- update AgLibraryFile SET baseName = SUBSTR(baseName, 1,LENGTH(baseName)-4)

Open Lightroom and you will magically have all your photos back to their original names even if you have lost the renamed RAW.