6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2007 3:51 PM by Rothrock

Size Limit of FLV Video?

Axoncom
      Can Can a FLV video w/ a frame size of 800x450 reliably play off of a CD-ROM? (It has a simple voiceover audio track, and will be around 5 minutes long. The FLV will be embedded in an 800x600 flash movie.)
        • 1. Re: Size Limit of FLV Video?
          SymTsb Level 2
          It will be completely dependent on the users cpu and other hardware but generally, it is possible.
          • 2. Re: Size Limit of FLV Video?
            Axoncom Level 1
            This is for production and distribution to a wide audience of viewers.....any recommendations?
            • 3. Re: Size Limit of FLV Video?
              Rothrock Level 5
              Test early, test often.

Recently somebody was saying that you can't stream an FLV from a CD on the Macintosh platform. However I found no problem, so I don't know what that is about.

Others have said that there is sometimes a caching problem with FLVs on the PC side. Again I've not seen this, so I don't know.
              • 4. Re: Size Limit of FLV Video?
                Axoncom Level 1
                Thanks for the input SymTsb and Rothrock. We are putting together a CD with full motion video chapters (shot in high def.) interspersed with 3D animations. Would like to maximize screen size....should we be doing this in Flash 8, Director or some other program? Any recommendations? Again this is produced for a wide audience with lots of different computers.

Thanks!
                • 5. Re: Size Limit of FLV Video?
                  SymTsb Level 2
                  Flash will work but like Roth said, test early - test often.... especially on the target hardware if possible. If you find performance issues, look at perhaps using the platforms video player i.e. Windows Media Player or QuickTime (or just QuickTime) and see if the playback is any better. You may have to resort to ExternalInterface or FSCommands on your CD/Kiosk.
                  • 6. Re: Size Limit of FLV Video?
                    Rothrock Level 5
                    For what you have described, I would say that Flash is not the tool for this. It sounds much more like Director.

Full motion HD video – not in Flash. 3D animations – not in Flash.

Flash is excellent and can be used in a lot of ways on a lot of platforms. Many things can be faked and approximated.