32 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2015 9:38 AM by Sergio A Almeida

How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?

Sergio A Almeida

• 1. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio A Almeida

What is the resolution of your 2.7 K video ( 2704 x 1524?) and what do you want in the way of an export

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Video Compression

Audio Compression

File Extension

I can give you specific how to with the above.

Otherwise, I will tell you that you will make a Publish+Share/Computer selection with preset and then customize the preset

under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of the preset. But here is what Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with preset MP4

H.264 1920 x 1080p30 customized to 2704 x 1524 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second in the Advanced Button/Video Tab.

2.7K.JPG

We will be watching for further details for us to help you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
            Sergio A Almeida Level 1

Hi ATR, 

Thank you for your prompt reply. I really don't know the answer to all your questions. 

I just want to export my videos, exactly as I shot it, with my GoPro set to 2.7k-60fps. File extention is MP4. 

Do you know why there is no option in Premiere Elements for exporting in 4k and 2.7k?

Sergio

• 3. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

There is no default export category or export preset setting for 2.7 K (assumed resolution 2704 x 1524), but you can customize a MP4 preset under its Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset to get wanted export. See prior post numbered 1. You can use Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD or XAVC-S for that. On the import side, there is no 2.7 K project preset.

On the 4K side of things, you will find default presets for 4 K (with the sizing of 3840 x 2160) in the project presets for import as well as in the export area.

Import

See

NTSC

AVCHD

and the QFHD choices

Export

See

Publish+Share

Computer

XAVC-S

with default presets for the 3840 x 2160 size. You can even customize them under the Advanced Button/Video Tab if need be for bitrate and other.

Please let me know if you are now clear on your 2.7 K and 4 K opportunities in Premiere Elements 13?

If you post the frame rate and bitrate of your GoPro footage, I will post step by step details with settings.

ATR

• 4. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                Sergio A Almeida Level 1

Thank you again.

“If you post the frame rate and bitrate of your GoPro footage, I will post step by step details with settings”

Yes please let me know the step by step for the GoPro footage settings (2.7k – 60fps).

De: A.T. Romano 

Enviada em: quinta-feira, 22 de janeiro de 2015 12:02

Para: Sergio Almeida

Assunto:  How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/7120916#7120916>

• 5. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

Please explore the following workflow for your 2.7K GoPro footage

1. Open Premiere Elements 13 to the Expert workspace. You are going to set the project preset manually instead of letting the project do it for you automatically. We can go into the why later.

2. There is not a project preset for 2.7 K sizing of 2704 x 1524, so we are going to do the following.

Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In Change Settings, set the project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

OK out of that area.

In the new project dialog that you next see, make sure that there is a check mark next to "Force Selected Settings on This Project". OK out of there.

Back in the Expert workspace, import your video from its hard drive save location using Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets from where you drag the video

to the Timeline (Video 1/Audio 1).

There will be an orange line over that Timeline content - has previewing implications. Press the Render button above the Timeline. Wait for the Timeline rendering to

complete. When it is complete, that orange line will turn to green. That is the program telling you that you are now seeing the best possible preview in the Edit area

monitor.

3. When you get to export, select Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30. We are going to customize that preset under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset so that the export will be 2704 x 1524 @ 59.94 progressive frames per second (AVCHD.mp4). The Advanced Button/Video Tab area should look like

the following

2.7K StepbyStep.JPG

There is a Match Source button at the top right of the Video Tab/Basic Video Settings, do not use that at this time.

I am not sure of its reliability on that yet. Later you can explore. I do not want to include that as a variable at this time.

Please let us know if the above works for you. We can talk about 4K and the XAVC-S choices for it in import and export next.

ATR

• 6. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                    whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

There is a Match Source button at the top right of the Video Tab/Basic Video Settings, do not use that at this time.

After a few years of working my way through versions 9, 10 and 11, I upgraded to 13 because my wife gave me a camera that shoots 4K.   With due respect to ATR's very detailed work, I take exception to his advice.  Note that I do not mean to be rude to ATR, only offer an alternative to his approach.  It may be that with the GoPro, the footage is so unique that my method fails. 

The simple habit pattern that is working for me is to start the project by putting a primary clip in the timeline.  PrE 13 will reset the projects settings to match, and that is easily verified if you want.  After working on the 4K video editing,  I output with any of the four XAVC-S presets and make sure I press the Match Source button.  It insures the dimensions and frame rate match the project and source, except for the video bitrate.   My camera's 4K is at about 100 Mbps, so I match it. 

It's working for me and it's simple.

Bill

• 7. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                      Sergio A Almeida Level 1

Thank you ATR and Bill for your attention.

I did as ATR said and it worked just fine. But I got confused with something. I tested with a file from my GoPro shot at 2.7 - 48 (not 60). And saved it with the new settings for 2.7k - 60fps. Then I saved the same file with 1080 - 60 settings. Both saved files are the same size...Why ? I imagined that the 2.7k would be much bigger.

Also, the footage is in 48fps, not 60. But after I've saved it with the new pre settings for 2.7k - 60 fps, it shows 60fps when I check it with Windows file explorer.

• 8. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                        Sergio A Almeida Level 1

When I press the Match Source button, somehow it doesn't match the original footage setting (2.7k-48fps), but instead shows 1920x1080 - 30fps.

Why is that ?

• 9. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                          whsprague Level 4

I don't own a GoPro.  But I've never seen "2.7k-48fps" as a setting in any camera.  My guess would be that 1929x1080p30 is a more likely result when having the camera record in a special GoPro camera setting.  Please know I am frequently wrong.  What I read is that "2.7k" has something to do with a "FOV" or wide angle Field of View.  

• 10. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

In prior versions of Premiere Elements, the Same As Source did not work. This Match Source in version 13 needs to be used with guarded optimism. You finding

When I press the Match Source button, somehow it doesn't match the original footage setting (2.7k-48fps), but instead shows 1920x1080 - 30fps.

Why is that ?

The 48 progressive frames per second is not an uncommon frame rate for GoPro video footage. If you do not know that already (which you do), you would just have

to look online

https://www.google.com/search?q=GoPro+48+frames+per+second&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

to find that is the case.

You had not mentioned previously about the 48 progressive frames per second. You mentioned instead

I just want to export my videos, exactly as I shot it, with my GoPro set to 2.7k-60fps. File extention is MP4.

There are no export frame rates for 48 frames per second. Please try what I suggested for the export at 30 and 60 progressive frames per second

and then let me know how they compared. It has been road tested for 2.7 K 60p and offers an excellent workflow that should work for you. I believed

that you verified that in a recent post in this thread.

The 4.7K workflow is equally appropriate with details and, if you have not gotten to that format yet, you should find that equally fine.

We will be watching for your progress. Sounding very good.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                              Sergio A Almeida Level 1

ATR, 

Any idea why both files of the same video, one saved in 1080p and the other in 2.7k, are the same size? 

• 12. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

The following is a re-write. After I wrote it, I felt I needed more information about your question.

Any idea why both files of the same video, one saved in 1080p and the other in 2.7k, are the same size?

Do you mean file size or do you mean resolution.?

Was the same file first exported with Frame Size 1920 Frame Height 1080 and put through the route

suggested in post 5 and the same file exported with Frame Size 2704 x 1524 through the route suggested in post 5?

ATR

• 13. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

My reply got cut short by my Internet issues.

If you took the same file through the workflow that I suggested in post 5, I would have expected the file size to be the same

for the 1920 x 1080 and 2704 x 1524...with bitrate and duration being the same for each.

I came across this file size calculator online, but did not get too much of a chance to experiment with it because of the ins and outs of my

Internet service.

http://www.hdslr-cinema.com/tools/filesize.php

I post that for informational purposes only.

The chat in the following thread looked interesting

How to calculate video size?

Please review and consider.

ATR

• 14. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                    Sergio A Almeida Level 1

ATR,

"If you took the same file through the workflow that I suggested in post 5, I would have expected the file size to be the same

for the 1920 x 1080 and 2704 x 1524...with bitrate and duration being the same for each"

Why would it be the same size ?

I took one file and save it as per your instructions for 2.7k-60fps. Saved the same file using the custom preset for 1080-60, and also using the regular presets of 1080-30 and 720-24. And got even more surprised with the file sizes.:

2.7-60 - 114 MB

1080-60 - 112 MB

1080-30 - 128 MB

720-24 - 27,7 MB

I expected that the 2.7k would be much bigger, and can't undestand why the 1080-30 is the biggest.

My problem is not with the file sizes, but as I expected the 2.7k to be the biggest, I wonder if the custom preset for saving it for 2.7k is really working .....

Sorry to bother you with my questions and again thank you very much for your time and attention

• 15. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

Thanks for the reply. It is never a bother. So, as I always say, if you need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Did you see my reply which is numbered 13.

Here is my thoughts for the whys....

In this particular situation, I would focus on the file size as controlled by bitrate x duration of the video file.

If we assume that duration is remaining the same for each of your cases, then look to the bitrate being used in each case.

Let us first compare

2.7-60 - 114 MB

1080-60 - 112 MB

1080-30 - 128 MB

with

720-24 - 27,7 MB

In the Advanced/Video settings, you will see that the first group of three is using Bitrate Target = 32 Mbps and Maximum = 40 Mbps.

In contrast, the 720-24 is using Target = 6 Mbps and Maximum = 10 Mbps. So, I would expect a smaller file size for the 720-24

than the others. And, that appears to be the case.

Still focusing on file size as determined from bitrate x file duration.....

Bitrate part

If all in the first group are using Target = 32 Mbps and Maximum = 40 Mbps, those small differences between file size could be attributed to the fact that the bitrate being applied across the video is variable not constant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_bitrate

Duration part

What is the program registering as the duration in each of these cases? Is it recognizing the same exact duration for all 3?

Please post the duration for each of the examples given above. Then we can use bitrate x duration to determine expected file size versus what you actually

obtained.

According to the concept of bitrate x duration, then the customized project preset is working. Please refer to my post numbered 13 for a restatement of this.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above. Do not hesitate to indicate where you might not be.

Thank you.

ATR

• 16. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

An Add On....

I am going to generate some numbers from my Premiere Elements 13 with regard to comparing those you presented in your post 14. Will add my results

to this post, including the file size, lowering or increasing the frame rate, bitrate, and quality.

Back soon.

ATR

• 17. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

Continuing response to your post 14....(also see my post 15)

I believe that the small file size differences that you are seeing between export p30 versus p60 is due to the overall bitrate established by the use of the variable nature of the bitrate setting (VBR, 1 pass).

If I take a 2.7 K (2704 x 1524 p60) import and export it with the exact settings shown in post 5 and only variation being the frame rate...then

when using the MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 preset under Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and Advanced Button/Video Tab

Variable Bitrate = Target 32 Mbps and Maximum 40 Mbps

Estimated File Size 113.84 MB and Duration 29.29 seconds

Actual File Size/Duration

Windows Explorer 118 MB and Duration 29 seconds

MediaInfo 119 MB and Duration 29.429 seconds

BUT, the important reading is that the Overall Bitrate = 33.8 Mbps

when using the MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 preset and customizing it for p59.94...Advanced Button/Video Tab

Variable Bitrate = Target 32 Mbps and Maximum 40 Mbps

Estimated File Size 113.84 MB and Duration 29.29 seconds (Same as above)

Actual File Size/Duration

Windows Explorer 112 MB and Duration 29 seconds

MediaInfo 113 MB and Duration 29.429 seconds

BUT, the important reading is that the Overall Bitrate = 32.2 Mbps

In this instance, the slightly lower file size might be attributed to the slightly lower overall bitrate.

For all intents and purposes, bitrate is the dominating factor in the type of matter currently in discussion. Frame size and frame rate are not part of this equation.

There are many online references about file size and these factors If you want, I will post some of them.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                            Sergio A Almeida Level 1

Thanks again for all your time and attention ATR.

All the best,

Sergio

Enviada em: sexta-feira, 23 de janeiro de 2015 15:46

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/7125504#7125504>

• 19. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

Thanks for the follow up.

Are you OK with the information on the file size and the export settings choices of bitrate?

You brought up some very interesting questions.

The discussion gives much to think about.

Please never hesitate to ask if you have further questions on this or any parts of your Premiere Elements

workflows.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 20. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                Sergio A Almeida Level 1

Yes ATR, got all the answers.....and even learnt something about bitrates, something that I didn't even new existed !!

• 21. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                  Sergio A Almeida Level 1

Hi ATR,

On a development on the last question, there is now another question that I hope you can help me with.

The reason I wanted to save files in 2.7k was to be able to use the Stabilizer tool with my very shaky Mountain Bike videos, and still end up with something close to 1080p quality.

But I just found out that in order to be able to use the Stabilizer tool I must have the project settings and the file properties the same (size wise). And I just couldn’t find where I can set my project settings to 2.7k. The best quality I can use is 1080p 60fps. So there is no point in shooting videos in 2.7k, if I can’t stabilize it, because there is no 2.7k option in the project settings.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks,

Sergio

• 22. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

I have an idea.

It is late were I am so I will probably finished this later in the morning.

Please confirm - you need a project preset for 2704 x 1524 @ 60 progressive frames per second?

I will tell you how to create such a project preset and place it within Premiere Elements 13/13.1 for use.

If this works, you should be able to continue using your GoPro 2.7K 60p video and stabilizing it in Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

ATR

• 23. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

I decided to stay up a bit later and try my idea.

It worked. The 2.7 K video is now being stabilized by the Shake Stabilizer in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 with my newly created 2.7 K project preset.

I will post all the details for creating and using this 2.7 K project preset later in the morning.

It is quick and easy.

ATR

• 24. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                        Sergio A Almeida Level 1

Hi ATR, 

That is exactly what I need/want.... A preset project for 2.7k and 60fps.

Thanks

• 25. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

The following is the link to the blog where I have just published the how to for the project preset which should enable the Shake Stabilizer to work with 2.7 K (2704 x 1524 60p) video when this project preset is used for the project.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: 2.7 K Video Stabilization With Shake Stabilizer

If your 2.7 K is not exactly 2704 x 1524, but rather some variation on that, then plug in your values in the change to sections of the how to.

This description is applicable to 60p. So, if your 2704 x 1524, uses 29.97, I will post the extra detail for taking care of that detail.

We will be watching for your results.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 26. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                            Sergio A Almeida Level 1

Thank you again ATR. Very busy week, but I’ll try as soon as possible and let you know.

Sergio

Enviada em: quarta-feira, 25 de fevereiro de 2015 13:00

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/7229036#7229036>

• 27. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                              Sergio A Almeida Level 1

ATR,

I guess I'm doing something very stupid ....but I couldn't copy the edited file back to the same folder. When I try, I get a message saying I have no permission to save the file there. And when I save it to any other folder , it saves as a .txt file.....What am I doing wrong ? 

• 28. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

Thanks for the update.

In the creation of the project preset, please see STEP 3

STEP 3

When all of the changes are made the Notepad document created for AVCHD 1524p60, the Notepad document is saved (File Menu/Save) and placed in the AVCHD Folder with the rest of the sqpreset files of its class. See STEP 1 for path to the AVCHD Folder involved in this particular example.

After you have edited the Notepad document, go specifically to File Menu/Save. Do not use File Menu/Save As.

After you hit File Menu/Save, then click on the close button X (or File Menu/Exit).

I suspect that you are using the File Menu/Save As which is sending you to a txt file.

We will be watching for the outcome.

I will put an add on in the blog post to alert others to this point.

Thank you.

ATR

• 29. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                                  Sergio A Almeida Level 1

What about the message that I can’t save it to that specific folder ?

Enviada em: sábado, 21 de março de 2015 12:17

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/7324127#7324127>

• 30. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                                    Sergio A Almeida Level 1

done it !

Now I just have to try the stabilization tool on a new file.

Can I change the default Project pre setting ? It Always go back to 1080 30i

• 31. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sergio

Thanks for the replies. Great job.

Before you Add Media, every time you open a new project, for 2.7K or other, the program is going open and default to NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 (NTSC set up) or PAL AVCHD HD 1080i25 (PAL set up).

But, after you import and drag your 2.7K video to the Timeline for the first time, the program should set the project preset to the 2.7K project preset that you created.

(If not, then you set the project preset manually before importing the 2.7K video into the project.)

Please give this a try and let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 32. Re: How can I export 2.7k video with Elements 13?
                                                                        Sergio A Almeida Level 1

Tried it, but at first it didn't work. Then I realized that the GoPro save the files as 2704 x 1520, not 1524....Changed the preset file, etc., etc., and it worked !

Thanks