1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 21, 2015 5:46 PM by Peferling

How can I increase render speeds on my HP z820?

emopaul2

Hello,

I work in a mac-based production studio working on high-profile commercials and videos. We commonly work with R3D and 5K footage, and have recently acquired two HP z820 workstations.

Knowing PCs and their customization options, I am confident these two machines can be set up to speed through complex renders more quickly than the studio iMacs (eary 2014, 32gb RAM), but currently they are rendering about 4x more slowly.

These computers both have 32gb RAM, Nvidia Quadro 5000 video cards, and HPZTurbo Solid State Drives. It currently takes about 12 minutes to render out a 4.5 minute 5K sequence with green screen and multiple effects.

Does anyone know what settings I may enable/disable in regards to the video card to speed up these times? Does anyone else have experience with an HPZTurbo drive?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How can I increase render speeds on my HP z820?
          Peferling Level 4

Without knowing the layout of your system (I use Dell Precisions), I can only suggest some universal things that I do to speed things up.

Install only applications relevant to your editing/work.  Limit the slow services of surfing, games and office applications to another pc.

Check is to see if your drives are on the fastest buss and not sharing resources with slower devices.  If the drives are managed by PCI cards, then make sure the PCI card is in the fastest slot with it's own resources.

If you are using dedicated cards from AJA or blackmagic, they should have specs or suggestions on their sites as to the best configuration for popular workstations.

Avoid filling raids/drives past the 50% mark.  That is, always factor twice the space you actually need.

Make sure you have adequate cooling and power.

Disable, unplug any usb drives while editing/rendering.  I only connect them when copying/moving files, then pull before going back to edits.

I have two raids, one for system (using the onboard SAS), the other via an LSI Megaraid for media, and third single disk for scratch, all on their own buss, (I had two optical drives a blueray and a dvd, and I pulled the one that was sharing bandwidth with the system).

By now you should see that you need to be a traffic cop of sorts and put the fast cars onto the passing lane.

I would also visit the Red forum for advice, you can't be alone in this.