13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2015 4:03 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?

dongagne51 Level 1

I have a 38 minute project comprised mostly of HD clips (.m2ts, .MP4 and a few .MPG). I try to render the project to Blu-Ray with Premiere Elements 12, it takes approximately an hour to reach 98% with message "Encoding Media", then switches to "Compiling Media" and freezes there (I let it go for 6 hours with no end in sight). Task Manager shows that it is not using any CPU cycles anymore, while it was using up to 96% of the CPU before it reached that point. I've been able to render this project to a DVD, to Folders on my HDD and to AVCHD successfully on a DVD.

For a test, I tried a 1 minute project with the same results. It wasn't until I removed the disc menu that I was able to burn a Blu-Ray disc. I am running project on a PC with Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, an AMD Athlon II x4 635 Processor, 2900 Mhz, 4 cores, 4 logical processors with 4 GB of RAM. I have found a number of references to the 98% completion but no real solutions. Any assistance would be appreciated as I would like to produce a high definition disc with menus...

• 1. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

dongagne51

What version of Premiere Elements are you using on Windows 7 64 bit?

Generally and specific to the Blu-ray projects, I would suggest that you consider going to at least 8 GB installed RAM instead of the 4 GB that you now have. Does your computer motherboard support that?

What specific disc menu are you using, how many menu markers? Have you gone back to the disc menu customization area and checked the Timeline menu marker spacing as well as possible button overlaps. Have you put stop markers in the Timeline? For what you are doing, how many main menu pages and how many scene menu pages do you end up with?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
            jerry9146 Level 1

I have Windows 7 on a Dell with the i7 processor with 16gBytes of RAM.  I cannot burn a Blu-Ray disc with P.E 13.  It says "Media Not Present" when I try and create a disc.  The only way I have been able to burn an HD disc is to save the project to "Computer" as a  either an M2T or MP4 file with the resolution of your choice.  I created an M2t H264 1920X1080i 30 file.  I then copied this file (dragged) it to either my D or E drive in Windows Explorer; both are Blu-Ray burners.  Afterwards I clicked on the BD-R image in the bottom left corner of the Explorer window and it burned an M2TS file (AVCHD format) to my Blu-Ray disc.  This will play on my computer or on my stand-alone Blu-Ray player, as it will handle formats other than just Blu-Ray discs.  This is the only workaround that I can use.  P,E.13 cannot create useful ISO files that are larger than about 1.1 GB.

• 3. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hi Juergen

Thanks for comments on your issue, discoveries, and workaround for Premiere Elements 13 burn to Blu-ray options. I commend you for an excellent summary of

what you have been through and your workaround and your successes.

But dongagne51's problem set has many different angles to it than yours. Some examples....

The frustrating "Media Not Present" is not part of this.

The system resources for this Blu-ray project appear to be less than yours.

And, failure or success seems pointed at with and without disc menus.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
                dongagne51 Level 1

ATR and jerry9146, thanks for the replies. I am using version 12 of Premiere and, when I attempt to update, it tells me that I have the latest version. I am fairly new to Premiere although I have used other video software before. My motherboard supports up to 16 GB (4 slots) so I could try increasing the memory which would probably speed up the rendering process. I'm not so sure that not having enough memory would prevent it from completing the rendering process but who knows. Task Manager shows CPU usage in the high 90% and shows physical memory in the mid 50% during the rendering process...

My software always finds the media and lets me know if I have the wrong disc in (I had inadvertently inserted a DVD instead). I have tried both H.264 1440x1080i NTSC Dolby and H.264 1920x1080i NTSC Dolby. It does not have a choice for 1080p full HD.

I always cancel out of the Windows popup asking "How do you want to use this disc?" as I assume that Premiere will let the system know. Is that correct?

The movie menu that I chose for this project is a fairly simple one, Faux Widescreen from the General category. It contains 1 main menu and 3 scene menu pages containing a total of 17 scene markers which I inserted myself with Add Marker.

I had already taken out the Stop marker as I had read that it doesn't work for Blu-Ray anyways (and thought that that might have been the culprit). Spacing is good and there is no button overlap.

jerry9146, I have successfully burned an AVCHD file to a DVD thru Premiere and the quality is pretty good. Does the workaround that you suggest produce a Blu-Ray quality file?

• 5. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

dongagnes51

Thanks for following up on the troubleshooting suggestions. Appreciated.

If you have not already I would try another disc menu theme and determine if it makes a difference in the outcome, even if you do not intend to use the alternative as

a permanent fix. If the problem persists with the 2nd disc menu, then right click the desktop icon for the program, select and apply Run As Administrator, and then proceed to apply the disc menu.

If within the budget, consider at least a total of 8 GB installed RAM. If you can, 16 GB would be even better. My Windows 7 64 bit computer works well with DVD, AVCHD, and Blu-ray with 8 GB installed RAM.

I do not bother with those "How do you want to use this disc" messages. And, when it comes to Blu-ray burn to, I make sure not to have a check mark next to Fit Contents to Available Space if the Space Required is less than 23 GB.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-blu-ray-burn-dialog-fit-content-to.html

Please explore the above and then we will think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
                    jerry9146 Level 1

Thank you.  I didn’t want to comment on issues I don’t have experience working on.

• 7. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
                      jerry9146 Level 1

I am using a Del XPS 8100 with the i& quad dual processors with Windows 7 Home Professional.  I had 4 GB of RAM and very slow operation.  I upgraded to 16 GB and it improved performance considerably.  I think the program will use all available memory when needed.  I have seen it using over 95% of the 16 GB.  If you can do it I strongly recommend going to 6 GB.  Because I have numerous travel videos I also used the opportunity to upgrade the HHD from 750GB to 2 TB.  Should keep me set for the next few years.

I believe that the 1920X1080i is comparable to Blu-Ray.  I still have the fine detail from the original photos and video that were originally shot in 1920X1080 format.  The files are also of the approximate correct size.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards, Juergen

• 8. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Juergen

Referring to you post numbered 6....

You have a keen eye for detail with the spirit of exploration and experimentation with difficult Premiere Elements areas.

All your contributions are valued and appreciated.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
                          dongagne51 Level 1

Thanks to all for the many suggestions. I will buy some more memory today and install it. I will then try to render my project (with the menus) to see if that helps. If necessary, I will try changing the menus to see if that yields better results.

I will report back in a day or 2 with my results...

• 10. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

dongagnes51

Sounds good.

We will be watching for your results whenever your schedule permits.

Best wishes. Hope this works for you.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
                              jerry9146 Level 1

Thank you very much!  Juergen

• 12. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
                                dongagne51 Level 1

Success. Doubling the memory to 8GB did the job. I was able to burn a Blu-Ray with disc menu and beautiful results (the video is of high quality). I guess that the "compiling media" step requires a significant amount of memory for Blu-Ray.

Surprisingly, it did not speed the process of rendering but it should allow me to burn larger projects in the future.

Thanks to all who contributed with excellent suggestions...

• 13. Re: How do I burn a Blu-Ray disc with menus?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

dongagnes51

We are so very pleased with your great news of success with your Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.Great job

of deciding to go with the 8 GB installed RAM.

Thank you for letting us know the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR