4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2015 12:28 AM by elpolly

After effects takes too long to render, broadcasting time is soon, so I'm in a lot of trouble!!! :(

elpolly Level 1

Hello!

I started to render a pretty easy animation 13 days ago.

The animation is 4.30 minutes long, and there's no 3d involved. Only illustrations from Illustrator and some textures.

After these 13  days of rendering, and finishing 4 minutes, it felt like crashing. So it did.

This animation is for Belgian television (broadcasting time is soon), along with 20 more, so I am in deep deep trouble.

I use my mac pro, from a seagate hard drive.

> codec apple prores hq (this is what the company wants)

Could really use help to solve this problem!!

Thanks a lot

Ellen

• 1. Re: After effects takes too long to render, broadcasting time is soon, so I'm in a lot of trouble!!! :(
          deimosphobos Level 2

Something is terribly wrong here. You are saying a 4 and a half minute composition is taking 13 days to render.

How old is your system? Is the drive connected via USB 2.0?

What are the system specifications?

Render speed can be slow but I have never seen much over 5X the length of the comp.

• 2. Re: After effects takes too long to render, broadcasting time is soon, so I'm in a lot of trouble!!! :(
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We can't know what may be wrong without details but I can give you some advice. If the render will playback at all then continue the render from the place it crashed. If it will not playback, then, before you do anything else tell us about your project in detail. Then, next time you render, use the Render Cue to output an image sequence instead of rendering a video. Then, when you're done, bring the image sequence into Premiere Pro and replace the audio file, and render for delivery. You should be able add an audio file to an image sequence and render to ProRez in just a few minutes.

• 3. Re: After effects takes too long to render, broadcasting time is soon, so I'm in a lot of trouble!!! :(
              simon ricci Level 1

Hi!

I agree, something is very wrong with your scene or setup. I would recommend the following actions:

1. Make a RAM preview in After Effects, in full resolution. If you have layers with frame blending or motion blur, make sure to enable the frame blending and motion blur boxes in the top of the timeline so that it shows up in the preview. Also, check the Preview settings window and make sure that no frames are skipped and that it renders in full resolution.

If the RAM preview is rendered as slowly as your final render, then the problem is inside of after effects or with your source files. If the RAM preview is a lot faster than the rendering, the problem is likely in the codec or Adobe Media Encoder (if you render through AMC that is).

2A: IF your RAM preview is extremely slow, try hiding the layers one by one and making more RAM previews to locate problematic source files.

2B: If the RAM preview worked fine, try to render into a different, lossless format – like an uncompressed quicktime or avi file or a quicktime animation with max quality – directly from after effects (In the top menu: Composition/Add to render queue, where you'll likely find some lossless preset). Make sure you have A LOT of free hard drive space before rendering. If this rendering works fine you are left with a lossless file that can be compressed to the apple prores hq-format in any compatible software. For example, you can try opening the file in Premiere and render the Prores from there. With a google search you will probably find lots of ways to render Apple Prores files.

You could also check the resolution of both your main composition and your pre-comps. Avoid using unnecessarily high resolutions, it will only slow things down.

Restarting your computer to clear RAM memory and close eventual bugging processes could also be a good idea.

Good luck!

/Simon

• 4. Re: After effects takes too long to render, broadcasting time is soon, so I'm in a lot of trouble!!! :(
                elpolly Level 1

Hello!

Thank you all for the reply and the great tips

I do render from a harddrive with USB 2,  that an issue?

After rendering for 2 weeks and crashing, the playback was fine, there was no problem.

But, when I just rendered the last 30 seconds, after it crashed, it only took one hour,

So the shorter part I had to render, the faster it went, and not at all in proportion with the whole 4 and a half minutes.

If you know what I mean?

I don't use media encoder, but this may be better?

I always render a quicktime format from after effects render que with 'prores HQ' codec.

But now I'll try your great tips!

Thank you !!