4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 8:27 AM by Rick Gerard

Problems rendering Every-line Composer texts with Adobe Media Encoder

simon ricci

I find the text paragraph setting "Adobe Every-line Composer" a huge time saver when dealing with large amounts of text in after effects. I rarely have to do any manual tracking or line breaks to make it look good, as opposed to working with the standard Single-line Composer.

The problem is that when I render through Adobe Media Encoder (which I'm forced to do since they removed H264-mp4 support from AE:s internal renderer) the text is treated like single-line composed text. So the final render doesn't look like my AE project.

I've found two solutions to this problem:

1. Render a lossless video file in the AE renderer and then compress it with Media Encoder. This takes more time and HDD space, and it doesn't allow me to continue working in AE while rendering.

2. Only use Single-line composed text and make all adjustments manually, the old school way. This would not be a problem if I had not already used, and fallen in love with, the Every-line option.

Is there anyone that can think of a third, and preferably better, solution?

I use the CC 2014 versions of AE and AMC.

• 1. Re: Problems rendering Every-line Composer texts with Adobe Media Encoder
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've never seen this so tell us about hour project in detail. From what I understand you are creating a text area in AE so text automatically wraps then adding text animators, then when you render the text animators don't work if you render to H.264. Please describe in detail because the codec shouldn't have anything to do with whether text animates.

• 2. Re: Problems rendering Every-line Composer texts with Adobe Media Encoder
            simon ricci Level 1

No, the text doesn't animate at all. It's just a normal static text box. The text part is extremely simple. All animations are done in other layers and pre-comps, combined with pre-rendered 3D graphics from Cinema 4D, rendered as image sequences. My problem is a bug, plain and simple. Or perhaps you could call it a "lack of feature support" or an "incompatibility between AE and Adobe Media Encoder".

My problem appears only when my AE project has text boxes with the "Every-line Composer" option enabled (press the menu button in the Paragraph window to find it), AND the project is rendered through Adobe Media Encoder, no matter which output format I use. I have no problems what so ever inside of after effects, or when rendering Single-line Composer text in AMC.

So, the problem is that Media Encoder doesn't recognize Every-line composed text. Instead it changes it to Single-line composed text, messing up text tracking and line breaks.

To clarify: the Adobe Every-line Composer is analyzing the entire text box instead of only the current line. That way it can automatically change the tracking of individual lines to better distribute the line breaks and build a better whole, avoiding those stray words on the last line for example. Extremely handy, if you could only render it.

I never wrote anything about animating text or that the codec is related to the text problems in any way. AMC is the problem. The codec is only a secondary problem since its the lack of mp4 H264 support that forces me to use Media Encoder in the first place, instead of using the AE render queue as I did in previous versions of AE. I like many things about rendering through AMC, like being able to continue working in AE while rendering, but there are still way too many glitches. And of course, there's the inability to render flv-files in AMC CC 2014, and Adobe's inability to provide a solution other than "Use an older version of AMC". Flv is their own damn format for christ's sake.

Well, enough rambling.

To put it simple:

Has anyone had a problem with "Every-line Composer" in combination with Adobe Media Encoder? Did you find a solution other than the two less-than-perfect ones in my first message?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Problems rendering Every-line Composer texts with Adobe Media Encoder
              simon ricci Level 1

And Rick, please forgive me if I sounded snotty or ungrateful. That was not my intention, but as I read through my own text I realized how it could be interpreted that way. Thanks for your response!

• 4. Re: Problems rendering Every-line Composer texts with Adobe Media Encoder
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks like you've found a bug that has never bitten me before and has nothing to do with h.264 compression. Here's your text rendering to a tiff.

I've filed a bug report and suggest you do the same.

bug.jpg