2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 8:42 AM by meta-lingo

Character after z?  What will force something to the end of alphabetical sort?

meta-lingo Level 1

I often use _ or * in front of comp or folder names when I want them to float to the top of the project window, but what character, if any, will force something to the bottom (other than "z")?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Character after z?  What will force something to the end of alphabetical sort?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects sorts the same way your finder or explorer window does. They both follow the rules of alphabetizing. Footage named za will be before zb and so on. z will be before zz and before zzz. Does that answer your question. You can also put numbers before letters or after. If you are trying to figure out the sorting order of special characters like $ and @ I can't help you out because I don't know. I use standard naming conventions to sort my assets and the plan starts on the set when we start organizing the files.

• 2. Re: Character after z?  What will force something to the end of alphabetical sort?
            meta-lingo Level 1

Thanks Rick, that's what I thought.  I was hoping there was some unicode symbol after z that was not a letter so it wouldn't look as much like part of the name.  I usually use "z_" but I find it visually annoying.  My only reason for doing this is because I often want things grouped a certain way for convenient access in the project window. The other slightly less annoying approach is to make a folder called "z" and put things in it.  Weird habit?  Anyway, thanks for confirming!