9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 3:24 PM by richardp36958026

Help ?

richardp36958026

Is there really NO LONGER any way to Phone anyone at Adobe for Technical Support for Lightroom? Really? This is true?

• 1. Re: Help ?
          dj_paige Level 9

It depends ... if you own the Creative Cloud version of Lightroom, you should be able to phone tech support. If not, you need to use the Live Chat or ask your questions here.

• 2. Re: Help ?
            richardp36958026 Level 1

ty… don't have the Cloud.. just Lightroom 5.7…

I am moving locations and need to backup my LR5 Catalog… despite multiple attempts LR keeps refusing to complete the BU even after 5 or 6 hours of trying…

my guess is because of available memory on my computer although i still have 120 GB avail..  My question is do I need the Catalogues from prior versions of LR that I have on my computer: LR3 (42 GB) and  LR 4 (50 GB) . If I remove them from my computer will I loose the adjustments I made to all the images worked on in the prior versions of LR ?

Suggestions?

• 3. Re: Help ?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Those older catalogs are only for the older versions of Lightroom. They do not contain your images. They are only used by the older Lightroom programs. If you are not using those programs anymore than you can safely and confidently delete those catalogs because they are simply taking up space on your hard drive.

• 4. Re: Help ?
                dj_paige Level 9

Those older catalogs are only for the older versions of Lightroom. They do not contain your images. They are only used by the older Lightroom programs. If you are not using those programs anymore than you can safely and confidently delete those catalogs because they are simply taking up space on your hard drive.

That assumes that the catalogs were upgraded to newer versions when the new versions were available. If the photos in those old catalogs are not part of the newer catalogs, then I would certainly advise keeping the older catalogs.

There are many people who have had issues with backups not completing. I don't know what the solution is, I don't read those threads, but a search of this forum is the proper way to proceed.

• 5. Re: Help ?
                  richardp36958026 Level 1

ty jim and dj.

and if the catalogs were not updated?. I haven't updated the images that I worked on in the older versions of LR because I believe there is a slightly different look to the processing I have applied before if I update the images to LR5. So you know if that is true? and how would I update the images from the prior catalogues to LR 5 ?

thx once more..

• 6. Re: Help ?
                    dj_paige Level 9

Catalogs updated does not mean that the images were changed in any way, I am not talking about updating the images. It means that you had a Lightroom 4 catalog (for example), and you let Lightroom 5 update it -- so that it now conforms to Lightroom 5 database criteria and can be used in LR 5. This should happen the first time you open LR 5, it will ask if you want to upgrade your LR 4 catalog, some people don't even remember that it happened.

Some people (and I don't recommend this) create a brand new Lightroom 5 catalog and the photos in their LR 4 catalog are not present at all in the LR 5 catalog. If that's what you did, you do not want to get rid of the earlier catalogs.

• 7. Re: Help ?
                      richardp36958026 Level 1

I can not remember if when I first installed LR5 if it asked me to updgade my LR3/LR4 catalogs.. is there a way to manually upgrade to make sure all is upgraded to LR5 before I remove the prior version catalogues?

• 8. Re: Help ?
                        dj_paige Level 9

Are the photos imported into your LR4 catalog also present in your LR 5 catalog? If that's the case, you're able to delete the older catalogs. If not, then you shouldn't delete the older catalogs.

• 9. Re: Help ?
                          richardp36958026 Level 1

ty dj for you help today.. much appreciated… thx