7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 10:47 AM by jdecker1978

Can I use corrupt catalog?

jdecker1978 Level 1

Hey everyone. So I really need some help here.

Recently I started using Dropbox to sync my Lightroom catalog between my iMac where I do 95% of my work, and my Macbook Pro. I recently returned from a trip with more than 1,000 new photos. I've been editing for several days. Today I opened Lightroom on my iMac and noticed all of my work I've done over the past two days was gone. Digging a little I discovered I believe somehow I created a conflicted catalog. Although I know my laptop was closed while I was editing, I guess Lightroom must have been opened, and it created a conflicted catalog. I opened the conflicted catalog and all my work is there.

Anyways, regardless of how it happened, I am wondering if anyone sees a problem with just using the conflicted catalog for my new catalog, so I don't need to somehow try and import all the edits into my old catalog. I will keep the old one just in case.

Another question. If I do keep the conflicted catalog for my main one-do I need to redo all my smart previews? The conflicted catalog has no smart previews. The upload to dropbox can take a lot of time, so Im wondering if I can point my catalog to my original smart preview file.

Im really frustrated here. Any tips anyone can offer to straighten this mess out would really be appreciated. Ill try my best to never let it happen again.

• 1. Re: Can I use corrupt catalog?
          dj_paige Level 9

A conflicted catalog (or a conflicted file in general) is a Dropbox issue. I'm not sure I can explain it, maybe someone else can jump in with an explanation. It is not the same thing as a "corrupt" catalog, which I don't think you have.

Why don't you just open each catalog in Lightroom, the conflicted one and the "un-conflicted" one and see what is in them and decide what you need and what you don't need.

• 2. Re: Can I use corrupt catalog?
            jdecker1978 Level 1

Thanks for the prompt reply-

I have opened each catalog. Without going through 20,000 images I'm hoping someone that knows about the conflicted catalogs can tell me this-

Does the conflicted catalog contain everything the original(un-conflicted) does (as long as I have not done any work in the original since this started)? All of my recent work from my trip is in the conflicted. Thats why I am hoping to just start using that for everything. I assume I would need to create all new previews seeing as the conflicted preview file is much smaller than the original.

I did not import any photos in this mess. I imported everything days before I screwed up.

• 3. Re: Can I use corrupt catalog?
              jdecker1978 Level 1

My main thing is if I can basically replace the conflicted catalog with the new one (id rather not bounce back and forth, I use one catalog for all my photos) Id rather create all new previews and repload them than try and transfer hundreds of edits to my old catalog.

• 4. Re: Can I use corrupt catalog?
                dj_paige Level 9

So start using the conflicted catalog as your working catalog

Save the other one somewhere for "just in case".

Id rather create all new previews and repload them than try and transfer hundreds of edits to my old catalog.

Not sure what the concern is here, this is a simple task.

• 5. Re: Can I use corrupt catalog?
                  jdecker1978 Level 1

I understand its simple to do. I am wondering if this is the best approach. I mentioned earlier Im not sure if there is a way to point LR to my old previews file since the previews are all there, or if its simpler to simply create new previews with this catalog and repload them all to dropbox.

• 6. Re: Can I use corrupt catalog?
                    dj_paige Level 9

In my mind, the time to create/upload previews is not the concern. The concern is that different catalogs (your conflicted catalog versus the un-conflicted one) cannot use the same previews, and you cannot move the previews from one to the other. Thus you MUST let Lightroom create/manage/use the previews for each catalog. No other way. However long it takes for DropBox to upload it, you must allow that time, because there is no other way.

• 7. Re: Can I use corrupt catalog?
                      jdecker1978 Level 1

Thanks. That was my assumption I was just hoping for some confirmation. I appreciate the help. Im going to proceed with this method. I have 1tb of space on Dropbox, so I will just leave the original there and start using the conflicted for my working catalog.

Thanks again for your help.