29 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 11:01 AM by norman.sanders

picture edge blurring

Budspwr Level 1

I have for years tried to blur (make edges fussy) the outer edges of a picture.  Documentation doesn't seem to help.  I have also tried put a fussy ring around a picture.  Documentation doesn't seem to be available.

Can anyone make a suggestion?

• 1. Re: picture edge blurring
          norman.sanders Most Valuable Participant

vig.jpg

There are several ways to create a vignetted image using Photoshop. One which will allow you to view and adjust the degree of edge fade visually as you work is this: (It takes longer to describe than to do.)

1. Open the file containing the image you want to vignette. In the Toolbox, set the foreground color to black, and the background color to white by striking the D key.

2. In the Layers panel, drag the Background layer lock into the trash. This will convert the Background to an unlocked, editable layer: Layer 0.

3. Cmd click on the Create New Layer symbol at the bottom of the layers panel next to the Trash symbol. It creates Layer 1 beneath Layer 0. To fill Layer 1 with white choose Edit > Fill and in the Contents field select Background Color or White.

Or:

Use a key shortcut: Since the Background Color was set to white in Step 1, Cmd+Delete to fill Layer 1 with White. 

4. Click on Layer 0, which contains your image. Then select the Elliptical Marquee tool, and in the Options bar, set Feather to 0.  Select part of the image. To reposition the selection, click in its center and drag it. Note: If, after creating the selection, you want to alter its dimensions, choose Select > Transform Selection, and make the adjustment. Then either click on the Commit checkmark in the upper right of the Options bar, or use the Return key to complete the change.)

5. Still in Layer 0, click on the Add Layer Mask symbol at the bottom of the Layers panel. It is the second symbol from the left. This will produce a hard-edged oval containing the selected portion of the image.

6. CS5: With the mask in the Layers panel highlighted, go to Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur, adjust the slider to produce the degree of vignette you prefer, and click OK.

CS6: Choose the Properties panel, move the Feather slider to produce the degree of vignette you prefer and click OK. If the Properties panel does not currently appear, choose Window from the Menu bar and click on Properties from the drop-down menu.

At this point you may drag Layer 1 (the image with its linked mask) over another

Image. Simply click on Layer 1 and drag it to the new image. Then use the Move tool to place it with greater precision.  You may also resize the vignetted image by choosing Edit > Transform > Scale. When scaling, hold down the Shift key to maintain the current proportion. Then either click on the Commit checkmark in the upper right of the Options bar, or use the Return key to complete the change.

• 2. Re: picture edge blurring
            Budspwr Level 1

I don't seem to find a toolbox.  I am using a MacBook Pro with 10.10.1 and Photoshop CS6.  I will try to work with what you suggest in some way.

• 3. Re: picture edge blurring

These are tools... collectively, the tool box. The arrows point to the Foreground and Background colors

tool copy.jpg

• 4. Re: picture edge blurring
                Budspwr Level 1

Misunderstood.  Been working other a drawing apps as I lack working knowledge of Photoshop.

The only lock I see is on the photo I wish to fuss the edges on.  I presume I am to make two more layers, relabel them, change their color.

• 5. Re: picture edge blurring

No. As instructed in Step 2.. choose the Background layer, then click on its lock which is to the right of the word Background and drag it to the Trash, which is the rightmost symbol at the bottom of the Layers panel..

• 6. Re: picture edge blurring
                    Budspwr Level 1

I tried that so this tells me the picture is not editable, correct?

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

I guess the next step is to find a way to get the picture from a different source and do the step you suggest if the picture can be edited.

• 7. Re: picture edge blurring
                      Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

When the lock is on there you can't edit it fully. To get rid of the lock, so it's editable, you need to drag the lock to the trash icon, or double click on the lock.

• 8. Re: picture edge blurring

Be sure you are clicking directly on the lock before your drag to the Trash.

If, for some unknown reason you cannot trash the lock, hit Cmd+J to make a dupe layer. Then change the name of the dupe layer to Layer 0 and proceed.

• 9. Re: picture edge blurring
                          Budspwr Level 1

Double clicking the lock came up a modification dialog box and closing that box, the lock disappeared..  will continue with remainder of initial suggestion to fuss picture edges.

Thanks loads so far to both of you: Normfb & Root.

• 10. Re: picture edge blurring

One quick question.. Are you looking to feather the edge as Norm described or actually blur it? If the latter, you can make a duplicate layer and add Gaussian blur then mask the layer as Norm was saying. It might look something similar to this:

Blur edge.jpg

Obviously, you may not want it circular, but you can make it whatever shape you would like.

Benjamin

• 11. Re: picture edge blurring
                              Budspwr Level 1

No, I am looking to fuzzy the very edges of a photo not the photo itself.  The idea is to a presentation photo with the photo still clear.  A sort of fadeaway scene.

• 12. Re: picture edge blurring
                                Budspwr Level 1

Not able to find the Elliptical Marquee tool.  The icon are so small, one needs a magnifying glass to see them.  Can you direct me?

• 13. Re: picture edge blurring

tool.jpg

It is nested with the Rectangular Marquee .

• 14. Re: picture edge blurring

One thing more: If the Tools are so small, post a request for help on this Forum and include: Your Compute model, Exact Operating System, Exact version of Photoshop. You will get valuable advice to resolve the problem.

• 15. Re: picture edge blurring
                                      Budspwr Level 1

Will give a try.  Over 80 with eyes and ears going but the rest stay around ;-)

• 16. Re: picture edge blurring

Cheer up, kid. I'm 87, a recently retired Prof.

• 17. Re: picture edge blurring
                                          Budspwr Level 1

Yes,it is really good to have talked with you.  I'm 81 plus and a retired space jockey (engineer) out west.

Another question please: When attempting to select either oval or rectangle I get "Could not use the rectangle tool because the target channel is hidden".  Is there anyway around this?

• 18. Re: picture edge blurring

That is very odd. Aside from the image shown hereL

Does your Channels panel look like this? It should.

chann.jpg

and does your Layers panel look like this? It should

lay.jpg

• 19. Re: picture edge blurring
                                              Budspwr Level 1

Yes it does.

• 20. Re: picture edge blurring
                                                Budspwr Level 1

I just got a message to update my CS6 so I should be getting back to this tomorrow.

I really do thank you for your help Pop ;-)))

• 21. Re: Re: picture edge blurring
                                                  Budspwr Level 1

Unable to perform step 4.  I selected rounded rectangle which seems to fit the picture but am unable to find anything regarding feathering.  I presume the option bar is the tools on the top.   I keep thinking Opacity is feathering.  When the curser is dragged over the photo the color presently is red but expect that could be changed.  I don't seem to have anything that could be repositioned or modified in size.

What you are showing me in your example is what I'm looking for but rectangular since I have a grand kids family picture.

For some reason, I am unable to locate a Photoshop manual.

• 22. Re: picture edge blurring

Double click on the mask icon. A dialogue will appear giving sliders for density and feather..

Edit: You can also apply Gaussian blur to that mask, making it feather. Note that the mask thumbnail must be selected before adding blur.

Benjamin

• 23. Re: picture edge blurring
                                                      Budspwr Level 1

Not sure what you're saying.  Masking would seem to deal with layers.  I'm talking about all the tools and their associated text.

• 24. Re: picture edge blurring
                                                        Budspwr Level 1

Oops. Wrong comment for wrong community.

• 25. Re: picture edge blurring

At the bottom left of your comments there is an option (Actions) where you can edit or delete your comment if the need be.

Did you get the mask feathered?

Benjamin

• 26. Re: picture edge blurring
                                                            Budspwr Level 1

I don't seem to have a mask yet.  This would be on the right side of the photo layer 0, correct?

• 27. Re: picture edge blurring

Yes, the mask will be on the layer, just right of the main thumbnail.. I will make a quick video.

Benjamin

• 28. Re: picture edge blurring

Okay, watch this video:

Check back if you have any other questions, and Norm or I will get back to you.

Benjamin

• 29. Re: picture edge blurring

I have been out today and just got back. Let's go over it again:

At Step 3. The result is this:

3.jpg

At Step 4: You create a marching ants selection. Since you prefer a rectangle use the Rectangle Marquee tool. Do not use the Shape tool that is located further down in the list of tools. Note Feather setting. Then draw the rectangle. This is how things look:

4.jpg

At Step 5: Notice the mask which was made by clicking the symbol to the right of the fx at the bottom of the Layers panel. Follow the instructions for CS6 and the use of the Properties panel,

6.jpg

By moving the Feather slider in Properties, you control the vignette.

Then, flatten the image and save it.