1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 3:06 PM by dj_paige

Adobe Lightroom 5

kimberlyn77155395

Hi. I am interested in purchasing the Adobe Lightroom 5 software for my son.  I am confused about the options available. I see that you can download a photography package from Adobe for a monthly fee.  I also see that you can purchase the software from Amazon for what appears to be a one time flat fee.  What is the difference between the two?

In addition, I wanted to take advantage of the student subscription for my son.  He is a freshman in high school and is taking photography as an elective.  The information says it is best to use an .edu address to take advantage of the student discount for the Lightroom software. He does not have an .edu address.  Can we still get the student discount?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Adobe Lightroom 5
          dj_paige Level 9

Right now, you can get Lightroom 6, so I think if you are going to purchase something, you'd want Lightroom 6.

It comes in either the Creative Cloud (CC) version (subscription for 9.99 US Dollars a month) or the standalone version for $149 as a one-time purchase, either from Adobe or Amazon. The difference is that the CC version also has Lightroom Mobile (please read up on this on the Internet) and automatic updates as long as you pay the monthly fee. And yes, you can probably get either at a Student discount, but I don't know the details.

Regardless of this choice, may I suggest that you get your son the 30-day free trial and let him work with that for 30 days to see if it is something he might like. https://creative.adobe.com/products/download/lightroom