18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2016 8:19 PM by kwalsh725

Major File Corruption Problem...

Brad_Trent Level 1

In the past week I suddenly have a file corruption problem that is destroying everything I'm working on. It first showed up when I converted a 16 bit file to 8 bit, but it now is happening if I add a layer and apply the High Pass filter, or add some Shadow & Highlight detail, then the layers begun to almost 'dissolve' and become more transparent…or they take on a block-like transparency. I'm attaching a couple of shots that show the kind of thing that is happening...

This was a fairly simple image with 5 separate image layers. When I added a layer and applied the High Pass, it corrupted the background layer to give me this...

corrupt.jpg

You can see the icon in the Layers palate clearly shows the corrupted Background layer. There is also a bit showing on the Hi Pass Layer icon...

ScreenShot_corrupt.png

Next is a much larger (almost 2 GB) file with tons of layers that looked fine...

ScreenShot_alllayers.png

…but when the High Pass layer is isolated you can see the corruption clearly...

ScreenShot_highpass.png

Shortly after taking these screen caps, the rest of the layers all got corrupted, and all the layer mask icons looked like checkerboards with the blocky transparency. Deleting the affected layers and adding them back in didn't help…they would just get corrupted again. Deleting the corrupted layers, saving the remaining file and quitting didn't help…opening the file again and attempting to add the layers back would result in still more corruption. I found some success in starting from scratch, doing one or two things, saving, then quitting Photoshop. Then I would duplicate the file, reopen Photoshop and do one or two things, save again, then quit Photoshop again…repeat a hundred times! Not exactly a workflow I can live with...

And the really messed up thing is that this is happening with both CS6 and the CC version. I'm working on a MacPro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 24 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC, ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB card, on OS X 10.8.5

Any help will be greeted with loads of praise!

BT

• 1. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...
          gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Let's see if it's a Preferences problem. It's very common, yet easy to fix. You use it especially when Photoshop acts up and you know you didn't tamper with your installation or settings.

Hold down cmd-opt-shift and start Photoshop. You will see a "Delete Settings" dialog. Answer "Yes" and allow Photoshop to keep loading.

Let's see if that fixes it.

• 2. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...
            Brad_Trent Level 1

I'll try it, but what 'Settings' will be deleted?

BT

• 3. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...

Basically your settings under Photoshop > Preferences, and the workspace will be defaulted to Essentials. Your saved workspaces will still be there. Thumbnail sizes under the layers panel will go down to small, and while your custom brushes and patterns are safe, you will start out with the stock defaults.

This should explain it more,

Photoshop Help | Preferences

• 4. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...
                Brad_Trent Level 1

This seems to have helped…I am now able to delete and redo the affected (corrupt) layers, which at the very least I couldn't do half an hour ago…if this holds, where do I send the bottle of wine?!!

BT

• 5. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...

It should hold, but give it time to be sure before you mark my answer as correct. That adds 10 points to my "knows what he's talking about" score.

I just bought some wine yesterday, but if you are out of the ditch and back to getting the work done, that should be thanks enough.

Nice work on the Chess theme, btw.

Gene

• 6. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...

I noticed it's Photoshop CC 2014. I use the Sync feature extensively, and it's improved very much.

I uploaded everything on my Mac Photoshop. When I had to reset my Windows Photoshop CC 2014, I used the Sync feature to download all my custom patterns, tools and so forth. That saves a lot of time getting things back to normal.

Gene

• 7. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...
                      Brad_Trent Level 1

Thanks for your help…I think this has solved the issue. And two hours on the phone with India didn't get me anywhere…!!!

Here is the final cover image (and cover)...

_roundtable_2015_wk1_cover_v3.jpg

Barrons_011915_Trent-Cover.jpg

• 8. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...
                        Brad_Trent Level 1

And...it's back! After yesterdays Cloud update, my file destroying problem is back again. I don't know if the update had anything to do with it, but after hours of working on some images, they all got killed by the same issue. Three hours on the phone only got me nowhere with Adobe saying that since it can't be replicated repeatedly they have no idea how to fix it. No OpenGL...Graphics Processor turned off...and an hour after I got off the phone it happened again!

Thoughts?!!

BTwisdomtree_group.jpg

• 9. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...

Hi Brad,

Have you upgraded to CC 2015 since we last spoke?

For the sake of getting work done, you can reinstall CC 2014 and work on it there. At least you were able to fix it there.

I just was in a thread about a stubborn AMD driver and might tell  you what I know there.  AMD graphics card issue   You could go to Download Drivers (AMD graphics drivers. it should auto-detect your card) and see if a new driver helps.

But let's get CC 2014 reinstalled if the upgrade to CC 2015 deleted it.

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 10.34.42 PM.png

• 10. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...

I might want to add it is a perk of CC to also install and use earlier versions, which comes in handy if the advanced versions are having problems with your system.  With the switch from Flash to HTML panels in Photoshop an earlier version can run plugins you rely on that have not been updated.

It's a spare tire. I keep CS6 around if I need to help out a user who still has it.

Gene

• 11. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...
                              Brad_Trent Level 1

Yes...the problem reappeared a few weeks after I installed the 2015 update, but not until an incremental update last week that auto-installed after I turned on my computer. As for graphics...ATI Radeon HD 5770. And I have CS6...and it used to do the same damned thing on it, too!!!

• 12. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...

Ok, just a few things to look at without making it worse.

(Oops turning off GPU did no good)   Resetting Preferences helped last time. Not this time?

2015 just had a bugfix update yesterday. No guarantees, but it fixes a lot of issues with 2015.  Patch Update 2015.0.1 released

Adobe Camera Raw since 9.0 has added a "Use GPU" function that you can check off in settings. It was notorious for causing black squares while zooming in and out in Photoshop, but there was no file corruption as far as I could tell. Uncheck "Use GPU" in ACR Preferences to be safe.

Ref: Re: Photoshop has suddenly started placing a large black box ontop of the image - its only present on the monitor if I save the image it has gone - the box (some times black sometime white) obscures what Im doing

You have OSX 10.8.5  I'm surprised 2015 installed. 10.9 is now the minimum.  System requirements | Photoshop

I would recommend an upgrade to 10.9 but not 10.10  The problem with Mac OSX is that they install Graphics drivers with the system upgrades and won't allow you to get updates from the makers.

In some Macs you may have 2 graphics cards, one lower power onboard and the high performance card. You may want to disable automatic switching so the high permance card is always enabled.

MacBook Pro and MacBook Pro with Retina display computers: How to set graphics performance - Apple Support

These are a few ideas. This is kind of a tough problem and since you have Creative Cloud, you are entitled to higher level support from Customer Care (although I  think you told me they did not work out too  well, but I think you may get lucky and find someone who knows this problem).

If you want to give it a another spin: Contact Customer Care

Gene

• 13. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...

I forgot you already turned off the GPU.  Cmd-Opt-Shift and starting Photoshop cleared something like this last time. It's not fixing the problem?

• 14. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...
                                    Brad_Trent Level 1

OK...three weeks has passed...I've been on the phone with tech support a few times, but the problem doesn't repeat whenever they take over my computer. And then this morning it comes back with a vengeance. The Graphics Processor has remained off all this time, so that really doesn't seem to be the issue. But the one thing that IS constant is that this problem happens 95% of the time when I use the High Pass Filter!

Here's how it destroyed my file this morning...

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 11.43.24 AM.png

• 15. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...

I'm way out of ideas, Brad, and you are not getting traction from the higher levels of support.

As a CC member, you can install and use CS6, CC, as well as CC 2014 and CC 2015. One of those may work.

Here's how to install the from the CC Panel:

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 10.34.42 PM.png

• 16. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...
                                        Brad_Trent Level 1

The problem is, it happens in CS6 as well.....and it's just as non-repeatable as in CC. I'm literally at the end of my rope. As I've been working today, it's happened twice more. And the only thing that saves me is as part of my new-and-improved workflow I am now forced to save-as copies every ten or so history levels in order to ensure that I have a non-corrupted file. That way, when the inevitable corruption happens, I can grab the previous saved file and just have to redo a few levels, instead of the whole damned thing! Just count me as one super-dooper happy Adobe user......

• 17. Re: Major File Corruption Problem...
                                          kwalsh725

Same thing is happening to me with gaussian blur! its happen with high pressure projects twice in the past month, both with gaussian blur. I noticed its on days when i spend all day in PS CC 2015, about 6 hours in and i will lose an entire file. Its heartbreaking. Then it happens again in the rebuild, but like Brad, I'm saving files in stages, this was i can spare myself some time. Adobe needs to recognize this issue! it has happen to me many times over the past 10 years, all on different machines, systems, etc. All when i apply a filter. Once i see the weird lines in the file i know its toast. I have to start form scratch. Please help adobe! What is wrong here?!

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 3.52.53 PM copy.png