• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Pop Up when I first turn on the computer telling me there is a Flash Player update - Is this actually from Adobe? Is it probably malware?

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pop up when I first turn on the computer that tells me that an update for Flash Player is available. Is this actually from Adobe or is this some prospective malware to be avoided? It pops up even before I log on to my ISP.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Hi Tom,

If you have a Windows machine, this could be a valid dialog.  If you have your Flash Player configured to notify you when an update is available, when Flash finds an update is available it creates a registry entry to display the notification upon log in.  If you'd like to verify if this is valid, please take a screenshot of the dialog window and post it here.  Also, when the dialog displays, open Task Manager and look for a FlashUtil_VersionNumber.exe process.  Get the exact file name and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

If you have a Windows machine, this could be a valid dialog.  If you have your Flash Player configured to notify you when an update is available, when Flash finds an update is available it creates a registry entry to display the notification upon log in.  If you'd like to verify if this is valid, please take a screenshot of the dialog window and post it here.  Also, when the dialog displays, open Task Manager and look for a FlashUtil_VersionNumber.exe process.  Get the exact file name and post it here as well.

Alternatively, you can update Flash Player on your own by going to get.adobe.com/flashplayer.  Once Flash Player is updated you should not receive any more updates (unless you elect to receive notifications at which point, the notification will display when an update is available).  If you use multiple browsers, you'll want to visit this page with each browser, as it's configured to detect the OS/browser and offer the appropriate player type depending on the browser.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Maria,

Thanks for your quick response to my question. As I am not currently at

my own computer, I cannot say if I received an update notice today.

However, I will send you a screen shot of one as soon as actually

receive it.

Your explanation has given me some comfort that I am probably receiving

the update notice from Adobe rather than some unsolicited and

undesirable "provider."

Thanks again,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, Tom.  For notification updates, Flash Player doesn't check for an update daily, so it may be a few days before you see the notification again.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines