4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 12:51 PM by areohbee

Lightroom back up help?

renaeb74061170

I had lightroom on my last computer and just found out today (long story short) the logic board has failed so I no longer can use it. I uploaded lightroom to my back up computer it works fine but my question is.. is there anyway I can get my last photos I edited back? I had backed it up not long ago so I didn't know if it would work?

thank you so much!

• 1. Re: Lightroom back up help?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you can get the catalog you were using as well as the images that you edited then you should be able to link the images to the catalog on the other computer and all of the editing should be in place.

• 2. Re: Lightroom back up help?
            areohbee Level 5

renaeb74061170 wrote:

is there anyway I can get my last photos I edited back? I had backed it up not long ago so I didn't know if it would work?

Well, if your hard drive is OK, then your Lr catalog should be there on it - no need to resort to a backup, just connect the hard drive to your "new" computer and you should be able to open the catalog without moving it.

Alternatively, you could copy selected contents (including Lr catalog) from previous hard drive to new drive..

• 3. Re: Lightroom back up help?
              renaeb74061170 Level 1

Not sure how to reply to both you and JimHess so hopefully he sees this.

But basically my iMac had a whole system failure from hardrive failure and logic board. Today they said they will inclose the hard drive and try to get as much info back as possible.

My iMac had the newest version of Lightroom and many custom presets I created with a clients photos half edited already (she has seen most of the picturs now and I worry I can't recreat it, I do have the original raw files on my sdhc card so worse case her pictures can still be re-edited).

on my back up mac mini when I first started taking pictures as a hobby I bought my friends lightroom 3 from her. On that there are my older things I don't really care about, and obviously none of my new presets.

So I deleted my mac mini lightroom 3 and because now I will have to use the mac mini (until I can afford a new iMac) I deleted the old lightroom and went to adobe and re-downloaded my newer lightroom. But I think it accidently synced because for some reason all I see is my way old presets (when I was first starting out) and my old pictures. I'm really concerned I won't get my new custom presets back and I just don't understand why it would open my old presets/pics but have none of my new ones since all the new stuff was on the new lightroom 5.

I hope this makes sense and I'm not just confusing you guys more

thank you so much for all your help.

• 4. Re: Lightroom back up help?
                areohbee Level 5

I'm gonna bow out: Jim - it's all you..