4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 7:39 PM by VidNoob

Red 4k footage with denoise or sharpen effects brings system to crawl/lockup

VidNoob Level 1

I5 2500k intel 16gb RAM gtx970 gpu.  Neat Video reduce noise plugin,  any sharpen filter,  these just kill the program and either lock it up or close to it. What can I do to help this?

• 1. Re: Red 4k footage with denoise or sharpen effects brings system to crawl/lockup
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

An i5 CPU with 16gb RAM is rather low-powered for even 1080p with noise reduction ... and that's before finding what your disc arrangement is.

If you're running on only one or 2 internal discs or an internal and external via say USB3 ... that would be another huge bottleneck to your system plowing through this. So ... what's the disc arrangement and program/cache/footage layout plus the connections for the dics. Noise reduction is VERY hardware-intensive.

Neil

• 2. Re: Red 4k footage with denoise or sharpen effects brings system to crawl/lockup
            VidNoob Level 1

Array is OS and cache on separate 256gb SSDs and the footage on a 7200 internal.  I dont have that drive on the higher speed 6gb through put though,  would need another esata controller card.  I assume that pales in  comparison to upgrading the mobo and cpu though. 

• 3. Re: Red 4k footage with denoise or sharpen effects brings system to crawl/lockup
              R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Highly recommend with that kind of footage you hie thee over to the Hardware Forum and especially the Tweakers Page and go through their articles. Not made by someone who "knows" but by folks who test, and also have the testing stuff for you to download & benchtest your own machine. It includes a monitoring program that logs your hardware's actions/timings while you render a PrPro file they've supplied ... short but potent with things that tax every bit of your machine, from disc in/out & read/writes to CPU to mobo bus specs to GPU & vRAM use ... after you send the datalog back, they interpret it and can tell you exactly where your bottlenecks lie.

It's not about a hot part of your system, but getting a group of parts that work well together. Putting a really hot vCard in your machine isn't going to do much for you if you've only got one drive to run everything on ... and likewise the hottest CPU out there won't scream for you with a lousy system bus. And you can easily blow money on parts that don't get you anywhere ... so reading up on that stuff is useful.

You'll note, they suggest either 4-5 discs running off the mobo directly or through eSATA II or say an SSD for system and a 4/5 disc array in RAID 0 or similar for everything else ... as there's a LOT of readin' & writin' going on here, and you've got to have a bus that can handle this without stacking most of the drives on the same "circuit". Mobo's are the heart of the matter, to connect your discs and processing capability quickly then you put balanced cash into CPU, RAM, and GPU. It's all there to read ... and I do recommend testing your machine. You'll know, not guess ...

Neil