7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 3:32 AM by Willi Adelberger

Placing a PNG file into Indesign

Footy66

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbee with design and design software.....

I am using the latest version of InDesign.

I have a logo (.png file) that I want to place into my InDesign file. I have used the FILE > PLACE function, but the logo is appearing blurry and low quality..........

To fix this in the past, I have directly dragged the logo from Illustrator into Indesign and it displays perfectly. I understand this is a different way of doing it which also displays the paths.......

Problem is I don't have Illustrator anymore to be able to do this.

Are there alternative ways I can get this logo into InDesign and display clearly, instead of being blurred?

Thanks guys.

• 1. Re: Placing a PNG file into Indesign
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Check View>display performance>high quality display.

Is the png file is high resolution?

• 2. Re: Placing a PNG file into Indesign
            Footy66 Level 1

The high quality display thing didn't work.

I'm not sure if it is high resolution. Is there a way to tell just from a .png file what the resolution is?

I guess it is a resolution problem. It's a bit complicated but I got the logo from another designer through someone else - so don't really have contact with them.

I have the illustrator file...but just don't have illustrator....

I guess my only option is to get illustrator and either drag into Indesign or save it in higher resolution and then place it into Indesign?

• 3. Re: Placing a PNG file into Indesign
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

"Drag and drop" sounds like you are not aware you can immediately place the original Illustrator file into InDesign.

• 4. Re: Placing a PNG file into Indesign
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Why did you use a PNG file at all?

If it is a logo, a vector file would be the best solution, then use not PNG, use AI or PDF/X-4 from Illustrator instead. You said, you have the illustrator file, use that.

File > Place… > select your Illustrator file

If you have only a rasterized version (not recommended for a logo), save in Photoshop a PSD or PDF and place that into InDesign.

Avoid PNG in InDesign.

The other thing is the display performance as described above.

• 5. Re: Placing a PNG file into Indesign
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you place a file into InDesign it creates a low-resolution proxy (sample image) for display purposes only. It creates a link to the original file for final output.

Regardless of how it looks in InDesign - it should output to the same high quality vector goodness if you've placed a Vector File.

And consider getting Illustrator again, InDesign is a great program, but it really needs support of Illustrator and Photoshop for complete control on designs.

• 6. Re: Placing a PNG file into Indesign
                    Footy66 Level 1

Hi,

I did do that but it displayed even more blurred then when placing a .png file.......so I assumed it hadn't worked.

I have now placed the ai file in again - again it looks very blurred - I exported it as a high quality pdf and BOOM it appears clear.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry I'm pretty dumb with file types/sizes/how to transfer them from one piece of software to another.....and what will make you laugh it: I have a degree in Graphic Design. Just shows you how much of a joke my 3 year course was. I was taught nothing by my lecturers. We were just given briefs and told to go away and design things and then get critiqued over and over again. No actual tutorage in software, layout, file types, printing.....nothing....ok there was a bit but maybe just an hour tutorial in photoshop in the whole time I was there.

PS. I am not a Graphic designer because of this. I am simply doing an emagazine for my brother. Thankfully what I have created looks fairly decent. haha.

• 7. Re: Placing a PNG file into Indesign
                      Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

When a placed AI file comes blurry you can set the display performance on high quality as others have written here.

When I take examen for digital designer I take care foremost on technical issues. If the styles and types are ok, in most cases the design looks better as if they have a technical mess which results often in a design mess too.