17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 11:05 AM by Jeffrey_Smith

Mac or PC

anetteh45061468

My employer wants me to switch from Mac to PC.
      I don’t want this but need valid arguments for what might be the problem in the future.
      I work in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
      All documents until now have been produced in Mac.
      Help!
      - Anette

• 1. Re: Mac or PC
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Program files are identical.

If you use OTF fonts it is not a problem, if you use other fonts you must license the window counterpart.

On the Mac you have the advantage of an extended keyboard as every key has 4 glyphs (key, key+shift, key+alt, key+shift+alt). This productivity factor you will miss.

On windows you have to access the same glyphs via alt+4 numbers of the numeric keyboard.

• 2. Re: Mac or PC
            Migintosh Level 4

I'm a Mac guy, and it's what I'm used to, but there are lots of people on the forum who use InDesign on both platforms, and aside from the differences in the way you access ID through the OS, they usually say that the two versions are just about identical.

That said, if you have older Mac files that use Mac fonts, you won't be able to use them on the PC unless you change the fonts. Macs can use PC fonts, but not the other way around. If you used OpenType fonts, you are good to go on either platform. If you do the switch, you will probably have more to learn about Windows than you will about ID on the PC.

• 3. Re: Mac or PC
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Pretty much been summed up with the two above posts.

I'll just say, PCs have come a long way since the mid 2000's.

If your employer spends as much on a PC as they would a Mac for you then you'll get a similar computing experience.

• 4. Re: Mac or PC
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Eugene Tyson wrote:

If your employer spends as much on a PC as they would a Mac for you then you'll get a similar computing experience.

Maybe better, since apple has always charged a premium. But this is an important point that Eugene has raised. Unlike Mac, where you have a choice of perhaps a dozen models, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of PCs to choose from (including building your own) and they are not all created equal. A typical low-end PC designed for office applications is not likely to perform well as a graphics workstation. Make sure you get a PC with a top-of-the-line processor and LOTS of RAM, as well as dedicated video card.

• 5. Re: Mac or PC
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Willi Adelberger wrote:

On the Mac you have the advantage of an extended keyboard as every key has 4 glyphs (key, key+shift, key+alt, key+shift+alt). This productivity factor you will miss.

Then again, on Windows you have instant access to all menus and every element inside dialog boxes using the keyboard only. As I am used to using this, my productivity suffers on the Mac. Example: to apply a master page, I only have to hit Shift+Alt+M; page range is selected so I can leave it as is or type a new range; Shift+Tab selects the list of masters; pressing the cursor up/down keys, or starting to type the name selects a master page; pressing Enter applies. I never have to take my hands off the keyboard.

(I know: Apple claims you can use similar functions by enabling them in your system wide preferences. However, that is only true for their own software. None of Adobe's can work with it.)

• 6. Re: Mac or PC

To be honest, the work PC I have cost less than €1000 and it's an i7 4700k with 32gb RAM.

The HD 4600 on board graphics (built into CPU) is more than enough for InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash.

I'd only recommend a graphics/video card if you were editing a lot of video, but even at that video software rarely accesses the graphics/video card anyway.

If you're doing 3D animation or a lot of 3D rendering, then a graphics card would be worthwhile.

But you know what they say - buy for the future, not the present.

• 7. Re: Mac or PC
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Unless you're using Digital Publishing Suite to create apps, there are no valid arguments for one platform over the other.

I use both Mac and Windows interchangeably. There is no productivity benefit of one over the other if you know both platforms.

Hardware, as already pointed out is all over the map for Windows. Choose wisely.

• 8. Re: Mac or PC
                        John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bob Levine wrote:

Unless you're using Digital Publishing Suite to create apps, there are no valid arguments for one platform over the other.

Bob, as someone who has little experience with DPS, I'd ask you to expand on that statement just a bit.

• 9. Re: Mac or PC

In order to create the app (not to be confused with a folio) you must have a Mac. The DPS app builder is a Mac only application and submitting apps to Apple also requires a Mac.

If you’re publishing to Windows or Android devices, you don’t need a Mac. The app builder is an online service.

• 10. Re: Mac or PC

Bob Levine wrote:

I use both Mac and Windows interchangeably. There is no productivity benefit of one over the other if you know both platforms.

When I was a dual-platform user the biggest problem I had was the keyboard and that feeling of schizophrenia with the placement of the modifier keys. You'll hit the Alt key instead of the Ctrl Key (because your mind is programmed to hit Cmd), and the "windows" key instead of the Alt key because you're programmed to hit Opt.

• 11. Re: Mac or PC

A big part of the reason that many companies want you to use PC instead of Mac is that they have an IT staff that is familiar with the platform and can do the required maintenance when something goes wrong. Finding qualified Mac techs is a lot harder, I think.

• 12. Re: Mac or PC
                                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ah right. That was explained to me once before. Thanks for the refresher, Bob.

• 13. Re: Mac or PC

I’ll give you that one, Peter. It did take a bit of getting used to but I really don’t have that issue anymore.

It’s kind of second nature now.

• 14. Re: Mac or PC

Took me a couple of months, as I recall.

• 15. Re: Mac or PC

Yeh the change over was annoying but in no limited me - just a tad frustrating until I got used to the keyboard setup.

Try working on a clients computer that has a Swedish keyboard - now that slowed me down lol.

Anyway - there's not much difference between Macs and PCs in terms of performance these days - invest in a decent computer and you wont' have an issue either way.

There's some difference in keyboard setups - but other than that the software is cross platform, and so too are files.

Only hurdle with files is fonts - which if not OTF  you may have some issues and need to convert. I use TransType Pro for this - and it's only a small fee to get you out of a hole.

• 16. Re: Mac or PC
                                        Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

On behalf of Adobe …

And having extensive experience using Adobe applications both under Windows and MacOS over the last 24 years …

You have gotten exceptionally good advice from very respected an knowledgeable users of Adobe's creative products.

In terms of functionality and performance, comparable hardware platforms yield comparable performance between platforms and functionality is with very few rare exceptions identical. Files created on one platform and be opened and edited on the other platform with the only issues being fonts and file naming.

In terms of fonts, if you use OpenType CFF, OpenType TrueType, or Windows-format TrueType fonts on the Macintosh, then those fonts work as-is under Windows. If you use MacOS-format TrueType, MacOS-format Type 1 fonts, or MacOS .dfonts on the Macintosh, you then need to concern yourself with getting OpenType versions of those fonts for true cross-platform compatibility. In some cases, you can get Windows-format Type 1 and TrueType equivalents of MacOS-format Type 1 and TrueType fonts and do direct substitutions. In any case, going forward, you are best off if you migrate all your fonts to OpenType technology since (1) OpenType is truly cross-platform independent, (2) OS vendors (i.e., Microsoft and Apple) are moving towards total lack of support for Type 1 fonts in non-Adobe applications, and (3) Adobe applications are optimized for use of OpenType fonts.

In terms of file naming, if you use standard file type suffixes, i.e. .indd, .ai, .pdf, .jpg (or .jpeg), .tif (or .tiff), etc., and you avoid reserved characters such as colons, quotes, slashes, etc., you should be successful with cross platform of compatibility.

Please keep your mind open. There are plenty of platform fanboys and bigots. From our experience, assuming you buy Windows-based products from reputable suppliers, the performance, build quality, and reliability of Macs and Windows-based systems are the same. Ultimately, the choice may come down to personal preference in the same way that a Chevrolet, Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes, and a Dodge can all get you from point A to point B, but you prefer one over the other for the experience or the feel. Or it may be that your company simply tells you to move from one platform to the next for reasons of economics and support cost.

Good luck!

- Dov

• 17. Re: Mac or PC
                                          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Anette, bosses always seem to be concerned about costs, here are two questions that may be factors:

How old is your mac?

A newer computer, regardless of platform does not need replaced, unless cost is not an issue.

What version of adobe software are you using?

If you are using anything less than Creative Cloud, you will need to figure in the cost of a monthly subscription in the switch to a PC