11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2015 10:29 AM by crateofunk

After Effects CC almost unusable

crateofunk

I recently upgraded form CS6 to CC and I can't believe how much worse it performs. RAM preview and render times seem slower but on top of that I have to restart every couple of hours as performance gets slower and slower despite emptying out the cache. The user dialogue when importing files is also painfully slow when importing image sequences.

I can't see much of this type of complaint online so I am left wondering whether the issue is to do with my hardware or how I have the settings configured.

I am running it on a Mac Pro with 2x 2.26GHz quad Xeon processors and 12GB RAM.

Anyone else having these problems?

• 1. Re: After Effects CC almost unusable
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your exact version number of AE (down to the last decimal)?

What is the full version number of your OS?

Why do you have such a tiny amount of RAM?

• 2. Re: After Effects CC almost unusable
            crateofunk Level 1

Version is 2014.2

OS is 10.9.5

I know 12GB isn't a huge amount of RAM but it's been good enough on previous versions of AE. Do you think it would make a big difference if I got more?

• 3. Re: After Effects CC almost unusable

crateofunk wrote:

I know 12GB isn't a huge amount of RAM but it's been good enough on previous versions of AE. Do you think it would make a big difference if I got more?

I think it would be noticeable.

Can you describe the rest of your hardware and settings? For example, where is your cache pointing?

What are your memory and multiprocessing settings?

Have you accidentally turned ray-traced rendering on for your comp?

Also, try loading up version 12 (the first CC version) and see if it performs better. Creative Cloud Help | Install previous versions

• 4. Re: After Effects CC almost unusable
                crateofunk Level 1

RAM is 12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1536 MB GPU

I have the Cache on a super fast server with fiber connection so I don't think that's the issue.

I've also tried playing with all types of memory configurations without seeing much difference, Multiprocessing is off.

I can understand that more RAM would speed up general performance but If it was the main cause then surely purging the cache would have some effect, at least temporarily? Currently it does nothing.

I tried loading version 12 but it says it's not compatible with my version of OS.

• 5. Re: After Effects CC almost unusable

crateofunk wrote:

I tried loading version 12 but it says it's not compatible with my version of OS.

You have to let it update. 12.2.x should work on it.

crateofunk wrote:

I have the Cache on a super fast server with fiber connection so I don't think that's the issue.

Try putting it on a local drive and see if that helps.

• 6. Re: After Effects CC almost unusable
                    crateofunk Level 1

I've tried putting the cache on a local drive without improvement.

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll try version 12 with the updates and get back later.

• 7. Re: After Effects CC almost unusable
                      crateofunk Level 1

I've been trying out version 12 today. It's still noticeably slower than CS6 but the performance doesn't seem to degrade over time in the same way as the 2014 version. I don't understand how a software updgrade can be so much slower than the versions it's replacing.

• 8. Re: After Effects CC almost unusable

crateofunk wrote:

I don't understand how a software updgrade can be so much slower than the versions it's replacing.

There are actually a number of ways that could happen. In your case, none of them should have.

I'm pretty surprised that you're not on Yosemite. There have been a number of weird RAM issues with Yosemite and I was kinda hoping that might be it. It wouldn't have been a good answer for you, but it would possibly have helped the Adobe team figure out exactly where the problems are and/or give them more ammo to make Apple fix some of the problems. More data, more better, as they say.

I'm at a loss as to what the issue might be. I'm not experiencing any of your issues on my end. If you have the time, contacting Adobe's technical support team wouldn't hurt.

• 9. Re: After Effects CC almost unusable
                          crateofunk Level 1

For the time being I'm just going to stick to CS6 but I'm looking at upgrading to a new mac at some point. Do you have any recommendations as to what type of setup would get the most out of CC? The top end iMacs look pretty strong.

• 10. Re: After Effects CC almost unusable

crateofunk wrote:

Do you have any recommendations as to what type of setup would get the most out of CC?

A PC.

I used to love Apple's products, but lately they don't seem to be building their products with proffesional end users in mind. Considering how many posts I've seen from folks who got (and now hate) the new Mac Pro's, I'm pretty convinced that I wouldn't want any of their stuff for pro work. Now, iMacs still seem to be doing reasonably well and I've heard fewer complaints about them (but Yosemite - good heavens!). However, you can get a lot more bang for your buck with a PC. Windows 7 is a pretty flawless OS for working with C4D and Adobe Creative Cloud. However, you do have to do an awful lot of shopping around for a PC vs. just going to Apple to getting an iMac. So, you know, pick what works best for you.

For After Effects, the most important things are a fast clock speed on your CPU, lots of RAM, and an SSD for your cache. For Premiere and certain third-party plugins for AE, the GPU matters.

Here is a link you might consider watching: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/event/index.cfm?event=set_registered&id=2490687&loc=en_us

In it, folks from the AE and Premiere teams discuss how the software uses hardware. It should help you get some ideas for what to focus your budget toward.

This page should also help: optimizing for performance: Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects

• 11. Re: After Effects CC almost unusable
                              crateofunk Level 1

Thanks for your help. Plenty to consider there.