5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 12:49 PM by Peter Spier

Indesign CS4 issues

alexw51357661

Hello, I have been using Indesign cs4 for years now, suddenly it will not open my indd files anymore? It says I need to update my plugins or upgrade to newer version of Indesign? These indd files were created and edited with CS4 so I don't understand why this is happening. I checked for updates and it said there were none available. Any assistance would be great appreciated!

• 1. Re: Indesign CS4 issues
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

alexw51357661 wrote:

These indd files were created and edited with CS4 so I don't understand why this is happening.

That error message indicates that at some point the file was saved in a newer version of ID.

• 2. Re: Indesign CS4 issues
            alexw51357661 Level 1

Hi Peter, thank you for your help. I'm not sure how these files were saved to a newer version. I found an older document and I am now getting the message "uses one or more plugins which are currently not available on this system. Do you want to open anyway? the missing plugin is SHAREDCONTENT.RPLN  I opened anyway and it still didn't open giving the original message I provided before?

Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Indesign CS4 issues

Again, saved in CS5 or later (I don't recall when the shared content plugin was introduced, whether in CS5 or 5.5).

you can use the script at Adobe Forums: [Ann] Identify Your InDesign File to determine which version was used to save the file.

• 4. Re: Indesign CS4 issues
                Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Points to note:

- you cannot accidentally save in a newer version than you are using

- if the file is opened in a newer version for any reason it will be converted if saved. So if a trial was used, or a colleague looked at the file, this may have updated

- to put it another way, each version of InDesign can open older files, can never open newer files, and will always save to the current version, no matter what version made it.

- there is no way back except backups or IDML.

• 5. Re: Indesign CS4 issues

Test Screen Name wrote:

Points to note:

- you cannot accidentally save in a newer version than you are using

- if the file is opened in a newer version for any reason it will be converted if saved.

But it takes a conscious effort to overwrite the old version at that time -- ID would have automatically appended (Converted) to the file name and required a Save AS when working with a legacy file, so if these really were CS4 files originally, somebody deliberately overwrote them.