7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 7:17 PM by A.T. Romano

Looking for 1080p 30p/60i Project Preset in Elements?

MrJustinSilva

Currently the only preset that comes close to my source video is "AVCHD Full HD 1080i 30p". Though my camcorder can shoot in 1080p at either 30p or 60i, I don't see a preset for either of these settings. Do I have to download it or would I have to use this workaround posted a while ago in this discussion Custom project settings in Elements?

I've tried using the preset "AVCHD 1080p 60fps" then just lowering frames to 29.97 in render settings and the video either came out just as good if not better than previous settings I was using.

Thank you for your help in advance.

• 1. Re: Looking for 1080p 30p/60i Project Preset in Elements?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MrJustinSilva

There no such project preset as AVCHD Full 1080i 30p.

If your camera is recording 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second, then your project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DSLR 1080p30@29.97 (depends on what the camera manufacturer claims is the frame rate 29.97 or 30).

If your camera is recording 1920 x 1080 and the frame rate described as 60i, then your project preset

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD Full HD 1080i30

The key here is to remember that 60i is the designation for 60 fields per second which is the counterpart of

29.97 interlaced frames per second.

There is no need to try to create your own project preset as described in your 2009 reference.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above. If need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Looking for 1080p 30p/60i Project Preset in Elements?
            MrJustinSilva Level 1

My frame rates regardless of recording in 60i or 30 always say 29 flat on my file properties after importing it onto my comp. I've just tested rendering with the DSLR preset and it seems the quality is a bit better. Should this be the case when comparing it to the "AVCHD Full HD 1080i 30"?

Thanks for your help so far.

• 3. Re: Looking for 1080p 30p/60i Project Preset in Elements?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MrJustinSilva

There is a basic concept difference in interlaced versus progressive frame rates. Short version - interlaced frame is made up of two fields and progressive frame is one frame without fields. Whomever sets the project preset, you (manually) or the project (automatically) needs to match the properties of the source media with the description of the project preset - that includes using a project preset described for interlaced video with your interlaced footage and using a project preset described for progressive video with your progressive footage.

60i is representative of 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second (that 60i refers to 60 fields , not frames, per second.) If you were in a PAL setup and had 50i video, that 50i would be

representative of 50 fields per second and 25 interlaced frames per second. (Not 24 as was seen posted in this forum recently.)

When there is the correct match of project preset with the properties of your source file, there is no colored line over that imported file's Timeline content. You automatically get the best possible preview in Edit for that moment. The project or you does not make the match on one factor, it or you use multiple criteria, typically frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, field order (field order is associated with interlaced video only).

Render11.JPG

But once you edit that video that was just dragged to the Timeline with the correct project preset, then you get the orange line

over its Timeline content as seen in the above screenshot. That orange line is telling you that, after the edit, you are no longer seeing the

best possible preview and, in order to see it, you should render the Timeline content.

Please review and consider. Please let me know if you need clarification on any of the above. Setting of the project preset is the start

to obtaining a successful project - import, edit, and export.

ATR

• 4. Re: Looking for 1080p 30p/60i Project Preset in Elements?
                MrJustinSilva Level 1

Okay that helps a lot. Though I'm not sure if I can change my project preset midway into editing as when I go to Edit > Project Settings > General it does not allow me to change "Editing Mode" or "Timebase"?

Thanks,

Justin

• 5. Re: Looking for 1080p 30p/60i Project Preset in Elements?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Justin

Thanks for the follow up.

The Adobe people say that you cannot change a project preset for a project once it has been established. You would need to start a new project to set a different project.preset.

But, I have shown how to do this for Premiere Elements earlier than version 13. This involves editing the Notepad document of the saved closed Premiere Elements project file.

But, often it is easier to start a new project than to go through the editing of that Notepad document.

But, here is a link to give you an idea of what that Notepad editing would look like in this regard.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings-without.html

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 6. Re: Looking for 1080p 30p/60i Project Preset in Elements?
                    MrJustinSilva Level 1

Thank you again, my last question or two regarding exporting are:

1) After running a few tests it seems that my 12Mbps target bitrate quality looks very close if not the same as my 24Mbps bitrate for my Canon VIXIA HF M50 on AVCHD MXP. When I exported in .MP4 and uploaded to youtube, the quality seemed again very close if not the same. I know youtube compresses files, is the bitrate something I can get away with lowering to speed up rendering and upload times without sacrificing quality?

2) I'd assume my overall quality would increase if I got a camcorder that could handle more than 24Mbps or is simply based off another parameter such as resolution and frames?

Thanks,

Justin

• 7. Re: Looking for 1080p 30p/60i Project Preset in Elements?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Justin

Each of your source videos from the camera will have a bitrate associated with it. But, it is the bitrate of the Premiere Elements export that will determine the bitrate.

If the bitrate from the camera is lower than the bitrate of the export, then the end product will have the higher bitrate of the export settings. And, conversely, if the bitrate

from the camera is higher than the bitrate of the export, then the end product will have the lower bitrate of the export settings.

The focus on bitrate relates to file size and quality. If you get into a file size crunch, often you can lower the bitrate in the Advanced export settings to find a

compromise between file size and quality and bitrate level. The generalization is that higher the bitrate the higher the quality and the higher the file size. And, the reverse is

the lower the bitrate the lower the file size and the lower the quality. You have to evaluate where the compromise point is for those 3 factors. It is not always the same for all your video files.

The higher bitrates are going to translate into larger file size which will impact your uploading and downloading times. I would go with the 1920 x 1080 and maintain the lowest bitrate that will give you good quality YouTube viewing. Probably, if you uploaded to YouTube 1280 x 720 instead, you might not be able to pick up on a significant quality issue in the playback and the lowered frame size would not be expected to make a major difference in file size. It is my understanding that YouTube converts your file - to a flash file and not sure of all that it does to the file at its end.

ATR