7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 8:02 PM by Mike Spag

QuickTime export suddenly no longer works.

Mike Spag

Hello,

We recently upgraded our new studio equipment from Final Cut Pro to Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014 on a brand new, latest edition Mac OS. We have had a handful of problems but most I have been able to work out. However, this recent one has me stuck and I need some help.

So far, we have been exporting our videos the last two weeks by going to File--Export--Media and then selecting the Format as QuickTime and Preset as HD 1080i 29.97, H.264, AAC 48kHz. We leave everything else alone and hit export (of course changing the output name, but dumping it in the same place as the project file is). These settings looked great and were what our clients preferred, and they matched our incoming video settings. The size of the output file was also not too bad.

However, yesterday for no reason it no longer works. Now, it says "Error compiling movie. Unknown error." when I try those settings and hit export.

I have verified that there is no specific video clip it does this with, all of our different intros and outros and video clips from this past weeks logs of video have all been loaded in and they get the same error, we can't export. They worked before so it can't be the video clips. In addition, it is ONLY with QuickTime. If I say select the format to be H.264 and then preset as say HD 1080i then it works. It works with all of the other presets and formats I have chosen EXCEPT the QuickTime format! Even choosing the other presets under QuickTime yields nothing.

Basically I can't seem to be able to produce .mov files anymore. In the directory I chose as the output, it creates a .mov file with the name of video I was trying to export but you can't open it and it has hardly any size.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? For now we are exporting at .mp4. It takes longer though and our files are much bigger and some of our clients have to do some converting so we'd like this fixed.

Mike

• 1. Re: QuickTime export suddenly no longer works.
          Mike Spag Level 1

Over the weekend I have found no fix. Any ideas?

• 2. Re: QuickTime export suddenly no longer works.
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not a mac person, but is it possible to reinstall Quicktime?

• 3. Re: QuickTime export suddenly no longer works.
              Mike Spag Level 1

Quicktime in built into the Mac OS...so its not something I can download and update separately. I did check for updates though and it did not have any.

I am not a Mac person either but this is what is being thrown at me unfortunately...

• 4. Re: QuickTime export suddenly no longer works.
                Mike Spag Level 1

Still no solution. Can anyone PLEASE help? My clients only accept .mov files and after days without videos things arn't going to well.

In the bottom right on the events area, it tells me "A low-level exception occurred in: QuickTime (Exporter)"

This is all of the details I can provide. Everything else works but not matter what I export in .mov then its a no go!

• 5. Re: QuickTime export suddenly no longer works.
                  Mike Spag Level 1

I have some updates, does anyone have any ideas?

After reinstalling the software, the problem was fixed and we could export with the QuickTime settings again. However, a couple days later the problem came back. What is wierd is that is only affected certain users. For instance, on my account I am still export .mov videos just fine. However, after the error showed up for someone midday , anyone who logged into Adobe Premiere for the first time since the installation but after the error appeared get the error. I logged in before the error appeared and do not get it.

I tried deleting the settings and files for specific people who have the problem, but it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

I am trying ti figure out what tripped the error, and can find no reason other than the potential that not having all of the files saved in one place where the video is exported as being a problem....as that is the only ting the person did differently than I did. They had there stuff saved in multiple places. However after fixing that that didn't fix the problem.

Lastly, we nee to export .mov with the H.264 codec. Most of the codecs don't work and changing other settings don't work....if its a .mov files qith QuickTime it fails with unknown errors. However, a couple strange Apple codecs work, but we can't use them because the files they produce are like 4-5GB big for our 3-4min videos.

Thanks....and feedback is appreciated.

• 6. Re: QuickTime export suddenly no longer works.
                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Mike,

After reinstalling the software, the problem was fixed and we could export with the QuickTime settings again. However, a couple days later the problem came back. What is wierd is that is only affected certain users. For instance, on my account I am still export .mov videos just fine. However, after the error showed up for someone midday , anyone who logged into Adobe Premiere for the first time since the installation but after the error appeared get the error. I logged in before the error appeared and do not get it.

Do all the other users have Admin capability? Perhaps they need to be in order to export those files.

Lastly, we nee to export .mov with the H.264 codec. Most of the codecs don't work and changing other settings don't work....if its a .mov files with QuickTime it fails with unknown errors. However, a couple strange Apple codecs work, but we can't use them because the files they produce are like 4-5GB big for our 3-4min videos.

If H.264 is needed, then why not export using a H.264 preset, not a QuickTime one. Most people have no trouble when exporting in this fashion.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 7. Re: QuickTime export suddenly no longer works.
                      Mike Spag Level 1

Kevin,

Thanks for getting back to me!!

Yes, everyone has full permissions. If we export with H.264 we get a .mp4

files, while we need a .mov file just using the h.264 codec option.

Michael